bloody every time! Grrr...why? Guess I'm going to have to stop shaving
his face now. :shot:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Every time I shave the cheek area, he scratches his face raw and
bloody every time! Grrr...why? Guess I'm going to have to stop shaving
his face now. :shot:
is it because his nails are freshly clipped ? If so try filing them down after you clip. Enzo makes marks on me all the time because he uses his paws for contact first which I hate . Some people think my cat has scratched me.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm no his nails hasn't been freshly clipped. Maybe the razor
just irritates his face, that's the only part he's been shaved he
likes to scratch up. *shrugs*

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hmmm no his nails hasn't been freshly clipped. Maybe the razor
just irritates his face, that's the only part he's been shaved he
likes to scratch up. *shrugs*
They have a gel to stop irritatation when shaving its called micro tek pet gel by eqyss. I am thinking about getting it for Enzo last time my sister shaved him he got a pink mark on one side of his face.

You can look up more info www.eqyss.com

I have the mega tek coat rebuilder I am going to start using it on Enzo I bought if for my own head lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have a gel to stop irritatation when shaving its called micro tek pet gel by eqyss. I am thinking about getting it for Enzo last time my sister shaved him he got a pink mark on one side of his face.

You can look up more info www.eqyss.com

I have the mega tek coat rebuilder I am going to start using it on Enzo I bought if for my own head lol
Thanks, I need to really look into that then! :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
what blade are you using MM? Are you making sure it isn't hot? How many passes does it take you to get all the hair off in that area? (and one more) Are you clipping clean hair or dirty hair?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the blade is the closest you can get to skin (10" maybe if I
remember correctly), the razor I use doesn't over heat easily so
never hot, and I usually bath him before shaving. :(

Not sure how many passes exactly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think if you hold the blade at the wrong angle you can irritate the skin, too. Are you making sure that the blade is flat against the face? You don't want to be angling the end towards the face at all.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm almost positive I'm doing it right, none of the other dogs
I've shaved have had any problems, just Scooter. :shot:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Make sure you're blade is a #10 MM, that isn't the closest you can get the skin, that would be like a 30 or 40 blade. If you're using one of those on the face, you probably need to back up to a 10. So just double check the number.

Sounds like you're doing well so far, I was going to suggest clipping clean hair since it will clip off easier in fewer strokes but you are already doing that. It also comes off easier if it is already dry. There is such a thing as "wet shaving" but thats a whole different post and I don't like it anyhow so I wouldn't be the one to post about it.

If you shave his face again try and skim the hair off in just ONE pass. If you repeatedly shave the same area two, or three, or four times you are sure to irritate the skin. Try that sometime on your legs or something and see what happens.... (no, really don't- I can tell you what happens - Major Razor burn!), the result is pretty much the same with dogs as it is with people.

Also, you don't hold the blade completely flat, you DO angle it in slightly. When I was first going to school my instructor made us memorize all the different angles for the different blade sizes, but that was only for test purposes apparently. She said to imagine that you are holding a pencile just under the base of the blade where it clips to the clipper. Said it would never lead me wrong, and so far she's been correct. Of course if you're holding it at to great and angle you most certainly will irritate the skin sooooo if you don't feel that you can get the right position you are by far leaving the blade completly flat against the skin. Keep in mind though it won't take the hair off as cleanly in most cases and you may be tempted to take another pass at the area. DON'T! Try and keep it to just one quick swipe.

Look into some of that cream or spray for clipper irritation to try and prevent it if you can.

Also what are you washing his face in ? Does it have a dye or a fragrance to it? It could be a reaction to the shampoo coupled with a freshly shaved face causing the itching. If the shampoo is making him itchy then it stands to reason that the easiest place for him to scratch is a freshly shaved face, and he can do the most damage to that which is why we notice it faster than anything else. Try and maybe file the nails down in the back so that they are not sharp and definitly if you clip his nails you need to file the ends to take the rough edges off so he can't do any damage to himself.

One more question - How often to you shave his face? It could be that it isn't getting done enough and his skin is sensative as a result. Kind of like if you went for a while without shaving and then decided to do it again one day, you'd likely have razor burn.

.....ummmm k don't think I can think of anything else.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sting attemps to scratch his muzzle after shaving but I just put aloe vera on it once or twice and that does the trick. Also, dont be shy about the amount you put on the muzzle.....I put a good amount and it dryes pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Make sure you're blade is a #10 MM, that isn't the closest you can get the skin, that would be like a 30 or 40 blade.
My sister uses 30 on Enzo's face , she is about to bath him today so I will post more pictures :D

Aloe Vera should work also. I use this all the time for my self when I shave my legs lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh and I thought of something else for you while I was doing Saleen's face today. You could clip the cheek with the grain of the hair instead of against. I'd probably still do the muzzel against the grain so you wont accidently poke him in the eye. But the cheek's should be fine going the other way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts