Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have an almost 7 yr old ex-breeder that I adopted about 3.5 months ago She is a 'big' toy. She is stuck to me like glue! Recently, she has started exhibiting some separation anxiety when I leave. She has loose stools, in her pen, and urinated in small puddles on the rug. I have talked with the vet, and together we have come up with the following. When I leave, I put her in her Iris pen with a frozen Kong, she wears an Adaptil collar, and I leave the TV on. I also have a Thundershirt for her. Works pretty well. Do you have any other suggestions? I love this dog, but she can be exhausting! I can't go to the bathroom without her!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't done that. Yet. I left her alone when I went to the doctor today. She had only her adaptil collar on. One tiny pee on the carpet when I got home a hour later. I am supposed to leave her at the vet for an urinary check soon.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It is different for all dogs, but I would suggest crating her when you are gone. She might need a smaller space to feel less anxious and more secure. You could put the Kong with something yummy inside her crate. I would not put something in her crate that she could chew up, like a blanket. She also might tip over a water container, so I would use one that attaches to the bars.

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
Sounds like your best first step then is to start making it a cozy, safe space, which means acclimating her to it when you're home. Get her used to you coming and going. Do laundry. Pop outside for 30 seconds. That sort of thing. No fuss. Just something to chew on while she relaxes and the human putters about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put her in her "Iris" pen last night with her frozen Kong. She was wearing her adaptil collar. I came home, let her out and she proceded to tear around the house for about 1/2-1 hour! She was panting by the time she finally wore herself out! I noticed today that her pen had been moved about 1 foot away from the wall? Was she jumping up against it? Oh well, I still have the thundershirt to try.

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
I think PtP is thinking along the same line as me. Be careful not to poison your calming tricks. You have an anxious dog that worries when you leave. When you are gone, she will have several hours to think about all the things you did just before you disappeared. You put a shirt on her. You put her in a crate. You grabbed your purse and car keys. Then...you left her alone. Woe sorrow oh noooooo! The next time you get the shirt, crate, or car keys she will think, "I've seen this movie before, I know what happens next...oh nooooooo!"

So, you want to get her used to the enclosure and all the other stuff you do when you leave without her ever thinking you are going to disappear. Putting her in is just this weird thing you do randomly for a few minutes. Sometimes you cook dinner. Sometimes you go pee. Sometimes you water the plants. Sometimes you get the mail. Just don't leave her sight long enough for her to go into a full blown anxiety attack. Work up to longer times gradually over several weeks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi! I have an almost 7 yr old ex-breeder that I adopted about 3.5 months ago She is a 'big' toy. She is stuck to me like glue! Recently, she has started exhibiting some separation anxiety when I leave. She has loose stools, in her pen, and urinated in small puddles on the rug. I have talked with the vet, and together we have come up with the following. When I leave, I put her in her Iris pen with a frozen Kong, she wears an Adaptil collar, and I leave the TV on. I also have a Thundershirt for her. Works pretty well. Do you have any other suggestions? I love this dog, but she can be exhausting! I can't go to the bathroom without her!
I didn't know anyone with a poodle could go to the bathroom alone.

I'm not dealing with separation anxiety but I have a girl who is always by my side.(velcro)
When she wants to go to sleep she nags me because she wants me to go to sleep too.
I found out by accident that she is really into aromatherapy, I had set up the diffuser in my
bedroom with peppermint one day and I noticed my poodle was missing.
She went to sleep by herself!
I know that lavender is used in a lot of calming collars, so maybe it will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts