Poodle Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Lucky does not have a problem with flirting in crowds. He does not have much interest in other people or dogs. This is more of a Kit problem. Lucky does well in crowds and never barks. His issue is getting accustomed to a wide range of space. He dislikes places that are echoey, stinky, or where the ground moves. We’ve practiced in a number of places but it is an ongoing process.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The person who is acting weird is also a saboteur, don’t forget that. I wouldn’t bother with a confrontation, just get the letter and know there’s a snake in the grass.

Absolutely. This person typifies "tail wagging dog" and this dog will not pay any attention to the tail. My chairperson and I had a lengthy conversation about this person and his most immediate coworker. They are the latest iteration of a long standing problem in our department.

Right now I have been using "he's working" as a way to ward off the people who he is getting involved with, but I also have used stop flirting with people he knows and is very flirty with. It is improving, but Click-N-Treat I think you are right that I have to load it up better. His responses are weak, I need to make his response good enough that people will wonder if he is in danger of whiplash! Time to break out some good jackpots. Same for the BS in the car.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Good to hear that your meeting wasn't a disaster and that overall it went well enough.

Hopefully, the snake stays hidden in the tall grasses and never comes out to strike. Always frustrating when one bad apple ruins it for the rest. And like you said you wish he would have just said something to you instead of going through bureaucratic means. Fortunately, it seems like the bureaucracy is on your side for now.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Well things sound like they are moving in your favor and that is GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The bottom line with the snake in the grass is that he is a passive aggressive person (his pic could be there with the definition of the term). I am not the only person he does this to, so I consider myself in good company with the others who have to deal with his weirdness.

Thanks everyone for your support.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
good ending to this one, catherine. you are legal and no one can say otherwise. that's all that matters. i'll bet your interlocutor was relieved, too, that he didn't have to tell you you couldn't bring javelin to the campus. i still say they need to massage their approach, though. it's possible to ask for justification without seeming accusatory and upsetting people.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
He did say that he would have the question about asking for specifics on disability reevaluated. So that should make this easier for people in the future.

Reactions: patk

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
PHP:
He did say that he would have the question about asking for specifics on disability reevaluated. So that should make this easier for people in the future.
That is good, hopefully you’ve made a positive difference.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As far as keeping your letter from the doctor confidential... I guess it has to be that way for institutions. When I was the intake person for service dog team information, we made it a policy for the intake and mentor to both look at the note (with client present). We then checked off, and signed that the note had been read. The note was handed back to the client; no copies were made. This was the safest way, we could come up with, of keeping the information private. We needed to know the medical information for training purposes, but we did not want that letter to be in an office where multiple people would have access to it. If we ever needed to produce the letter, we knew who had it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since there are several people here who have poodles as service dogs or service dogs in training and we have great threads about training, but we don't have a specific discussion on legal issues related to service dogs I thought I would start one with the following item.

In my email this weekend was a message from my department chairperson regarding Javelin and accessibility in my workplace (a public community college, with a specific affirmative action officer whose responsibilities include ADA matters). The college has done tons of work to make itself ADA compliant and more safety savvy by replacing various doors, installing evacuation wheelchairs near stairwells, signage, AE defibrillators and the like. There are also sign language interpreters for students and deaf/hearing impaired faculty and we have a large Center for Students with Disabilities that provides testing and many other accommodations. Generally I think the institution does pretty well with this stuff.

Back to my email and my problem. Attached to my chairperson's email was a form that she said the Affirmative Action Office requires me to complete. First off I think the form is not really needed since I have informed public safety, my department and my students about having a service dog in training accompany me on campus. In my informational messages to those people I told them he was doing public access training (in NYS dogs in training are granted full access) and that he would also be learning tasks to assist me. This is all the ADA requires and, in fact, all that it allows. I was pretty taken aback by the form and what it asks for. Here it is:

"Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified employees with disabilities. This form provides a standard written documentation of an employee’s request for reasonable accommodation and is to be submitted to the Affirmative Action, ADA/504 Officer. The form may be submitted via the Department Head/Supervisor or directly to the Affirmative Action, ADA/504 Officer. Completing this form is not a guarantee that the request will be granted. Approved accommodations are subject to annual review.

Request From: ___ Date: __ Position/Title: __ Office Ext: __ Department: __ Supervisor: ____ Home Address: ___ ___ Home Phone: _ Cell Phone: __ PLEASE BRIEFLY ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-5 BELOW: (Continued on page 2 of form).
1. What is your disability? What, if any, job function are you having difficulty performing? ____ ____ ____
2. How does your disability impact your daily living outside of work? ____ ____ ____
3. How does the disability impact your ability to perform your duties at work? ____ ____ ____
4. Describe what you think will help you effectively perform your job and how that accommodation will assist you.
___

___ ___

5. Please list and attach your medical documentation, if available. Verification may be required.

To be completed by Department Head/Supervisor: Would the requested accommodation, if granted, fundamentally alter the position or impact any other employee’s job duties or position? Yes [ ] No [ ] If yes, please explain and/or provide any other relevant information.
____ ___ Signed: Department Head/Supervisor Date Print Name: Dept. Head/Supervisor (The department supervisor is responsible for implementing the accommodation, subject to approval.)

___ ____ ___ Signature of Employee Print/Type Employee Name Date Reviewed by AA Officer
Action(s) taken:

A.

Interactive Process – Meeting held with Requestor and supervisor -- union representatives may be present.
_ _ _ _ Date Initial Conference Date (if applicable) Initial
Outcome: ____ _
Granted/Approved __ C. Disapprove __

B.

__ __ Craig Wright, ADA/504 Officer Date
*Approved accommodations are subject to annual review, and may require resubmitting of medical documentation and/or update request form."

Are they kidding!!!!!!!! Don't they understand what they can and cannot ask? I particularly take issue with the first question and the 5th question (I highlighted red, but also think it is unfair to my department chair to ask her to be the arbiter of the "Interactive Process" since she is not an expert on disabilities or the ADA.

I wrote an email to the affirmative action officer and told him that under the ADA only allows the college to ask if the dog is needed because of a disability and what work or tasks the dog is trained (in this case being trained) to perform. I told him that indeed the dog is doing work because of a disability and told him the tasks that are being trained. I told him I beleieved that my email complied with my obligations under the ADA and I attached the ADA service dog requirements page from https://www.ada.gov /service_animals_2010.htm so that they can read what is actually allowed. I also said that I would be continuing to bring Javelin to work with me and that I hoped the information I had provided would helpt the institution to be in better compliance. Privately I wonder how many students who wanted to have service dogs with them have been either tricked into giving information they didn't need to or who have not brought their working dogs with them to campus because of this form.

Let's use this thread to talk about these kinds of service dog issues. I know there are plenty of people with lots of expertise here.
That is shocking and such an egregious violation of the ADA
-SD handler

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did eventually fill out the part of the form that I thought were in compliance with what could be asked and am still waiting for final resolution. In the meantime I am still bringing Javelin with me and finding new challenges almost every day, like last week when he barked a couple of times at a friend whom he has know since he was a puppy (granted he shouldn't bark, but we are working on it). A guy whose office is a couple of hundred feet down a long hall came out of his office and started screaming at me about how annoying the barking was, how I was a faker just looking to have a pet with me and how I had yelled at his son about skate boarding in the hall (which I don't think I did even though skateboarding on campus is illegal), so I had no right to tell him that why I had the dog with me was none of his business. On that front I went to get into the elevator today and he was in it already. He told me it was going down (our offices are up). I got in anyway saying it was no big deal to go down then back up, which I am happy to say seems to have given this man the chance to tell me he was sorry for his outburst last week, with the explanation that he was having a terrible day that day. I told him that I had been very upset by how vicious his words had felt to me, but that I was happy to now call it water under the bridge. We were together in the elevator long enough for me to also explain something about why I need the dog and that my life would be simpler on so many fronts if I could walk out the door without him.

I also met someone at the elevator later in the day who asked me questions about therapy and service dogs, explaining she had a puppy and she had asked her vet about how to be able to get the puppy to be a service dog to which the vet had replied "send these people $79 and they will send you a certificate!" Really from a vet?!? The woman is a student and I introduced myself, told her where my office was and to pay me a visit sometime so I could explain the realities to her. Hopefully she will show up sometime.
Service dogs are allowed to make mistakes

61 - 72 of 72 Posts