Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Senior poodles do better with smaller, more frequent meals

2. Senior poodles go outside, and like it, but forget why they went outside. Then they do "it" when they come inside.

3. Senior poodles can't make it through the night without going outside.

4. Senior poodles want to please you but they are not always sure what you are asking.

5. Senior poodles sometimes do better when a crate is available.

6. Senior poodles need a lot of sleep.

7. Senior poodles go to the vet A LOT.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
1. Senior poodles do better with smaller, more frequent meals

2. Senior poodles go outside, and like it, but forget why they went outside. Then they do "it" when they come inside.

3. Senior poodles can't make it through the night without going outside.

4. Senior poodles want to please you but they are not always sure what you are asking.

5. Senior poodles sometimes do better when a crate is available.

6. Senior poodles need a lot of sleep.

7. Senior poodles go to the vet A LOT.
Yes, they do all that and they get lots and lots of extra hugs and kisses too!

Viking Queen

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
My boy Bob just had his 16th birthday, and I think he is the oldest standard poodle on PF. But I'm not sure he'd agree with your description of what it is like to get old. I guess everyone ages differently.

Bob has no problem making it through the night. He wakes me up at 6:30 or 7, not because he wants to go outside, but because he wants a treat. (The rule is outside first, treat second, and he grudgingly complies in order to get his treat.) He forgets nothing, especially not suppertime. He is not particularly interested in pleasing me (never has been), but is very interested in getting what he wants. So he reminds me when it is treat time, supper time, etc. Fortunately, I have him on a schedule, so he knows that his requests will be granted only in accord with our usual schedule. He is mostly deaf, eyesight is poor and his bad hips make walking very difficult. But he has absolutely no doggie dementia and forgets nothing. So in spite of the fact that he can hardly walk, he gets himself up, walks into the kitchen and starts barking when it is time for dinner (yes, he knows what time it is). So I, like an obedient slave, get up and prepare his dinner. His limitations (mobility, hearing and eyesight) make him more anxious than he used to be. He always wants to know where I am, and can no longer hear, see or follow as well as he used to. So he barks, and I get up and reassure him that I am here and everything is OK. Bob is quite a character, somehow even more so as he ages.

Sophie (RIP) was very different when she got old. She got quieter and quieter. She was entirely blind for the last year or two of her life. She had some problems off and on with incontinence, and I think that towards the end she may have been in more pain than I realized. I think she did have some doggie dementia, but maybe it was just depression. Sweet girl. I miss her.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Oh senior dogs

Flower is 15, mildly hypothyroid so she takes soloxine, she's incontinent mostly when she sleeps she takes a combo of Proin and Incurin, I have diapers on hand just in case, she has arthritis in her knees so she takes Dasuquin and Metacam. I have night lights in all the rooms to help her find her way at night. Flower's lens luxated
(dislocated) in her right eye in January, luckily she was in the small percentage that could be treated with meds and not immediate surgery scary at her age, though in May it looked like she might lose that eye but now she is past the worst part no meds now she was on three different meds three times a day.

Flower is pretty much deaf now, I pamper her no more stairs no going out when cold, wet or too hot.

Flower is very funny these days she likes her chews even though she hasn't had teeth in 9 years, she gums them. Flower plays with her buddies on a daily basis. Sure she goes to the vet more, she went last Friday and had a cyst drained, luckily that's all it was I generally take her in twice a year for a check up . When she was 14, I had her tested for everything ( we had trouble with incontinence and her sister died from a massive tumor on her kidney) from cancer to thyroid issues.

Flower is just old, I adore her. I treasure each day I include her in on most everything. Sure she's gotten a little picky at times about food so I cater to that, whatever she wants as long as she eats.
I no longer put off silly things, I bought her the silly flower bonnet and got the paw print kit, I take weekly pictures.

I do these things so I will have no regrets for the things I didn't do.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I feel we need to see a picture of flower in the silly bonnet!

Oh senior dogs

Flower is 15, mildly hypothyroid so she takes soloxine, she's incontinent mostly when she sleeps she takes a combo of Proin and Incurin, I have diapers on hand just in case, she has arthritis in her knees so she takes Dasuquin and Metacam. I have night lights in all the rooms to help her find her way at night. Flower's lens luxated
(dislocated) in her right eye in January, luckily she was in the small percentage that could be treated with meds and not immediate surgery scary at her age, though in May it looked like she might lose that eye but now she is past the worst part no meds now she was on three different meds three times a day.

Flower is pretty much deaf now, I pamper her no more stairs no going out when cold, wet or too hot.

Flower is very funny these days she likes her chews even though she hasn't had teeth in 9 years, she gums them. Flower plays with her buddies on a daily basis. Sure she goes to the vet more, she went last Friday and had a cyst drained, luckily that's all it was I generally take her in twice a year for a check up . When she was 14, I had her tested for everything ( we had trouble with incontinence and her sister died from a massive tumor on her kidney) from cancer to thyroid issues.

Flower is just old, I adore her. I treasure each day I include her in on most everything. Sure she's gotten a little picky at times about food so I cater to that, whatever she wants as long as she eats.
I no longer put off silly things, I bought her the silly flower bonnet and got the paw print kit, I take weekly pictures.

I do these things so I will have no regrets for the things I didn't do.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is now 10 AM and Bob still has not gotten up, probably because it is dark and rainy. He hasn't been outside in more than 12 hours. That boy can really hold his pees.

At 16 he is still keeping me laughing. Just thought I would share some of my recent photos of Bob. The first 2 are taken on his 16th birthday. I gave him a chocolate cupcake in honor of all of the chocolate he has stolen over the years. As he was eating it, a big box of bully taffy (dried esophagus) was delivered. I left it on the floor and went into the kitchen. Bob smelled the yummy contents of the box and made his way over to the box to try to help himself! The third photo is of Bob trying to get at the contents of a shopping bag that I left in my treat cabinet. The one of Bob and Cammie shows barriers that I set up next to the dog beds to prevent Bob from slipping under the table or the chair. The others are pretty self explanatory -- his ramp, his harness with a handle, and his cart at the Memorial Day parade. Such a funny boy -- he keeps me laughing. He is still really loving life!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Middle of the night peeing was one of Flower's bigger issues, there was a stretch where she was peeing in my bed because she slept so soundly that I had to wake her up so she could go use the pee pad, there was a stint in newborn diapers ( she has no tail and they kept her completely dry and free of urine on her coat and skin), the combination of joint meds, night lights and pee pee meds that has Flower dry through the night for the last 5 months.

That said she is a delight and a super easy dog in so many ways, easy to medicate at any rate. These days I think she feels pretty good, I'll take it for however long it is.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
It is now 10 AM and Bob still has not gotten up, probably because it is dark and rainy. He hasn't been outside in more than 12 hours. That boy can really hold his pees.

At 16 he is still keeping me laughing. Just thought I would share some of my recent photos of Bob. The first 2 are taken on his 16th birthday. I gave him a chocolate cupcake in honor of all of the chocolate he has stolen over the years. As he was eating it, a big box of bully taffy (dried esophagus) was delivered. I left it on the floor and went into the kitchen. Bob smelled the yummy contents of the box and made his way over to the box to try to help himself! The third photo is of Bob trying to get at the contents of a shopping bag that I left in my treat cabinet. The one of Bob and Cammie shows barriers that I set up next to the dog beds to prevent Bob from slipping under the table or the chair. The others are pretty self explanatory -- his ramp, his harness with a handle, and his cart at the Memorial Day parade. Such a funny boy -- he keeps me laughing. He is still really loving life!
Oh man, Bob seems like he is a funny boy, I do enjoy the old pups antics.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
At what age is considered a senior dog. Bella is 13 has 4 teeth, but she out plays with her toys the 3 and 6 year old. She won't run and chase them but will jump at then, as she starts coughing. She comes to me every morning to get her eyes medicated and a couple other times a day, she is a real sweet heard. She potties in the morning and before bed, that is it, and is the best eater I got. She weighs 6.5 pounds and vet said in great shape

1 - 12 of 12 Posts