Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know if this is normal behavior or not as Puca is only 9 weeks old. He will not let me out of his sight. If he can’t see me he cries bloody murder. Whether he has access to the entire living room or if he is restricted to his crate(he will chill in his crate on his own. Currently I have him tethered to it when I’m in the room with him so I can catch him if he needs to go potty). He just wants me to be nearby. He has multiple toys including Kong toys with treats inside.

He gets a lot of exercise as we do a 15-20 minute walk in the morning then 30mins of play in the back yard. Then I go to work at 8:30. I come back at 11:30 to let him out, feed him, and play for 1.5 hrs before I go back to work. Then I’m only at work for another 3hrs before I come back home. Then we go for another walk at dusk as it’s too hot to walk in the middle of the day in Tucson.

He’d rather sleep than play with the toys if he can’t have access to me. I don’t give him attention until he’s stopped crying for at least 20 secs.

Do I need to adjust what I’m doing or continue course as this phase will pass? I just want to make sure I’m not instilling any bad habits. It also gives me a bit of anxiety as I worry he’s disturbing my neighbors though none of them have complained so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My standard would be SO loud I would cover my ears and who boy almost would boil over in attempting to control my anger at his screaming. But I never interacted with him or let him out during his howling and after only a few short weeks he no longer howled and now he's perfectly behaved in his crate both at home and at dog shows and such.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Tough love is in order here. It is normal for puppies to want to be with their people and to resist the crate. Remember that in one short week's time, nearly 10% of his entire life he has been removed from his mom and sibs and his first and familiar place to a new place with new people. It is an overwhelming time for baby dogs. Add on top of that that we expect them to feed themselves, tell us when they have to potty, learn to sleep in a crate and get poked and prodded by a vet it is a wonder any of them turns out normal to my way of thinking. Don't give in on the crate training. When Javelin was in his first two weeks at home I left and took Lily to a show. He carried on like crazy in the crate and BF needing to get enough sleep to go to work took him out and put him on the bed. Three years later he is finally reasonably civilized in a wire crate (ugh which is so heavy to lug around).

Reactions: Puca pu and ericwd9

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear I am not ruining him! as for the blanket or crate pad im worried about him chewing it up and choking on a piece while im away or at night. Any recomendations on durable ones? I got him a bed and he was ripping it up at the seams

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
I’m wondering about his 45-60 minutes of exercise/ walk in the AM for a 9 week old puppy. I got Buck at 10 weeks and I didn’t do such a long block of time outside. We did short frequent trips outside, just noodled around, had praise parties for going outside. Obviously, not possible when you’re working. The weekends will be key. Matter of fact, low key departures and reunions are best. Keep door drama to the minimum.

My husband could not stand the crying, he is so soft-hearted. I turned my tile kitchen into a giant ex-pen and the crying stopped. I had a few accidents to clean up, frankly easier with tile than crate bedding, but the payoff was not a peep at night. I did get him used to the crate, but he’s too smart to think that’s safest, most comfortable place to be. That would be our bed, which he eventually earned.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Glad to hear I am not ruining him! as for the blanket or crate pad im worried about him chewing it up and choking on a piece while im away or at night. Any recomendations on durable ones? I got him a bed and he was ripping it up at the seams
Poppy had a dry crate if there was nothing in it like bedding, towel, etc. if anything like bedding was in there she would pee on it. Little stinker. She also liked cool floors, crate bottom to sleep on. With regard to everything else, he will settle eventually and not panic when you are out of sight. You are his only family now and he worries about you being gone. He will get over it. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
One like this, perhaps? But if he's a strong chewer, I get why you'd be hesitant to put anything in there!

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Ruff-Crate-Medium/dp/B07DKCSPD6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1534212531&sr=8-7&keywords=indestructible+crate+pad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m wondering about his 45-60 minutes of exercise/ walk in the AM for a 9 week old puppy. I got Buck at 10 weeks and I didn’t do such a long block of time outside. We did short frequent trips outside, just noodled around, had praise parties for going outside. Obviously, not possible when you’re working. The weekends will be key. Matter of fact, low key departures and reunions are best. Keep door drama to the minimum.

My husband could not stand the crying, he is so soft-hearted. I turned my tile kitchen into a giant ex-pen and the crying stopped. I had a few accidents to clean up, frankly easier with tile than crate bedding, but the payoff was not a peep at night. I did get him used to the crate, but he’s too smart to think that’s safest, most comfortable place to be. That would be our bed, which he eventually earned.

He has so much energy I try to tire him out so in the hopes he will relax more + get out pent-up energy before going back in the crate when I leave for work. Should I decrease the exercise time?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes to tough love, but I wanted to also add about the exercise.it seems excessive for such a young toy. Also they sleep a ton this age till around 14-ish weeks. At this stage, I,d rather go for a sniff and stroll, but since he is so young and not fully protected yet, I’d be iffy in letting him walk/down in high dog traffic area.at this age, I carried Milo everywhere outside, socialization is very important, more so than walks, I dare say for this age.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Our puppy would destroy any blanket or bed, but we found these really tough, washable, crate mattresses at our local pet store. It has been amazing!!! He scratches at that thing like crazy, trying to dig his little nest before bed each night, and it doesn't show any wear. Also, since it's pretty firm and tough, he hasn't really seemed to even try to chew on it, unlike the regular soft bed downstairs which he pulls apart with his teeth.
https://www.bowsers.com/mats-and-throws-1/luxury-crate-mattress.html

The only thing is they're looking pretty expensive on this site. Our pet store happened to have them on clearance for about $35, so maybe you'd be able to find a similar deal.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Peeves destroyed almost all of the bedding we gave him for his crate when young. I don't think it is a big deal to have a crate with no bedding in it. Javelin actually chooses to sleep on hard (cool) flooring more than any other place in the house.

Reactions: Puca pu

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I came home and my neighbor was yelling at Puca through the wall. Thus creating a cycle of Puca crying and the neighbor yelling. *Cue the extreme internal screaming*

I’m going to move Puca to the kitchen when I leave so that he’s not in a room that connects with that neighbor. Pretty sure the other ones go to work during the day (I live in the middle of a 4-plex). Not sure how long this has been going on or how far back it’s set us. But since he is only 9.5 weeks old I think we can still succeed in crate training!

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
Is there any way you could take your adorable Puca over to meet the vocal neighbor? Charm offensive - you are moving him and he’s just a baby trying to settle in to long puppy naps. My happy ending would be for your neighbor to fall in love and want to check on him, instead of screaming. More likely, the neighbor wil be embarrassed and hopefully will stop their side of the duet. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Their front yard is gated with a large dog running around so I can't really go up to the door but I hope to meet them at some point so he knows Puca is just a lil baby. Also he was crying so much cause he was thirsty so I'll start leaving ice cubes in his crate. I don't normally leave food and water as I'm normally not gone longer than 3 hrs and he eats\drinks\eliminates before I leave.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I would suggest always leaving water for your puppy. Dogs usually drink more when they feel anxious. Also, moving him to a space that isn't a shared wall space is a great idea. I live right in between two apartments, so that unfortunately is not an option for me....wish it would be though!

From the research I have done on separation anxiety, I have found conflicting information on exercise. From what I have read, a dog with true separation anxiety will still be anxious, even after an intense exercise session. Also, crating a dog with separation anxiety, even when they are a puppy, can backfire. Some dogs are more anxious when they are crated. Miracle, my rescue dog has run of the apartment for this reason. I do not believe what works for one dog works for all. I am still working through anxiety challenges with my dog, Jasper, who has more severe anxiety. I would suggest doing trial-and-error and see what you learn about what makes your puppy less anxious.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
So the neighbor who was yelling at your puppy has a dog that is allowed to prevent people from ringing the doorbell? Jeez...

Can you leave them a note to explain that he is a new puppy and that you are working on training him appropriately and that you would appreciate some patience right now? If they raised their dog from a puppy they should understand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the neighbor who was yelling at your puppy has a dog that is allowed to prevent people from ringing the doorbell? Jeez...

Can you leave them a note to explain that he is a new puppy and that you are working on training him appropriately and that you would appreciate some patience right now? If they raised their dog from a puppy they should understand.
I was thinking of doing that. I also asked my other neighbors and they said they've never heard any of the crying. I asked them to forward the message for me since I don't have any reliable way of contacting him.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Well it is good that the other neighbors haven't heard much if any crying. It means you don't really have separation anxiety building up as you had asked about earlier. It also is good that it means the neighbor who was yelling at Puca probably hadn't been doing it for long enough to have undone anything you are working on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts