Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I have registered for the Bridget Carlsen seminar for competitive obedience. I did this for three reasons: 1) I want to compete with Cash in obedience this fall 2) There are no obedience classes for me to go to on a regular basis here where I live (all are an hour drive or more) and 3) I want to become the best trainer I can. So I am registered and have been pretty excited about it. I have been working with Cash he is doing pretty well. BUT I am scared to death that I am in over my head. Before I registered for it I asked if there were any pre-requisits for the class and I was told no, so I went ahead and registered. I have just found out that some of the people that are going I know from a long time ago, I even worked for one. But they have all titled dogs in obedience and know (at least I think they do) so much more than I do. Was I wrong to have entered this seminar? Should I be worried? I tell myself I shouldn't be, but keep second guessing myself!

Thanks for listening!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you were told there were no prerequisites... This is a little off topic, but related... When I was in high school, I played golf on the girls golf team for my school... I wasn't good!! :lol:

I was always a little intimidated to play with the top players at my school because I felt like I held them up (and I felt pretty incompetent next to them) My mother told me that when you play with people better than you are, you BECOME better because you're able to observe them, get advice from them, etc... I have to say, the older I get the smarter my mom gets!!

As long as you're there for the right reasons - to better YOURSELF and to learn everything you can to help your dog be the best he can be - then you're in the right place!! I say good luck, have fun and learn LOTS!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I say if there weren't any prerequisites then you should be okay.. a couple of years ago I was going to an agiliity camp and the novice 2 1/2 days was during the week and I couldn't get the days off..so I asked the organizer who slightly knew me and my dog and who I trained with if she thought I could go to the excellent/masters camp on the weekend..I was sure we would be at the bottom of the class but I was presently surprised with my dog's performance..so go for it you will probably surprise yourself

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm always second guessing myself and your positive comments help me to know I'm still on the right track!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts