Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still researching dog foods and have a question. Is it better or necessary for an older dog to be on a "senior" variety. It seems that a lot of the premium foods don't have senior varieties.

I'm looking for a new food for our 11 year old collie. She's not terribly active (daily walk and a few play sessions with Max...) What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Unless she has an issue I would stick with what she has been eating. A lot of senior foods have less protein as its hard on their livers/kidneys. But like I said unless there is an issue I would just stick with the food you have been feeding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long as your dog is healthy and not overweight, it is okay to continue feeding your dog their regular adult food. Senior food is basically formulated with less protein and calories than adult food.

You can also simply feed a little bit less of your adult food since an older dog won't be burning off as much energy.

If he starts developing other problems, constipation, weight gain or anything, then you'll need to rethink that plan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts