Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SA testing in poodles does not really seem to hold a lot of merit. You can do the punch test one day and have the results come back clear, and then a week or so later the dog can become affected by SA.
There is new research being done at UCDavis, maybe they will be able to find a genetic marker. The fact that the poodle comes back with a clear test does not mean that they may or may not be a carrier genetically, maybe this research can help.

The Poodle Club of America Foundation has provided funding to support a research project under the direction of principal investigator Niels C. Pedersen, "Determining whether risk for sebaceous adenitis of Standard Poodles is associated with a specific DLA class II genotype."

They need DNA-specimens from 25 dogs that have been diagnosed with SA and also samples from unaffected dogs.

I have sent in samples from both my standards, they are both unaffected. They are not getting many samples at all, which is really sad considering a study in the UK got over 300 samples.

If you know of anyone whom has a standard affected with SA, please encourage them to get a blood sample taken (my vet charged $ 8.00) and send it in. It would be even better if they were able to get a sample from a close relative of the affected.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks SnorPoodle for posting this !!!

Hopefully many people would jump at this unique opportunity and send samples out for the research of this terrible skin condition : ((.

If I had a dog, I would definitely do it :) $8 is really a small "price to pay" if it will benefit so many dogs. I am guessing that the results would be applicable to other numerous breeds who are also plagued with SA .

I saw photos of affected dogs and read heart-braking stories : (((. It is not just a cosmetic thing : (((, dogs really suffer :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts