Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My poodle puppy, Olive, loves to scratch me. She normally scratches when she is upset. She only scratches me, not herself. Is it normal for poodles to scratch when they are upset?
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes, that's a normal way for dogs to get attention from people, and you'll need to train her to stop by pre-empting the behavior. Do you have a sense of what she's asking for when she is trying to get your attention? For example, she may need to go potty or want to play.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
And what is it that she wants you to do at that moment? Is she upset because she wants something? Upset because something was taken away?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upset because something that she cannot have was taken away and she wants it. We often fight about the slippers and the shoes!

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
First, are you sure that she is taking the slippers because she actually wants them? Or is she taking them because she wants attention, and she knows you will chase her if she takes something you value?

Trade. When you take the slippers away, give her something of equal or higher value. A stuffed animal or a bully stick might do it. Or, if she wants to play, give her a ball or a tug toy and play with her for a couple minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts