Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - we have been looking for a poodle for our family for a past few months and not had luck. My son has mild allergies and my daughter is 2 so size is important to us. We however landed with putting a deposit down on a standard but I got cold feet a few weeks before we were to get him because I got nervous about a big dog. I then started to research minis and Moyen's and realized that's a whole different world. In short at the moment, I am looking for a large Mini or Moyen (that is bred with standards and no cross bred with mini) or a really small standard under 45 lbs. We are in the NY area but will travel for the right pup. Looking for advice on how to narrow down this process and find the right dog for us. We are focused on temperament rather than color or gender. Leads of reputed small breeders who will carefully help select the right pup is also appreciated.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Having allergies, I stick to the smallest dog possible. I am still allergic to my 6 pound dogs (I have 2) but I can manage most of the time. There have been very rough periods though where I was questioning my ability to keep them due to my breathing issues.

As for size, there seems to be a consensus that the calmest of the three sizes is the standard, the miniature being the most energetic/hyper. Not all of them are of course. There is no moyen in Canada or the US. It’s a European size. Don’t fall into that trap. About standards, members who have them generally say they calm down around 3 years of age. A toy will be calmer from 12 months on, and a lot calmer at 2. Minis will probably be in between toys and standard on the maturity aspect.

If I were you I would be looking for an oversized toy. Smaller, but sturdy enough and less allergies. Mine are oversized but only 6-7 pounds. You could find one around 8-10 pounds.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What you are looking for may be hard to find. A moyen is not a recognized size in the US and reputable breeders don’t breed them. A mini is around 15 inches at the shoulder and around 15 lbs more or less. Mine happens to be slightly oversized at 15 1/2 at the shoulder and 20 lbs, so you never know. In my opinion a mini is a good option if you want a smaller size that is also very sturdy, active, and a good size around small children. There is never any guarantee on adult size and the best a breeder could do is guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Have you considered your children when thinking about what size of poodle to get?

i had a toy poodle when my daughters were young. Both were very calm and gentle children so having a small dog worked. I had a minipoo as a child and I too was quiet and gentle. If your children are rambunctious a standard poodle will be able to deal with more rough housing than a toy or minipoo can. If they tend to be calmer and gentle then a minipoo would be a good choice.

You are wise to focus on temperament. We have a member who’s mother has a wonderful minipoo from Eriand, definitely consider them.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If you're interested in looking at a work-in-progress list of Breeders which have been recommended by PF members, here's a link to it and some additional resources:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I chose a mini because of their size and my children. I have three children my youngest was two when we got our mini, she occasionally jumps up the kids to play and she’s so light they don’t budge! Obviously a standard doing that would knock em over. I would avoid moyens as they aren’t a recognised breed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious if anyone has looked at crabapple poodles in NH? They have moyens but she seems to be invested in betterment of the breed and understanding genetic diversity.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just googled them. They are small standards which means you could get a pup that grows larger than you would like, just because the parents are small doesn’t mean you will get a small pup if it decends from standards. Also I can’t see any indication they carry out any health tests? If so that’s far from bettering a breed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just googled them. They are small standards which means you could get a pup that grows larger than you would like, just because the parents are small doesn’t mean you will get a small pup if it decends from standards. Also I can’t see any indication they carry out any health tests? If so that’s far from bettering a breed.
You are right. The more I read and research the more I’m inclined to stick with a mini.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We had a standard with eight (mine, my nephews and 2 I babysat) kids ages 3 to 13. My standard was 1 year old when I got him and 50 pounds. He was great with the children. Size isn't always the criteria. Big dogs tend to know their size. Also, they can get bumped into without bones breaking.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

search results from PF members on Crabapple Downs

Vee is correct that the Medium/Moyen/Klein is not a variety recognized by AKC or CKC, the Canadian Kennel Club, but is by the FCI. There are a very few breeders that are importing some of that variety and carefully breeding.

You might look for mpoo breeders who are producing the occasional oversize mini, or a standard breeder who is breeding to the smaller end of the spectrum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts