Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, My fiance and I went to try food at a caterer. We had to leave Penny at home. We gave her her crate, chews, toys, water and placed them in the bathroom with a gate. I would leave her in the crate. However, She gets histerical in it. She fights the door to try to get out to be by my side. So I gave her treats that she loves. She would not eat. I went down stairs to go and boy did she cry. We left and stayed outside for a minute. I went to go see how she was two minutes later. Turns out she was at the front door. She had jumped the gate. I dont know how she did it. She is only 5 months minature poodle and about 11" tall and 8 pounds. We got her and took her to my Moms house. She got so worked up, however, she vomited a few minutes later when she was in the car. I do believe it was do to her upset of being alone in the house for a couple of minutes.

Any ideas on what I can do to stop her being so upset when shes not with me?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Dear Kate : (,

Sorry to tell you but there is no simple solution here. If she truly has separation anxiety you need professional help. If she "just" needs training, than you need to consult dog trainer that will asses situation and teach you how to train her. You may also try books about dog training and internet is also good place for info about crate training and all.

When did you get her ? How old is a pup ? She will have to learn to stay alone or you both will have big problems : (. I hope that she does not have true problem and that it is a case that you just got her and she just needs training.

You have to be very disciplined when you start training, pups are like little kids - they can read your body language and emotions and "work you" to their advantage very easily ; ) BUT, it might be a really bad case of anxiety : (( , it is hard to know without actually seeing puppy in person.

I wish you the best of luck !

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I do not think its separation anxiety, she is just being a puppy who does not want to be left alone.

I suggest you condition her to the crate, teach her to walk into it with the door open and treat her with a million dollar treat that she only gets once in the crate. Go slow, start by sitting by the crate and getting her to come to you, show her the tasty treat and set it in front of the crate, let her take and say praising words in quite voices. Repeat a few times then get up and walk away. Don't make a huge fuss. Once she will take the treat from in front of the crate move up by setting it inside the crate, when she takes it don't say anything, wait for her to come back to you for more treats and in a clam voice praise her and repeat until you can toss the treat to the back and she will go get it. Then you can move on to shutting the door once she is in but go slow, don't force her.

Does she sleep with you? I would get some sort of small blanket and rub it all over you so it smells like you and put it in her crate.

Also do not give into the whining you do it once and they will know by making a fuss they can get you to come back.

Just go slow and if you have to leave her alone in the bathroom shut the door & leave don't wait or go back to check on her she will be fine. She may got at it to the door but she will calm down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been crate training her as you stated for a couple of weeks. I got her to be in there for 30mins to an hour. However, she bites the door, claws at the door just to get. I do not want her to hurt herself. And today I witnessed how she gets over the gate. She actually climbs over. If it wasn't so frustrating. I would praise her for marvolous trick. So i have to be content and teach her no until she can remain home by herself with out any hassle.

We are currently in basic puppy training classes. She is doing real well. And she has never been like this until i returned home. I have had her since 8 weeks. I went a way for work for a couple of weeks and left her with my fiance. Now, she will not leave my side. I am thinking that this is what be the cause of it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have been crate training her as you stated for a couple of weeks. I got her to be in there for 30mins to an hour. However, she bites the door, claws at the door just to get. I do not want her to hurt herself. And today I witnessed how she gets over the gate. She actually climbs over. If it wasn't so frustrating. I would praise her for marvolous trick. So i have to be content and teach her no until she can remain home by herself with out any hassle.

We are currently in basic puppy training classes. She is doing real well. And she has never been like this until i returned home. I have had her since 8 weeks. I went a way for work for a couple of weeks and left her with my fiance. Now, she will not leave my side. I am thinking that this is what be the cause of it. Any thoughts?
This is a pretty good read about Separation anxiety.
http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the website you suggested. And these are the things that my penny is doing...

The dog chews on a variety of things, but chewing is often focused on items that smell most like you (or a particular person in your house) such as recently discarded clothes, including underwear or socks, or favorite chairs; and /or escape routes (doors or windows). The dog only chews these items when you're gone.
The dog tries to stay close to the things that smell most of you
The dog pees or poops inappropriately, sometimes in many locations
The dog always shows these behaviors when left alone, even for short periods (30 minutes or less).!!!!!!! even for a few seconds.
The dog sleeps with you.
The dog cannot be isolated from you at any time, even in a different room with the door closed!!!!!!!

So according to the website it is anxiety. I have been doing all the things its suggested but it seems like it getting worse. She more emotional when I am gone. Even if left with someone else (fiance) she runs around the house almost like looking for me. I have been trying to play she only plays for a few minutes and gets tired. We go for a walk and she gets tired. I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Katey - sounds like Penny has similar habits as my Snoops. I admit, it's 100% my fault. When I first got him, I put him in his crate to sleep. I lasted thru the sadness for about 30 minutes... he has slept in bed with me ever since. He goes everywhere with me.. we do everything together.. he's my shadow! Unfortunately, he finds it very difficult to be apart from me. He can last a few hours, but anything over 8 hours and he loses his mind. It's clear that he misses me and is angry with me for leaving, but grateful that I am back - mixed emotions!
He won't leave my side, and can sense when I'm getting ready to leave the house. He will sit on my shoes, or sit in front of the door. It's heartbreaking! Fortunately, he doesn't tear the house apart when I'm away. He doesn't chew on anything other than his toys, he doesn't make a mess in the house. In fact, he is quite well behaved.
When he gets to hang out with our other dog he seems to be much better. It's when he has to be totally alone, or baby-sat by Grandma (who he loves, btw) that he gets sad... he just wants his momma!

Good luck with Penny! She is adorable :love:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Do you have a certified traininer in your area, if so seek their help. If not there are a few good books out there, PM me and I can suggest the ones that my trainer has for me. This is going to take time and patience and re-training yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she at first did sleep by herself when she was with my fiance. but now I dont know whether she is just scared of being by herself and i leaving her for a long period of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a certified traininer in your area, if so seek their help. If not there are a few good books out there, PM me and I can suggest the ones that my trainer has for me. This is going to take time and patience and re-training yourself.
Hi could i have the titles of some of those books on separation anxiety, i have a poodle with the same probem, thank you

·
Registered
335 Posts
One of my poodles has a similar problem when I leave-I have to pull him into his cage and when I pull into the garage, I can hear him howling and barking-don't know whether he does this the whole time I am gone-am going to check out these books-thanks also.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I wouldn't assume it's an actual case of full-blown separation anxiety so quickly. When we first got Beau as a six-month-old, we tried crating him. He hated it, big time. So we put gate across our tiled kitchen/family room, and "poodle-proofed" the area. He relaxed and in general life got better. However, I work from home, so he is rarely alone. During those early months, when we would go out (never for very long), he would sit behind the gate and howl like a banshee. I set up a web cam once, and at 2.5 hours in, he was still crying. I worried, assumed the worst, and read many of the SA books recommeded in this thead. After a few months, though, we took the gate down, and gave Beau free run of the house. He proved totally worthy of our trust, and relaxed even more. Very quickly, we found we could leave him alone for longer and longer periods. He clearly didn't enjoy this (nor did I), but there was no more crying, and he's never had an accident or destroyed anything. Last week we left him alone for 9 hours, the longest ever. He got a stuffed, frozen kong and a few other high-value treats when we left, and took them up to his "perch" on the top of the stairs, where as far as I can tell he waited patiently for us to come home. (You should see the greeting we get!)

So is it possible your pup has SA? Maybe. But don't jump to that conclusion. Beau is clingy and never lets me out of his sight, and he sometimes sleeps in our bed. But that doesn't mean he has SA, it just means he's a typical poodle! Give your pup time, and as you relax, maybe she will, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
fixing link

Separation Anxiety will take a lot of patience to change...but it CAN be done.

I used to have Greyhounds, and they are notorious for Separation Anxiety. Two out of my three had SP. I have attached an article about alone training. It really really works....but its a pain for you. I did it without fail for five days and it worked.....You have to be really disciplined...stick to it. And ...trust me...they know when you are standing outside the door listening.:D

My other dog needed medication for the alone training to work. It took a month.

I hope this link works. It talks about Greyhounds...but it works for all pooches.

Greyhound Care Manual.

[Scroll down to: IX. Leaving Your Greyhound Home Alone.

Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts