Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bailey is not a senior dog though I fear his scratched cornea is the result of horseplay with our senior dog Bear, our much-loved big boy spoo. We noticed Bailey’s eye injury in the afternoon — he was squinting and the eye looked so red! — and we rushed to the vet. They confirmed a scratch to the right cornea. So he is in a cone and we will be giving him anti-inflammatory (for a couple of days only), antibiotic ointment 4 times daily, and antihistamine twice a day. Poor poor sweet Bailey. It breaks my heart to see him in a cone. He will have to be in it for a week, then back we go to see if our ministrations have healed the scratch. If not he will have to be sedated and treated surgically. This is so difficult. I hope at least Bailey will get used to the cone. He is the sweetest little guy and only 8.5 months old. I just want to cry. He was happily loving on his groomer only hours before he got hurt. I blame myself for not watching the horseplay more carefully. It goes on a lot, but no one has ever gotten hurt. Sob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
As long as your pup leaves the eye alone it should heal up fairly quickly. A Kong Cloud Elizabethan collar is another choice. I found keeping my pup close to me and dispensing treats ( not something I do regularly) helped a lot in acceptance

https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Cloud-Collar-Collar-Large/dp/B0045Y1JGG

Sad to say I am very experienced in Corneal Abrasions or scratches.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Aww poor Bailey, poor you too. It hurts us more I think when our firkins are injured. Well on a good note you noticed it quickly and hopefully it heals quickly.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Poor Bailey, I hope his cornea heals quickly and without any problems so he can avoid surgery. It’s going to be tough for him wearing that cone

Reactions: gateapples

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as your pup leaves the eye alone it should heal up fairly quickly. A Kong Cloud Elizabethan collar is another choice. I found keeping my pup close to me and dispensing treats ( not something I do regularly) helped a lot in acceptance

https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Cloud-Collar-Collar-Large/dp/B0045Y1JGG

Sad to say I am very experienced in Corneal Abrasions or scratches.

Oh gosh, I hope you are right. I would hate to have to think of him having to go through further drama with this issue. He seems to be accepting the cone well enough; it is probably I who is suffering the most. I just hate to see him uncomfortable or perceived by me as being uncomfortable. Thank you for your message!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor Bailey, I hope his cornea heals quickly and without any problems so he can avoid surgery. It’s going to be tough for him wearing that cone

He is such a little trooper. At least, it does not seem to have affected his appetite. He ate very well this morning. He seems a little sleepy, but I think that may be the effect of the antihistamines. The veterinarian warned me about that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aww poor Bailey, poor you too. It hurts us more I think when our firkins are injured. Well on a good note you noticed it quickly and hopefully it heals quickly.

I have to credit my husband with noticing the eye. I was running around yesterday but fortunately, one of us is usually doting on the dogs. He brought it to my attention right away. I was on the phone to the vet two minutes later.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I can tell from your posts you two are doting parents to your boys. I think the fast action will help it clear up really fast. Dogs will be dogs in their play. Our boxer doesn't play, he is just lazy and Renn wants to do poodle play, which I'm learning is running, jumping and play biting. I've dog sat my neighbors two poodles a few times now and that is exactly what they do. I though Renn was just being rude, LOL. Guess I will need a 2nd poodle at some point. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell from your posts you two are doting parents to your boys. I think the fast action will help it clear up really fast. Dogs will be dogs in their play. Our boxer doesn't play, he is just lazy and Renn wants to do poodle play, which I'm learning is running, jumping and play biting. I've dog sat my neighbors two poodles a few times now and that is exactly what they do. I though Renn was just being rude, LOL. Guess I will need a 2nd poodle at some point. LOL

Yes! Poodles do play in that special way. Our late lab was good friends with Bear but they just hung out, never played. Renn is being a quintessential poodle when he tries to play that way! My two also add little short play growls — so cute. I am going to be more vigilant from now on though I can’t have eyes everywhere and as you say dogs will be dogs in their play. Too bad you live so far away! We could have play dates!

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
That is a drag. I hope it isn't too bad of an abrasion. I had a pretty nasty corneal abrasion when I was a child. I actually had to wear an eye patch so I couldn't absent mindedly rub it and make it worse. I remember it being pretty painful I hope Bailey feels better fast.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Are you sure this didn't happen at the groomer? Two of our dogs over the years have suffered scratched corneas after going to the groomers, so I'm immediately suspicious! I hope he's feeling better. He'll get used to the cone and it will keep that eye safe while it heals. :love2:

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Ohhhh, poor baby ! My little Chihuahua had a scratched cornea from Merlin (toy poodle) pawing her eye. She had treatment for about 7-10 days, I can’t remember, and when we went back for a check-up it had healed perfectly.

I’m sure it will be the same for Bailey. Hang in there, time flies, even with a cone on your head, lol !

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
You know Bailey is kinda cute in his cone - but hope it doesn't last too long and that the eye clears up quickly. Antihistamines make me drowsy too, so am not surprised there. Healing thoughts your way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a drag. I hope it isn't too bad of an abrasion. I had a pretty nasty corneal abrasion when I was a child. I actually had to wear an eye patch so I couldn't absent mindedly rub it and make it worse. I remember it being pretty painful I hope Bailey feels better fast.

Oooh you poor thing! You still remember. Yes I am told that it is painful. I THINK Bailey is doing better this evening. He’s so good about the ointment in his sweet eye.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you sure this didn't happen at the groomer? Two of our dogs over the years have suffered scratched corneas after going to the groomers, so I'm immediately suspicious! I hope he's feeling better. He'll get used to the cone and it will keep that eye safe while it heals. :love2:

Well I know my husband wondered about that. The groomer sent me a picture when she said he was ready and his eyes looked fine then. But the vet said something about hair after grooming getting into the eye and causing irritation. So difficult because what can we do?

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Oooh you poor thing! You still remember. Yes I am told that it is painful. I THINK Bailey is doing better this evening. He’s so good about the ointment in his sweet eye.

The stinker part of the eye patch was it was on for my birthday when I turned 10 or 11 or thereabouts. I did not enjoy that birthday one little bit.

I am glad Bailey is doing well being a patient.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Well I know my husband wondered about that. The groomer sent me a picture when she said he was ready and his eyes looked fine then. But the vet said something about hair after grooming getting into the eye and causing irritation. So difficult because what can we do?
Yeah, not much you can do, but my lack of trust is why I usually do my own grooming now. I'm just glad your baby seems to be feeling better tonight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ohhhh, poor baby ! My little Chihuahua had a scratched cornea from Merlin (toy poodle) pawing her eye. She had treatment for about 7-10 days, I can’t remember, and when we went back for a check-up it had healed perfectly.

I’m sure it will be the same for Bailey. Hang in there, time flies, even with a cone on your head, lol !

Sooo hoping for a good result. He’s had his meds today including ointment 4 times and is already looking better, just a little, but better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stinker part of the eye patch was it was on for my birthday when I turned 10 or 11 or thereabouts. I did not enjoy that birthday one little bit.

I am glad Bailey is doing well being a patient.

Awwww when we are 10 or 11, an eye patch is so much more difficult to bear than as an adult!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, not much you can do, but my lack of trust is why I usually do my own grooming now. I'm just glad your baby seems to be feeling better tonight.

I hear you. And I wish I could acquire the necessary talent/know-how to groom my babies. Maybe some day ... Bailey just jumped up to lie down next to me on my bed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts