Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall,
I did a search of this forum on Septic Tank brands, but didn't find anything so I hope I am not re-posting a discussion. Im in South Louisiana and it is hot and humid down here so finding a place in my yard to dump "dog dumps" isn't a possibility. I also don't subscribe to filling out already over used garbage dumps with bagged poop that could biodegrade in such a short period of time. A lot of my friends poop scoop, put it in plastic garbage bags and put it out for garbage pick-up.
I, personally, think that is irresponsible if you have an alternative, and one is a dog septic system. And they are very affordable. BUT, there are a few different brands and I was hoping to get your experiences and brand suggestions. Pro's and Con's please.

Dog and Cat waste are not to go in your compost bins, and if they were, the amount of poop my two dogs make would overwhelm my little compost pile.

Any comments or experience info would be greatly appreciated.... :alberteinstein:

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
I agree with you 100% on not adding that material to the waste stream if there is an alternative. We have two of the largest size doggie dooley septic/doq waste composters. For us they go largely dormant in the winter since we are not hot all year round, but otherwise they have worked well for us. I just finished teaching my microbiology students all about the microbial role in composting and the virtues of recycling everything you can include dog and chicken poo along with the microbiology of sewage treatment.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Catherine, I have a dumb question. What do you do with the composted dog waste? Are there concerns with E coli or other pathogens after composting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Catherine, Doggey Dooley seems to be the system with the better reviews. I was thinking of getting 2 small systems so I can put them at different parts of my backyard. I don't know what type of drain off is better area in my yard. And I like the idea of 2 systems. I guess because Finn is still a puppy, and eats a lot, he must poop 3 and 4 times a day. I will probably need a couple of systems just to give one of them a rest on occasion and to flip flop there usage.

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
Skylar they system is open at the bottom so it continuously drains into the ground. I don't worry about microbes either since the liquified material is draining away.

I also think that if you had a large enough volume of compost going and weren't planning to use it soon or for growing veggies you could compost animal waste (especially in a zone with a cold winter and hot summer). Any potential pathogens are mesophiles and the extremes of temperature in summer vs. winter would be pretty inhospitable for E. coli and other gut lumen organisms.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Thanks, that was helpful.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Skylar they system is open at the bottom so it continuously drains into the ground. I don't worry about microbes either since the liquified material is draining away.

I also think that if you had a large enough volume of compost going and weren't planning to use it soon or for growing veggies you could compost animal waste (especially in a zone with a cold winter and hot summer). Any potential pathogens are mesophiles and the extremes of temperature in summer vs. winter would be pretty inhospitable for E. coli and other gut lumen organisms.
Lily! This brought to mind of how when we were kids my dad would drive us out to the chicken farm, and make my brother and I hold open gunny sacks for chicken poop, which was used as fertilizer in his very extensive vegetable garden! He made us do the same thing with visits to the dairy farm for cow manure!!!!! Oh how we moaned and groaned about having to do this LOL!!!

But our veggies were the best and prettiest and biggest!LOL!:eating:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts