Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for toy / miniature poodle breeders in Michigan. I lost my 15.5 year poodle last July, and we are ready for a new one. I am having a hard time finding breeders near me (SE Michigan, willing to travel a few hours). Not sure if my difficulty is because toy poodles are "out," or maybe it is a result of litters being so small.

To complicate matters, I am interested in a poodle around 8#, solid colors (no phantoms or partis). I am concerned about having too small a toy, as my prior poodle became diabetic, and dropped about 20% of her body weight. I saw first hand how rapid the weight loss can be and how it can affect the ability to successfully maintain an adequate BG level. While I successfully managed her diabetes for over 4 years, I was always concerned about her weight and how quickly things could go downhill. The few breeders I have found are breeding with 5 pound parents, so maybe I should be looking at minis instead of toys?

Like I mentioned, I last purchased a poodle nearly 16 years ago, so I am likely not up to date on the latest in the poodle landscape. I am appreciative of any advice or suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Good reputable show breeders typically breed larger toys. Smaller minis are more likely to be in the 10-12 lb range, but you might find that you are very happy with this size. My 15 lb mini is still a small dog but I love that he is sturdy enough to do all the big dog things. The only reputable breeder in MI that immediately comes to mind is Logos and they breed miniatures. But I think they are a very good breeder.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Welcome! I don't know any breeders in your area, but I would suggest finding a breeder you do like, regardless of where they are in the country, and asking them for a referral for a breeder in your area. I find that good breeders have good networks and are generally happy to help.

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
Yes toys are small, the breeder I got my boy Leonard has pups that that range between 4 and 8 pounds. I have always gotten older puppies that are over 16 weeks and 4 pounds when I bring them home. Leonard was 4 pounds at 18 1/2 weeks and at 2 1/2 yrs old is 6 1/4 pounds by far my tiniest toy but by far the healthiest. I love toy size but it can be fraught with trouble.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Both my toys have solid build at around 6 pounds. That’s an average weight for a well bred poodle. I hope you find what you are looking for !

·
Registered
99 Posts
My small mini, Ana, is 12 inches at the shoulder and about 9-10 lbs. She has more bone than a toy but is the perfect arm or lap dog size. I've always been afraid I would break a toy. A small mini is a great compromise. Unfortunately, I don't know any breeders in your area. You might check the Poodle Club of America website for breeder referrals. All breeders you find there will have done their health testing and agreed to a code of ethics. No chance they would be puppy mill or backyard breeders.

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
I agree with Liz, in fact I would PM Poodlemana and ask where she got her two gorgeous mini’s. All the good breeders know each other or of each other. Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am getting a mini poodle from Logos in Rochester Hills. I don't know if she has enough puppies for her list, but you could try. I had considered toys, but as you, I found it difficult to find a reputable breeder with a litter. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
What luck, Michigan Gal! What lovely dogs she has. Congratulations on your future puppy. Give Logos a call. People drop off lists or postpone litter picks all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lola was a gift from Daniel Chavez (Danfour) in Phoenix area after my previous girl, Tori, was killed by a rattlesnake. Ana was a gift from Beverly Jean Nelson (Heatherly) in Seattle area who is a good friend and knew I had been looking for a small brown girl for years. Both are really far away from Michigan...lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts