Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am talking to a breeder for a standard puppy and we were talking about health issues. I asked about seizures in the puppies relatives since my last poodle had seizures that were very difficult to control. She said that there were seizures 5 generations back on the father's side. Is this something that would be a concern since it was 5 generations back? She said that there hasn't been anything reported to her from other puppy owners since then. She also mentioned that every breeder has had an incident with seizures or bloat, etc. whether they say so or not. I don't know anything about breeding but would like to eliminate as many health problems as possible. My first thought was why to continue to breed with seizures but maybe seizures are not hereditary. Anyway, I really appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I personally would appreciate her honesty. One dog 5 generations back wouldn't worry me too much. It's entirely possible that his seizures developed after he was bred. (One more good reason not breed early, IMO.) If you have other reservations move on though. But then was he really the only one? Maybe you could talk to some other people who might know for sure. Have you checked PHR?

I'm far from being an expert but I do think that no line is completely free of health issues. A lot of issues are swept under the rug or just never reported to the breeder. I think I'd want to know a little more about it. Are we talking about full blown epilepsy or just one or two mild random seizures? Did it really affect that dog's quality of life? Was it controlled by medication, etc?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
If there is only one dog five generations back, I would not worry about it at all. Epilepsy is tricky too. It is not always inherited. A puppy can get a knock on the head which can cause seizures after. Lots of things can cause them, genetics likely playing a role in some.

I would thoroughly check the vertical pedigree on PHR. That will tell you a lot. Nothing HAS to be reported there, so it was very good of her to be so upfront with you. Otherwise you might never have known. But one dog so far back would be a non issue for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same thing about her being honest and upfront when I asked since I would never have known any different. And I'm probably being too worried about it. I would never had thought to ask if it hadn't been for the experience with our last pet. She said the dog was on medication for the seizures when I asked and again, she didn't have to share that. I'm not sure how to read the pedigree and she said the testing had been done. And this shows how little I know but what is PHR? I've got to read and learn more!

This is the father
Targa Ch. Martaux Targa Bastille

The Delta Standard Poodles Newborn Puppies

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
And this shows how little I know but what is PHR? I've got to read and learn more!
PHR is Poodle Health Registry
Poodle Health Registry

You can look up dogs on there and look at the health history behind them. It is an optional registry though, so just because a line looks completely free of health problems doesn't mean it is. It probably just means health problems haven't been documented.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I went and looked on PHR, and the pedigree could confuse you because a lot of the ancestors are European, so the hips ratings are entirely different than in North America. Apparently the fathers name is actually Grandeur Boogie Back to Targa. I saw some Sebacceous addenitis, Addisons, hips ranging from excellent to some problems. Not anything most Spoos don't have behind them, just maybe a bit more of it. I didn't look deep enough to see if there was mention of epilepsy. You should give it a whirl, and if you have questions ask on here and anyone who uses it can help you understand how to read it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well not everyone has had seizures in their line. I haven't.

Frankly that breeding pedigree does have one of the dogs most associated with seizures in Standards.....Ch Trelarken Turn Back Time. It also includes that dog's littermate CH Whisperwind's Brass Band. People who line bred on these dogs did end up with seizures.

If you like the puppies I'm not sure that the pedigree would be a deal breaker for me since there are many other dogs thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I realize that not all seizures are genetic disorders; however, there is a test NEwS that can tell you if the dog is a carrier or clear. I would ask the breeder if her dogs have been tested for this.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I realize that not all seizures are genetic disorders; however, there is a test NEwS that can tell you if the dog is a carrier or clear. I would ask the breeder if her dogs have been tested for this.
No, the NEws test is for breeding dogs to see if they carry the gene for Neonatal Encephalopathy w/seizures. Affected dogs almost always die by age 7 weeks of age. There is no test for adult onset Epilepsy.

Here is a link about News:
SpringerLink - Journal Article

1 - 10 of 10 Posts