Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Loki is having another diarrhea spell... vet part 2 in 4 weeks!!
Overall they think it’s sensitive stomach and the vet said it’s common in SPoos and they grow out of it. We went home with 3 more medications and a more special diet food.

Has anyone experienced this? Do they grow out of it eventually? He’s super happy and still gaining weight! But still has an upset belly and I hate to think he won’t be able to enjoy treats, peanut butter, and other fun bones and snacks!!

C17A7CB1-0CFB-4128-A82C-5215CE7E8334.jpeg

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Beckie had a very sensitive stomach while young (she’s a toy). She still does so I’m careful as to what I give her. She’s better than when she was younger though (she’s almost 3).

She was on vet food and treats for sensitive stomach for about 12-18 months. That is all she ate and she was fine. Then she was able to transition to commercial food for sensitive stomach. Now I am going to switch her back to the original vet food because it’s easier to find during the pandemic and because I’m hoping it will help with her anal glands problem.

If you don’t feed anything other than his special food, your baby should be fine. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,372 Posts
Gracie (half mini poodle) had an extremely sensitive stomach, to the point of having bloody diarrhea at about 6 months, and I discovered dried liver was the biggest culprit. Vets, groomers, pet boutiques...they loved giving those treats! She was fine once I cut all access to overly rich foods.

I didn't use medications or special vet formulas. Just a high quality kibble and plain chicken. And then eventually she could have more variety, but I had to be careful her whole life. Runny poops always meant back to basics for a while.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Pogo had some really bad bouts of the runs from around 10 weeks to six months. They mostly cleared up as he matured; he had few issues until his early senior years. Last summer they returned with a vengeance. He improved when I switched him over to Purina ProPlan. I also found he had problems when he stole too much cat food. Oddly, he's fine after scarfing down a bag of stolen Milano cookies. I would have thought the chocolate would upset him, but apparently not.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Gracie (half mini poodle) had an extremely sensitive stomach, to the point of having bloody diarrhea at about 6 months, and I discovered dried liver was the biggest culprit. Vets, groomers, pet boutiques...they loved giving those treats! She was fine once I cut all access to overly rich foods.

I didn't use medications or special vet formulas. Just a high quality kibble and plain chicken. And then eventually she could have more variety, but I had to be careful her whole life. Runny poops always meant back to basics for a while.
Dried liver disagrees with Pogo too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Annie has a very sensitive stomach. We went through probably 5 brands of dog food. I ended up having to go with a chicken and fish free food. She ate Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy. Fish was easy to figure out ( I fed her fish based food as a treat twice and she threw it up) but chicken was harder to pinpoint - it seems to be much worse for chicken meal in dog food than raw or cooked chicken.

Now she only has stomach issues if she steals too much of the other dogs food :) and she eats plenty of treats- we use beef lung a lot.

I later learned that her mother also does poorly on chicken, so I think it may be hereditary.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You can probably go with single ingredient treats like dehydrated chicken. Those are easy on the stomach. But puppies in general just have a lot of diarrhea. They are eating so much and it's already straining their system just to process it all. Misha had his share of diarrhea and vomit. Didn't concern me.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I guess I have been lucky with the exception of 1 dog they seldom get diarrhea or vomit. That only happens when they are sick or ingested something they shouldn't. Renn has a strong stomach and can eat just about anything. He has had one bout in the last 6 months. I'm not sure if it was the sock he ingested or the wet food I added to his diet one time. (I used a different brand and I think it was just too rich for him). I now add the dehydrated instinct toppers to his food which gives him more incentive to eat. He is not a food crazy boy and eats slowly and chews. He is the first dog I've ever had the actually chews his food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts