Poodle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Success success success! All of you who took the time to answer me - big hug and thank you so much for your recommendations. I bought the dryer (thank you Viking Queen) it cuts my drying time into a third (if that!!) How did I ever live without it! And I took the plunge and bought a corded Andis - WOW what a difference. So impressions. I love both Bravuras for light shaping and doing feet and face! I love that I learned my moves on the Bravura - the cordless part and weight are awesome when you don't know what you are doing. The Andis is a whole different league of finish. I realize now that even though your Poodle is small they can still have a heavy coat! The texture I got yesterday just about blew me away. I agree with everyone who said the magic is in the drying even more than the clipping. One very happy Poodle home groomer here. I feel like the dryer and new clipper were my graduation present to myself for 1 year of brave home grooming and learning. Louie on the hand did not care for either of the new tools. Remember he is the guy who is so chill about grooming he falls asleep - but yesterday he was majorly worried about both appliances. I acknowledged his fears but I didn't give in and used it as an exercise to withstand a little discomfort. Obviously neither of the two things hurt him he was just expressing discomfort about new sounds, smells etc and I figured he could deal with it. The training we have been doing for a year now paid off. He made it through with minor protest and he looks awesome!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mono, thanks for sharing your journey. Just today i ordered the Shelandy dryer. I’m currently using an old Wahl clipper that may or may not be for pets. Who can remember after so many years. I’m seriously considering an Andis clipper. There are so many kinds, but I like the idea of having the blades I want to get the look I want. Which style of Andis did you get?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mono, thanks for sharing your journey. Just today i ordered the Shelandy dryer. I’m currently using an old Wahl clipper that may or may not be for pets. Who can remember after so many years. I’m seriously considering an Andis clipper. There are so many kinds, but I like the idea of having the blades I want to get the look I want. Which style of Andis did you get?
I went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018KVHBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Andis ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper, Professional Animal Grooming, AGC2, Black

I LOVE it! I don't know who said it is like the Andis is a clipper and the cordless ones are merely trimmers. That is exactly how it works. The body is done with the Andis - after the miraculous blow-dry with the Shelandy (I am still using it without the attachments so it is a little less frightening for Louie) It takes a tenth of the time than a blow dryer. I can't wait to take this outside to the patio (where it should be less loud) it just has been too cold in NY. I still like the Bravura for the feet and face (I have both sizes) and get ready the Andis is really heavy comparatively.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well I'm looking forward to some good results for a change. It's past time I conquered home grooming! Having a good dryer and clippers that can get through the coat is a good place to start. I've been scissoring most things, and it takes way too long. Thanks for the clipper tip, Moni.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I'm looking forward to some good results for a change. It's past time I conquered home grooming! Having a good dryer and clippers that can get through the coat is a good place to start. I've been scissoring most things, and it takes way too long. Thanks for the clipper tip, Moni.
Forgot to mention you will need an additional blade with the andis clipper (for the right length of coat on the body) since the one it comes with is a 40 I think. I bought the 5FC for an additional $25 at Amazon - SOOO worth it!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CNTM8O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21 - 25 of 25 Posts