Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been absent from the forum for a while due to hectic work and life commitments, but I'm very happy to be back, and glad to see that everyone's doing well! I'm also happy to announce that, after more than a year of worldwide search, we have found our second poodle: in one month, Shilo, a 7+ month silver beige mini currently standing at 14.5 inches, will fly from New Zealand to join our current mini, Vontae, and the rest of our family in Taiwan! You can see his photos below, taken a few weeks ago.

The twists and turns of how I found and committed to Shilo were so incredible that, please bear with me for sharing the story:

I had never considered getting a dog from New Zealand until I inadvertently saw an ad for Shilo on DogzOnline, the main purebred website for Australia/New Zealand. Over the next 3 days, I spoke and messaged extensively with Shilo's breeder (Pam from Chamarre) and also cold-called Shilo's mom's breeder (Wendy from Whitout, also in New Zealand) and Shilo's dad's breeder (Dawn from Horizon Poodles in Minnesota). The parents' breeders both picked up the phone right away, and each ended up chatting with me for about an hour, offering incredibly detailed and consistent understanding and knowledge of all the relevant dogs in the pedigree.

Then, after we finalized the purchase following all the phone calls and online genetic testing due diligence, Shilo's breeder, Pam, told me over a video call: "Do you remember I told you how there was another very keen buyer for Shilo, but I prefer your home? I just realized that buyer is your Facebook friend: Miwako from Japan." For those of you who may remember, Miwako happens to be the Japanese breeder whom I visited back in January and whose female silver Moyen, Rio, I fell in love with but couldn't convince Miwako to sell!

The next morning, Miwako messaged me on FB, to congratulate me on getting Shilo - emphasizing she's very happy that he will end up with me. AND - she said that once Shilo matures, she wants to bring Rio to Taiwan to breed Rio to Shilo: that was why she wanted Shilo in the first place, to breed him specifically to Rio!

So, I agreed in theory, on the condition that Shilo passes all the recommended genetic/DNA tests. And, as long as she covers all the pregnancy-related expenses, all the puppies will be hers for free. I feel it's only right, given how incredibly helpful and generous she's been to me throughout this whole year-long search for our second pup - and I certainly couldn't blame her for not selling Rio to me; that dog is truly special...

I was talking to Pam and Dawn about how incredibly inter-connected our world has become - and this chain of events in the past 3 days is a remarkable example of that. In between everything, there was a breeder in Australia, Narelle from Funtosy, whom I have never met, who generously gave me tons of advice via FB messenger on the "market" in New Zealand/Australia, and on what questions and steps I should go through to make sure I feel right and good about Shilo.

We are soooo happy that we have finally found Shilo, and we can't wait for Vontae to meet his new baby brother. With everything that had to happen to lead to this outcome, I also want to thank all the people here on Poodleforum who have tirelessly shared their expertise and experiences to enable me to arrive at this happy point.

Look forward to sharing Shilo's Kiwi exit and Formosa new life with all of you soon :)

Kevin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
It is nice to hear from you and especially with such nice news. I look forward to seeing the story unfold further.

Reactions: kchen95

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am newer to PF. That is an awesome story!
Do you see many poodles in Taiwan? I lived in Japan for a few years but it was in an area where not many people had dogs. If they did they were mostly shiba inu and often kept outside.
Exciting for you!
Jennifer (Sage and Saffron)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am newer to PF. That is an awesome story!
Do you see many poodles in Taiwan? I lived in Japan for a few years but it was in an area where not many people had dogs. If they did they were mostly shiba inu and often kept outside.
Exciting for you!
Jennifer (Sage and Saffron)
Hi Jennifer, welcome to PF! Whereabouts in Japan did you live? Poodles are one of the most popular breeds in Taiwan, but they're almost all toy size or gigantic standards - not the 20-23 inch kind, but 25+ inches. My current poodle, Vontae, is an oversized toy at 13 inches, and he looks like a giant compared to the vast majority of poodles here. This is why I had to search worldwide - I want a medium-size poodle in the 15-20 inch range.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
It's great hearing from you! Congrats on the new Mini he's really beautiful! I wonder how Vontae will react? Bet he might get his nose out of joint for a few days...... and then watch out! It will be hours of playtime for him I bet! Make sure you post pictures of Gotcha Day!!!

Reactions: kchen95

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You new boy is gorgeous. I'm fairly new on poodle forum and although I've had many breeds before I have my 1st st poodle, who will shortly be 11 months old. I've learned so much here, Poodles certainly are amazing. What a great big world we have here. Looking forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Welcome back, kchen :). It's lovely to see you and Vontae again, and to learn of your very studious search with the happy result of Shilo. Silver beiges are stunning.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the kind words!

The next issue I'm deciding on is whether I want to get Shilo in 30 days (the minimum required wait time for travel after he got his rabies shot, per importation regulation), or wait until January 2019. I do admissions consulting for applicants applying to MBA programs and undergrads, and this is the most hectic professional time of year for me, with all the schools' deadlines bunched up in early January. If I get Shilo in 30 days (late November), I basically wouldn't have time to do any substantial training with him; if I get him in January, when my work dies down to virtually nothing, I would have all the time in the world to devote to his adjustment. But, I still kinda want him as soon as possible :) And, given he's already well trained as a 7-month-old show dog, he may not need much training/adjustment, beyond the common sense stuff.

We'll see :)

Kevin

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Shilo will definitely need downtime to begin to observe and get to know your home. I would not rush him into a strong training program, but rather give him a few months to acclimate, given his older puppy age. What's been imprinted will be very strong, and that may or may not be a non-incidental blend into your family life.

I suggest maybe going ahead, and concentrating first on building a family relationship with him. Let him get through the huge lifestyle change and begin to make friends with you all and Vontae before throwing him into a challenging program. Just imo.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shilo will definitely need downtime to begin to observe and get to know your home. I would not rush him into a strong training program, but rather give him a few months to acclimate, given his older puppy age. What's been imprinted will be very strong, and that may or may not be a non-incidental blend into your family life.

I suggest maybe going ahead, and concentrating first on building a family relationship with him. Let him get through the huge lifestyle change and begin to make friends with you all and Vontae before throwing him into a challenging program. Just imo.
Thanks Streetcar - I definitely agree that's the best course of action. I've already gone through this once with Vontae - although he was a young dog, not a puppy (2 years old), when he came to us. But hopefully just like Vontae, Shilo will have already completed all his basic training from his breeder - I mean things like house training, walking on lead, riding in a car, all of which his breeder says he has already completed. I don't plan on going anywhere beyond this - just making sure that he will be able to maintain this level of "training" but nothing more until he's fully acclimated.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks Streetcar - I definitely agree that's the best course of action. I've already gone through this once with Vontae - although he was a young dog, not a puppy (2 years old), when he came to us. But hopefully just like Vontae, Shilo will have already completed all his basic training from his breeder - I mean things like house training, walking on lead, riding in a car, all of which his breeder says he has already completed. I don't plan on going anywhere beyond this - just making sure that he will be able to maintain this level of "training" but nothing more until he's fully acclimated.

Kevin
I may well be dead wrong in how I thought that out, and it's fair to you to share my thinking was possibly too much influenced by having gotten Oliver at four years from his first family. He was terribly unhappy about it. In fact, at first I thought I'd just foster him and find him a new family.

Somewhere along the way I realized he was home with me, and he had turned a corner.

So completely different situation, and also I misunderstood about the training program :).

I should have provided this info up front. However you choose, Shilo will have a great time coming to your home :).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts