Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SA testing in poodles does not really seem to hold a lot of merit. You can do the punch test one day and have the results come back clear, and then a week or so later the dog can become affected by SA.
There is new research being done at UCDavis, maybe they will be able to find a genetic marker. The fact that the poodle comes back with a clear test does not mean that they may or may not be a carrier genetically, maybe this research can help.

The Poodle Club of America Foundation has provided funding to support a research project under the direction of principal investigator Niels C. Pedersen, "Determining whether risk for sebaceous adenitis of Standard Poodles is associated with a specific DLA class II genotype."

They need DNA-specimens from 25 dogs that have been diagnosed with SA and also samples from unaffected dogs.

I have sent in samples from both my standards, they are both unaffected. They are not getting many samples at all, which is really sad considering a study in the UK got over 300 samples.

If you know of anyone whom has a standard affected with SA, please encourage them to get a blood sample taken (my vet charged $ 8.00) and send it in. It would be even better if they were able to get a sample from a close relative of the affected.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing this information!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Kiara has not been tested yet, I was told 3 yrs was the age to start the punches. Her breeder put an 8 yr health guar, in the contract against SA since she has never had any problems. I asked my vet at VCA about the punches and sadly he did not know what I was talking about....Kiara will be 3ys Aug 2011.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It is just fantastic that new research is done !!!!

Snor - can you post this also in general "poodle talk" ??? :) Maybe more members will see it that way :)

Thanks for the info !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts