Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<I>Can anyone recommend a breeder - anywhere - of miniature or standard poodles who really excels in producing dogs with less anxiety/guard-dog instincts?</I>

Hi poodle folks,

It's been quite a few years since I've been on this forum. I'm back now in an attempt to search out a good breeder of mini or standard poodles who are really known for *laid-back* temperaments in their dogs.

My last spoo, Lilith, was the most awesome dog ever and my best friend. She came from S.Africa and lived with us in Mozambique. Her natural temperament was to be guarded around strangers, a bit nervous when things were busy or loud or unpredictable, and to be the house guard as her self-chosen job. Unfortunately, as she got older, these personality traits became more pronounced. And even more unfortunately, our household is a busy one, with new people in and out a lot and a good number of social events during the year. I had twins, and we went through a particularly rough patch. Lilith came to be quite anxious most of the time, despite us turning the situation around and trying our best to give her plenty of fun stimulation (usually 6-12k jogs or some agility fun in a park) and to keep her out of the commotion when it was around. It felt like we were always working uphill, to work with her and help her be her best self in an environment she didn't choose and didn't particularly fit well with. Even once we got the new twins + dog thing under control, she seemed to feel she needed to guard us against every unknown that came to our house - and there were too many unknowns (for her). When we moved with her back to USA, we temporarily rehomed her with a good friend of mine who is disabled and never leaves his house for him to work with her and get her more acclimated to a new climate/environment/etc. Well, he and his sister (who lives with him) fell madly in love with Lilith. And Lilith fell madly in love with him and his sister. Lilith lives there to this day. We miss her, but she is so much happier with her constant routines and lack of strange people popping into her house.

So fast forward to today - I now have 3 kids and when the youngest hits about 4yrs (she's currently 2.5), I'd like to add a dog back to our family. I've been on some other forums online looking for a good breed to fit us better. Lilith did ok, but it was a ton of work and it wasn't really fair to her. We now live in Uganda (we move every 4-6 years or so for my work), and our house is still busy with lots of social events and people. I was looking up golden doodles, miniature american shepherds, portuguese water dogs, etc. (I need shedding to be on the lower side of average, or at least no more than 'average' - it's not fun to have my guests leave our house covered in my dog's fur). Folks keep directing me back to the poodle breed, advising me that it's about the breeding and it should be possible to find a poodle that is easy going and adaptable. It sounds right to me - when I got Lilith obviously I thought the breed was a good fit for our lifestyle.

What are your thoughts? Can anyone recommend a breeder - anywhere (since it won't be in Uganda, doesn't really matter where we go for the dog) - of miniature or standard poodles who really excels in producing dogs with less anxiety/guard-dog instincts? I've got lots of time - at least 1.5yrs - before wanting the dog, but I'm expecting long waiting lists for a good breeder.

TIA. (also, I'm not against adopting a young rescue poodle and would in fact prefer it - but have never found a rescue willing to adopt out to me since I live overseas... if you know of a good rescue that doesn't have a home-visit or geographic rule, I'd be keen on getting that info)

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
i'm just offering an opinion as someone who has never owned a poodle and if i own one in the future will want a toy. given your circumstances, i would try a pm to some of the breeders of standards who are members, like arreau and nola. i would trust them on the issue of temperament because they love their dogs too much to place them in the wrong situation for the dog and the owner. arreau is in canada and nola in louisiana. both also do health testing, so temperament is not the only issue on which i think you can trust them. pms per pf rules are to be kept private and i think you can speak freely to these ladies about any concern. btw, if you do a search for their posts at pf, you can see some pics of their dogs. visuals won't tell you much about temperament, but they will tell you about the love that went into the breeding. good luck.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
156 Posts
<I>Can anyone recommend a breeder - anywhere - of miniature or standard poodles who really excels in producing dogs with less anxiety/guard-dog instincts?</I>

Hi poodle folks,

It's been quite a few years since I've been on this forum. I'm back now in an attempt to search out a good breeder of mini or standard poodles who are really known for *laid-back* temperaments in their dogs.

My last spoo, Lilith, was the most awesome dog ever and my best friend. She came from S.Africa and lived with us in Mozambique. Her natural temperament was to be guarded around strangers, a bit nervous when things were busy or loud or unpredictable, and to be the house guard as her self-chosen job. Unfortunately, as she got older, these personality traits became more pronounced. And even more unfortunately, our household is a busy one, with new people in and out a lot and a good number of social events during the year. I had twins, and we went through a particularly rough patch. Lilith came to be quite anxious most of the time, despite us turning the situation around and trying our best to give her plenty of fun stimulation (usually 6-12k jogs or some agility fun in a park) and to keep her out of the commotion when it was around. It felt like we were always working uphill, to work with her and help her be her best self in an environment she didn't choose and didn't particularly fit well with. Even once we got the new twins + dog thing under control, she seemed to feel she needed to guard us against every unknown that came to our house - and there were too many unknowns (for her). When we moved with her back to USA, we temporarily rehomed her with a good friend of mine who is disabled and never leaves his house for him to work with her and get her more acclimated to a new climate/environment/etc. Well, he and his sister (who lives with him) fell madly in love with Lilith. And Lilith fell madly in love with him and his sister. Lilith lives there to this day. We miss her, but she is so much happier with her constant routines and lack of strange people popping into her house.

So fast forward to today - I now have 3 kids and when the youngest hits about 4yrs (she's currently 2.5), I'd like to add a dog back to our family. I've been on some other forums online looking for a good breed to fit us better. Lilith did ok, but it was a ton of work and it wasn't really fair to her. We now live in Uganda (we move every 4-6 years or so for my work), and our house is still busy with lots of social events and people. I was looking up golden doodles, miniature american shepherds, portuguese water dogs, etc. (I need shedding to be on the lower side of average, or at least no more than 'average' - it's not fun to have my guests leave our house covered in my dog's fur). Folks keep directing me back to the poodle breed, advising me that it's about the breeding and it should be possible to find a poodle that is easy going and adaptable. It sounds right to me - when I got Lilith obviously I thought the breed was a good fit for our lifestyle.

What are your thoughts? Can anyone recommend a breeder - anywhere (since it won't be in Uganda, doesn't really matter where we go for the dog) - of miniature or standard poodles who really excels in producing dogs with less anxiety/guard-dog instincts? I've got lots of time - at least 1.5yrs - before wanting the dog, but I'm expecting long waiting lists for a good breeder.

TIA. (also, I'm not against adopting a young rescue poodle and would in fact prefer it - but have never found a rescue willing to adopt out to me since I live overseas... if you know of a good rescue that doesn't have a home-visit or geographic rule, I'd be keen on getting that info)
When I got our spoo the breeder said let me pick out your puppy. Our daughter had been bit by one of our dogs. We got the best spoo ever. The breeder should know each of the puppies temperament and who's household it would do well in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.