Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, I would like to start grooming fly at home. I have never done it, but I've been watching a lot of videos and doing a lot of research. I am interested in buying some clippers to do the face/feet/tail and perhaps body. Any good pointers? How did all of you learn? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like Andis clippers, but it really depends on what fits your hand best. I went to TX All Breed Grooming School to learn, but many people are self taught.

Good luck. It's fun to try all the different things you can do with a poodle.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Lucy is just barely 6 months and she's only been to a professional groomer once in her life - and that was to put her into her continental clip pattern... Other than that (besides the couple of FFT grooms & baths her breeder gave her before she came to live with me) I have been keeping her FFT clipped and bathing/drying/brushing/combing her puppy coat by myself... Now that Lucy's in her pattern, I'm planning to keep her as up-to-date as possible.

I've never groomed a dog before, but I learned by doing what you're doing; videos, books, and simply DOING... I started slowly - only did what we were both comfortable with at the time and took breaks as necessary. I find it to be fun, therapeutic and helps keep my pup looking her best!

Good luck, have fun!!!! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! Practice makes perfect I suppose. Just going to dive in and try my hand at it. What's the worst that could happen? Other then clipper burn, which I'm a little nervous about. Other then that a ridiculous haircut always grows back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts