Poodle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Poodle puppies are such a lot of work that I agree with you that now is the perfect time because you won't be overwhelmed.
I do not know if he ships, but he is a dream breeder, (meets all the excellent advice you have been given here,) and his dogs are stunning in the UKC ring.
His silver tux litter is a bit older (Dec), calm, and well socialized.
If I had the energy, I'd be getting his last boy. I have been watching him since birth but just can't face puppydom now that Noodle is perfect.
Best of luck!

parents:
View attachment 465506
Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You are so lucky to be getting expert puppy advice before you made the purchase! Too many people just jump in and buy that cute adorable puppy, and then find all of this out later, much to their dismay.
Yes, i feel so lucky to have found this site while i was researching how to buy a pup. I can't say how grateful I am for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There may even be more puppies available once we pass the peak of infection. It’s sad to say, but some people who are on lists may no longer be able to purchase a puppy.

The right pup will be available when it’s the best time for you to bring a new dog into your family.

From downstate Illinois, hang in there!
Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you!
I don't know of this breeder nor have I even gone to the site but due to circumstances right now I would probably hold off on getting a puppy. You will need food, vet visits, grooming, socialization visits, training classes.. All of that can be a bit over whelming to begin with and more so with the state we are in at the moment.
Yes, you thoughts do make a lot of sense. It's not just about my schedule!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am a wannabe first time poodle owner and have been looking for a poodle and getting educated about breeders for a few months now - thanks to many of you - websites and speaking with breeders. I live near Chicago, and tomorrow night we will be starting a stay-at-home order, which prevents any non-essential travel. So my son came home, I've had to cancel trips and it looks like now would be an great time to get a pup since we can't do anything but go for walks, build a good fence and stay at home. I had hoped to sign up for an Arreau pup, but now with the Canadian border closed, we can't travel for who knows how long. So for the last few days I've started looking closer to home.
I was on the Northern IL Poodle FB page, and a woman posted that she has some pups. I went to her website, Red Door Poodles, it looks like the dogs are lovingly raised at home and have attended obedience classes-- basically what i would do, or the least that i would do.. The owner told me they tested with paw print genetics for a full poodle panel, which she says the parents cleared. and she says she has the parents pedigrees which show that they aren't related back 5 generations. but none of that info or details are on the website. Of the two pups available, the darker red poodle costs more than the lighter red one, when i asked about personalities she says that the darker one is more laid back, friendly but not the first to do something and the lighter one is shy at first, but feisty and loves to play with tennis balls and ropes and also loves attention.
ahh, it's not the puppy culture i had in mind after I started learning about poodle breeding, but now with the economy coming to a recession, and the travel ban ahead... I'm doubting myself. Oh, and the breeder says that one of her dogs just happens to be being delivered tomorrow to another family just 45 min away, so I could get it tomorrow...

Poodle people what do you think? am i being overly cautious? This is so temping bc I want pup, but.. thank you!
standardpoodlesaregreat.com has an approved breeder list by state.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
standardpoodlesaregreat.com has an approved breeder list by state.
Hi Venetian,
Thank you for the link, but it doesn't work. I did find a facebook group that I requested to join. Is that the same place you are referring to? Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just would not purchase a puppy right now. Here in Colorado, we have no idea how long we will be under a stay at home order.

I also saw this on the AKC website:

Two dogs in Hong Kong whose owners tested positive for COVID-19 have tested positive for the virus in what health officials characterize as “likely to be a case of human-to-animal transmission.” Local government health officials emphasize that “there is currently no evidence that pet animals can be a source of infection of COVID-19 or that they become sick.”

I have been told by our local vet that she believes the coronavirus could live in the sinus cavity of a dog for a period of time so I would stay away from other dogs at this time. She is trying to obtain testing medium so she can see how long it lives in the dog sinus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Who would I want to buy my poodle from?

Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

[/QUOTE]

This is a great list. I hope you will consider adding under "living conditions" that the breeder is doing something with the dogs other than having litters of puppies. Do they show their dogs (successfully) in conformation? Do they participate in agility or obedience events? Are there certified therapy dogs in their kennels?

The dogs used for breeding should be something other than puppy producers. A breeder who "loves the breed" loves especially what their dogs can be trained to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm still working on this as a guide for folks starting a search but I'll drop it in here, hoping it'll be useful as it is

Who would I want to buy my poodle from?

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed. They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better. They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own. They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract. They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines and breed to better them. They will know of the latest studies in health standards of their chosen breed and variety.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them. They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Breeding Program
! to maintain, improve, strengthen the breed
by breeding to standard, and for health and genetic diversity,
and will prove their dogs meet these standards by showing or competing
or by breeding from titled parents or recent generations. It's not the title, but what it shows
! focus is on quality, never quantity

Breeding Parents
! registry information available
! not too old or young for breeding
! not overbred
! genetic health testing done appropriate to breed and variety
! other health testing such as eyes, hips
! results of testing on own website, OFA site or testing lab
see Health Related Publications - Versatility In Poodles, Inc.

Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

Puppies
! routine and urgent vet care, immunizations, dewormings
! socialization
! first groomings
! registry papers
! they will not require spay/neuter before physical maturity for breed and variety
! health "guarantee" generally favors the breeder, not the buyer.
health guarantee is no replacement for health testing of dam and sire.
beginning housetraining is a bonus
temperament testing is helpful

Advertising
! individual website to detail history of breeder, goals for their program
! information on dams, sires, puppies
! no trend pricing for color, gender or size,
! no marketing gimmick terms like "teacup" "royal"

! Anything not found on the website should be provided by breeder before buying

If a breeder wants me to believe that they believe in their dogs, they won't stop the investment when it comes time to find the new families. If they want to cut costs by using free advertising sites like craigslist or listing on retail marketplaces like puppyspot or puppyfind, or other classified ad sites such as newspapers, I wonder what else they've cut costs on.
This is a great list. Consider adding that poodle breeders who "love the breed" are doing something with their dogs other than producing puppies. Conformation shows? Agility, obedience, rally?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just would not purchase a puppy right now. Here in Colorado, we have no idea how long we will be under a stay at home order.

I also saw this on the AKC website:

Two dogs in Hong Kong whose owners tested positive for COVID-19 have tested positive for the virus in what health officials characterize as “likely to be a case of human-to-animal transmission.” Local government health officials emphasize that “there is currently no evidence that pet animals can be a source of infection of COVID-19 or that they become sick.”

I have been told by our local vet that she believes the coronavirus could live in the sinus cavity of a dog for a period of time so I would stay away from other dogs at this time. She is trying to obtain testing medium so she can see how long it lives in the dog sinus.
Ugh. Thanks for the notice! Hopefully no dogs get sick or can pass the virus.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts