Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just lost my black standard poodle to cancer. My husband and I are interested in a brown or red standard poodle female puppy or young dog. We have no interest in showing the dog, only in health and temperment.
We are willing to ship a puppy from anywhere in Canada, but it would be nice to get one in western Canada.
Ideally we'd like a puppy this fall or winter.
Can anyone suggest a good breeder? We have looked at so many websites and don't know who to trust.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am not too familiar with good breeders in Canada that do Red or Brown....

But I would be careful about any breeder who breeds their bitch too many times.. or doesn't do anything to prove their breeding stock.

Ask Questions to any breeder you find! as much as you would like, if they are weird about anything.. look elsewhere!

I would also advise you to wait for the right breeder, try not to rush in and find someone too fast and end up making a mistake :)

Good luck, and keep us updated on anything you find :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a couple of suggestions to follow up: Lumiere and Arreau.
Also, I saw a poodle that had a pretty multi-colour coat in Vancouver. The owner said it was a "Parti-poodle" and was from a BC breeder. That is another colour that I am interested in. Are there any good breeders of such dogs in Canada, preferably western Canada?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions to follow up: Lumiere and Arreau.
Also, I saw a poodle that had a pretty multi-colour coat in Vancouver. The owner said it was a "Parti-poodle" and was from a BC breeder. That is another colour that I am interested in. Are there any good breeders of such dogs in Canada, preferably western Canada?
It's tough to find a quality Parti breeder, because that marking is not accepted within the CKC or AKC. Quality breeders are out there, but few and far between. You will most likely want to see UKC championships or preferably grand championships on breeding stock and be sure that all health testing is completed. You might want to look here: Multi-Colored Poodle Club Of America. A Poodle Club devoted to ALL colors

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You could try contacting Carol Graham. She used to be a dog show judge and now breeds black Standards. She would have nice dogs with health testing and although she doesn't have the colour you want, I am sure she would be able to recommend someone.

She lives in Balzac, so not too far from Calgary.

Crystalton Standard Poodles and Pomeranians

It would be a good place to start.

Incidentally, I had seen the Lumiere site before. I notice she bred her bitch to two different males and is going to do DNA testing when the puppies are born. Is this common?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Since Brown is a recessive color, it can sometimes be more difficult to find. Here is a list of Brown breeders and breeders who have Black stud dogs who carry the Brown gene. It is worth it to contact a many breeders as possible to see what is out there.

Tees Poodles Vernon, BC Has a Brown stud dog Tees Standard Poodle - Canada's Poodle Site
Reigate Poodles Vancouver Island Reigate Home
Autumn Hill Poodles Wisconsin Autumn Hills - Specializing in Brown and Black Standard Poodles
Beauciel Poodles Our Boys
Oakwind Poodles (have stud dog)
Woodsys-Page

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
pm sent not sure if this breeder is in your area !

·
Registered
105 Posts
using two studs and DNA testing

"Incidentally, I had seen the Lumiere site before. I notice she bred her bitch to two different males and is going to do DNA testing when the puppies are born. Is this common?"

I wouldn't say it's common but I have seen it done in my other breed. In this case it was the last time they were going to breed a bitch (her second litter) and had two males they really liked. They decided to use both dogs and then DNA so they could compare puppy development, etc. It worked out well for all involved and there weren't any issues.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
When it is done well, dual sire is often about trying to get the most out of a breeding. If you don't breed that much and want to see what a bitch can produce when bred to separate lines, then it is a good tool. It is expensive though because you have to DNA test every puppy.

When it is done poorly it is often a case of, "Well gosh... Fluffy got accidentally bred by both of our studs and we don't know who the daddy is!" Grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I breed health tested Standard Parti Poodles in British Columbia......brown and whites and black and whites. Website is: carolaineacresstandardpartipoodles.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts