Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having lost our 9-year-old Ziggy to hemangiosarcoma earlier this year, we had been searching for another smallish red standard. Our two previous spoos were both about 20-21". Ziggy was never more than 40 lbs, and we would prefer the new member of our family to be in this size range (perhaps up to 23"), but seem to have found that many (most?) breeders of standards breed for size (i.e. larger, as not less than 25")

After much searching, we came across Palmares (aka Sheroc) Standard Poodles, who currently has red puppies likely to be that size. And we have placed a deposit on one. That said, however, in reviewing the health testing on her website (and admittedly very inexperienced at understanding it all) and pedigrees, I am concerned about what seems to be incompleteness of the lineage's testing.

As much as we want a small red, health and temperament are our first considerations. I am not looking to raise concerns about this breeder, who has been forthcoming will everything I've asked, but I am still hoping to find people who might provide any insight — pro or con — into her breeding practices and reputation. (Private message me if you do not wish to speak publicly). Thanks so much.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hi, and welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss :( I don't know about the health testing at Palmares, but the breeder who has taken over the program is extremely devoted to the breed, so I assume that she does full health testing, but of course you need to confirm that. She is also a very nice person. My Maizie has a touch of Palmares in her pedigree :)

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Good spoo breeders who are actively showing in conformation don't tend to produce giant dogs since judges don't usually put up giant dogs. I am not familiar with the breeder you are looking at, but suggest calling and speaking with her. Some breeders are not great web masters and there may be more records than you think there are.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
try a search of poodle forum, both for the kennel name and the breeder's name. i'm pretty sure i've seen comments made in past years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts