Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enzo is vomiting from eating certain treats ....

I need to read the ingredients and see if I can figure out what is in all of them so I wont buy treats with whatever is causing it.

We gave him a pedigree denti stick last week or 2 weeks ago and he vomited. Before that I gave him some other treat ( forgot what tho) and he was vomiting. Has anyone else had this problem with their poodles ?

He is fine now no vomit for 2 weeks lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be wheat sensitive. I think most treats have wheat as a first or second ingredient.
O yeah that could be it ! we feed him evo with no grain in it. So this probably is it :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I would suggest switching to higher quality treats. Instead of denti sticks, which aren't very high quality, I would give him bully sticks. They are great at cleaning teeth and have no grains.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest switching to higher quality treats. Instead of denti sticks, which aren't very high quality, I would give him bully sticks. They are great at cleaning teeth and have no grains.
Yeah we where just trying it lol So we threw them out when we noticed the problem. I bought him some chicken breast treats. He loves them and never vomits with those since its pure meat. I will look into the bully sticks now. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Just make sure he doesn't bury a bully stick in a wet section of your yard... They re-hydrate!!!!! :jaw: I speak from experience!!! :lol: Hannah buried one in our yard one spring when the ground was all soft and wet... I'm not sure how long it was out there, but Juliet dug it up and was pleased as punch as she ran towards the house with her treasure... a fat, squishy, floppy re-hydrated bully stick (and you know what part of the bull bully sticks are made from, right???) :wacko: It was really, really gross but I still give bully sticks to my pack - they just can't take them outside anymore! :lol:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I give bully sticks BUT I have had both spoos throw them up and its a big ole mess. (so I limit the chewing time on these)

Also the denti sticks - yep mine have thrown them up too. I dont give them anymore, you are better off feeding a raw chicken leg once a week to help clean the teeth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you thought about making your own treats? There are dozens of sites on google for making treats and food - the nice thing is that you can really exchange any ingredients in the recipes if you feel there is any allergy to it. Here's one for treats using oat flour:

•1/4 cup honey
•1 cup peanut butter, low-fat variety (creamy or chunky)
•2 cups water
•1/3 cup peanut oil
•1 cup oats
•1 cup oat bran
•3 to 4 cups oat flour

In a large saucepan combine the honey, peanut butter, water, and peanut oil. Cook on medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer. Stir often.
Once it has begun to simmer, take it off the burner and add in the oats and oat bran. Mix in just enough oat flour to make the mixture form a ball.
Roll out ball on floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes (use cookie cutter or cut into treat sized rectangles. Place the treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake on each side for 30 minutes.

Haven't tried this particular one yet, but you get the idea. I enjoy cooking my own food for any animals I've ever owned - that way I always knew just what they were getting - our cats lived to 20 and 21 so I guess it didn't hurt!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Denta sticks are terrible treats. at 1pt they were recalled. I use dehydrated liver, natural balance roll arounds when I'm out. and at home I make my own they do need ref. just take beef or chicken liver sprinkle with garlic, bake [my preferance] or boil. If baking bake till dry. [no additives, preservatives, or other icky stuff] my dogs and cats love them. [ My kids used to munch on them when they laid tracks for our SAR dogs, LOL]

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphaba does
I give her a raw leg quarter every week and a half so its usually a Sunday and a Wednesday she gets hers and she DEVOURS that thing I dunno if I should be giving her it less or more since she doesn't eat raw food but she seems to be fine with it :D

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'm thinking for the teeth thing. Are there other raw bones that would be eaten for the teeth cleaning benefits?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Give Your Dog A Bone

I found that that Q&A
and its a bit helpful :]
I couldn't seem to find like which animal to get the bones from though in that interview he just kept saying knuckle bones, so a cow or pig maybe? XD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts