Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 10mo spoo seems to be having a second early puppyhood. Last night I caught Cleo chewing on the little plastic cap that covers the bolt that holds the toilet to the floor. She'd already swallowed some of it. (The rest came out today...which i guess is a good thing, ugh.) Then this morning, she was chewing on one of those baby-proofing outlet covers -- i don't even know where she found it, but i guess i missed one back when i removed all the babyproofing...now that my kids are in college! At least she didn't swallow any part of it.
Then, today at a doggie playdate, when her friend squatted to poop, guess who was there in a flash to catch some of it as it came out???? Ack! The horror!!! There was nothing i could do but call out to distract her, and then the squatting dog ran off in mid-poo, while Cleo looked super-pleased with herself. I'm just waiting for her to throw up, at this point. A couple months ago i gave her pills to make her own poop taste bad, when i noticed she had an interested in sampling her stools, and that seemed to solve that problem, but i am not sure how to stop her from eating her friends' productions while they're in the middle of playing and suddenly-- Ugh, whyyyy???

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You have my sympathy ! (She won’t throw up by the way, they don’t mind eating poo at all).

If you haven’t already, I strongly suggest investing in a crate and putting her in it every time she can’t be watched. This will save you a lot of heartache and possible serious injuries. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You have my sympathy as well! Maybe you can have Cleo on a leash while you're with her, and teach her leave it. Does she have a lot of chewys and toys? If you don't have one, I highly recommend a Himalayan cheese chew for Cleo. I agree with Dechi about putting her in the crate when she can't be watched.

I'm still training Sisko to behave around the house without getting into stuff! Sisko also used to put outlet plugs in his mouth, but he just held them in his mouth.

I'm sorry but I don't know what to do about her eating poo?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
You aren't the only one with a pup that likes to chew on non-food items. Wilson had a dog toy that talked when it was pressed on. It took him less than ten minutes to rip it to shreds, You can imagine my panic when I saw a tiny button battery by his foot. I scrambled to check for other batteries, and then opened a duplicate toy to count how many batteries I should be finding. He was a lucky pup and did not ingest any batteries. I threw away both toys.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time when my cat was sitting on the table, and vomited over the edge, into the mouth of my dog waiting below. Yuck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She did throw up the poop...in her crate overnight, bleah--i found it in the morning. The way i found out she was eating her own poop a while back was when she threw it up, undigested and whole (SO gross!!!!).
She sleeps in a crate at night, but when i'm not with her during the day, I keep her in the gated kitchen, and/or a safe, gated hallway off the kitchen where i can close the bathroom door. There's not much she can get into there. (And I work from home, so i'm around a lot.) I just never had to worry about the bathroom before. She was never interested in the trashcan or TP, or anything. But suddenly, she decided she was interested in that stupid plastic thing! So weird. Plus, she has several plush toys that she loves that are months-old, still intact, and yet she decided last night to chew a hole in her bed. She was sitting at my feet when she did it, and it seemed like she was surprised to find there was some cool soft stuff inside, and wasn't that interesting...I took it away and repaired it later. It's not the one that goes in her crate, so i can keep an eye on her when she's playing with it. It was very cheap and is not at all sturdy; it was hard to sew it without making new holes. I think she needs a more chew-proof bed with less interesting stuffing.
But meanwhile i will be very happy when she's out of this new phase, whatever it is--probably adolescence!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I feel your pain. Gracie has just gotten to the post where she stopped chewing and we have started to leave her out with the other dogs when we leave the house. So far so good, But I do make sure the remote is out of reach!

One thing she hasn’t outgrown, is being a poop eater. She stopped for a while but is now right back at it. Ugh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts