Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone made a thread on another forum about scars, and the war-stories behind them. I'm slightly strange and really enjoyed reading it so I thought I'll start one here and see what impressive scars everyone has, and the stories behind them!!!???

I'll start;

I have a big scar across my knee. The easiest way to tell you about it is to quote my original post (on another forum) that I made the same day it happened... Nov 2007; title "Owwwwiiieeeeee!!!!!"
lemme say first up; beware of escalators!!!

Me and fiance [lol, hubby now!] were in the mall (mmmm, sushi!!) and heading home. I was in a hurry, wanting to get back as I'm house/dog sitting and wanted to get back to let the setters out. Go to walk up the escalator, but catch my foot on the rising step as I go, and trip. Meh, who cares aey? I was going UP so it's not like there was far to fall (ouch if I'd tripped going down!) but bugg*r if I didn't land on my knee. Right on the edge of the next step up. Has anyone *looked* at those step edges?? They are lethal!!

Anyway, I knew very well I'd cut myself, as I could feel a bit of blood and saw my jeans had a rip, but to be honest it didn't hurt more than just a bit of a graze or cut and figured there'd be no point stopping to look at it here, I'll keep going (up two more escalators) and go home (I was driving). Got home, dropped my pants... hmmmm, hun, maybe we should go to the hopsital. Turns out it was a big ol gash, looked to be around an inch deep on my kneecap. Because of the nature of a bending joint, and the skin no longer being held together, it had bulged out a bit too.

EWWWW! I tell ya, I might have lots lots of weight recently, but seeing that fat exposed right there infront of me reminds me there's still plenty to loose!

I figure though, that I'm still walking and not really in that much pain, so it's no emergancy and I'll go to the urgent doctors rather than the emergancy center at the hospital. So we wait for an hour or so there, only to have it looked at and told it's a bit too much and too deep (possibly to the knee cap, though they didn't want to pry toooo deep!) for them to want to do it, and so they wheel me around the road to the hospital and the emergancy center. *sigh* heh, it was fun being wheeled along the road though! Never been in a wheel chair before really.... (Hey, I gotta find SOMETHING to have fun with, or I'd be balling my eyes out!)

So another hour or two waiting around, turns out it wasn't quite to the knee cap, though was darn close, and I eventually get back to the let out the setters here with 12 stitches (never had stitches before either!) and a new found wariness of escalators.
Followed up a few hours later with this:

Ya all know I'm a photo nut, and my photo nuttiness does go as far as getting my camera out in the car on the way to the hospital to take a photo of the wound!! I'll only link it, do NOT go there if you are at ALL squeemish, it's not nice!!!
WARNING do NOT click here if you are squeemish!!!!!
I imagine quite a number of ya won't look at all, which is fine! Don't! I'm getting the heebie-jeebies looking at it too, though admittedly I think it's worse knowing it's MY knee there! It is without any cleaning at all, just a change of pants at home and jumping in the car to go to hospital.

It aches pretty much all the time, and tends to make me squeal when I get up having sat down for a while, but once up and moving about is back to the dull ache again and is quite tolerable. Even when I forget painkillers all day! lol.

I'll get another pic once I get this bandaging off, for a pic of the luverly stitches. I promise it won't be as gory!!
and the stitches pic was posted the next day: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/flyingduster2/P1013355.jpg

The scar, as of this afternoon:

looking straight at my knee

looking down on my knee:

it is surprisingly difficult to get a decent photo of it! It's all massivly puckered and gross if I straighten my leg out, but if I bend my knee it goes so far around & under my knee that I can't get a decent pic of it... lol!

The scarred skin has no sensation itself, but the flesh under it does... You know that weird sensation if your fingers are really cold and you can't actually *feel* your thumb running along them, but you can feel the *pressure* sorta?? It's like that. But the nerves run right through to my kneecap and I can feel the sensation right through my knee, but not at the surface and I get major heebie-jeebies if I run my finger along the scar cos I can feel it, but not feel it...... *shudder*

I also have countless lil scars on my hands and forearms from animals (mainly dogs and the odd cat or rat) but they're boring and tiny and no real 'war stories' behind them, just bratty lil puppies! LOL!

soooooooooo, who else has scars to share!? Or am I the only weirdo here?? LOL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
:scared::scared::scared::scared:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
thats terrible FD o.o

and Salukie...whatever happened to the demon cat that did that to your hand? o.o

I have only one scar... XD a small thing on my knee from my first ((And only bicycle accident)) the joys of having a helicopter mom I've never needed stitches in my life ^_^

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I was still a baby, I pet a grumpy basset hound at a baby sitters, and he bit my face, hands, and legs. I have visible scars still on my hand and face that'll be permanent for the rest of my life, but they're part of me now. :) If I ever didn't see the scar on my left hand I'd think the world was ending.

And a few years ago in high school I was holding a friends cat (this cat is such a brat, always bites) and someone decided to turn the vacuum on. Kitty got pissed and I got a 3 inch jagged scratch right across my wrist. It looks like I tried to kill myself and failed miserably.

And I have MANY more all over my arms that'll probably fade from being scratched at work. I also have a smaller one on my right arm that I couldn't get a picture of of three dots where, in second grade, I tried to cut the hair off of my arm and ended up cutting my skin off!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
And holy crap FD! That's an awesome wound! One heck of a battle scar! You should say you rescued *insert family member* from an axe murderer!
ROFL agreed.

(camera is dead or I'd post photos)
I don't have any good ones really. One on my knee that;s obvious from fainting in the parking lot of the base hospital when I was really young. I skinned my knees a lot as kid.

I have one on my finger that I *think* is either the result of a hamster bite, or when a childhood friend cut the hell out of me with the teacher's scissors at preschool. It was so long ago I honestly cannot remember which hand it was and which finger bled the most and if it even left a scar. The hamster bit me several times though lol. Hummmm or it could be from the chihuahua my grandmother got me for my fourth birthday he bit me a lot too....

and now I have a c-section scar but I can't see it and seeing as how I'd have to undress my bottom half to get a decent picture (if the camera was charged) you can't see it either :p The one time I've looked I almost passed out. Still surprises me in the shower sometimes when I can feel it and it hurts a lot still when I stretch and try and get comfortable in bed. *shrugs* oh welllllllll.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't have pictures but I have some crazy ones. I have a V shaped scar on my hand from a crazy cat who was front declawed. I was a tech and was holding this cat's scruff and she managed to claw the snot out of my hand. Deep cuts too!
On my left hand I have a 1 inch scar from my cat's sister (thankfully my cat is super sweet and has never used her teeth or claws on anyone) and she managed to hit a nerve in my wrist so I didn't have feeling in the side of my hand and part of my pinkie for a year. The cat actually managed to scratch my stomach and chest through 2 shirts and I have a couple left from that too.
I have an ugly one on my right thigh from where my brother accidentally pushed me on 2 rusty screws on an old tricycle whose seat had snapped off. He didn't know it was there and didn't mean to do it and he tried to pull me up but ended up tearing the skin more. It looks a lot like flyingduster's knee on a smaller scale

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oh yeah, and I have one on my arm from when I got bit by a brown recluse when I was young. The scar is little, but when you feel it there's a huge dent beneath the skin where the spider venom ate through my muscle. You can pretty much feel down to the bone.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
ewwww FD, I couldn't help it. I had to click... *shudders* lol. That's quite a hole you have going on there. I think I might have just died from shock

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
OMG!!! FD...that was a horrible mess! I guess you are very lucky it healed the way it did when one sees the gaping hole. YUCK!!! I KNOW I would have fainted if that had been me.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Flyingduster, I cannot believe that didn't have you rolling on the ground screaming in pain!!! That is INSANE!!

I have a scar on my finger from when I was young and tried to test my reflexes against an automatic office stapler.

I have another on a different finger from when I was whittling a marshmallow roasting stick with a brand new knife and it cut off the tip of the stick and the blade sunk into my finger.

I have a scar on my knee from when I thought it'd be a good idea to tie an 80 lb lab to myself and get it to pull me on a skateboard.

I have a scar on my lip from when I was tobogganing and smashed into a tree and bit through my lip.

I have/had a scar (it's really hard to see now) on my arm from when we were playing capture the flag in a forest and as I was tearing through the trees, a small branch stabbed through my arm and broke off like a piercing :p...it was gruesome and painful, but it was kinda cool.

I have/had a scar on the top of my right hand from when I asked my dad to melt the end of this plastic rope so I could make a dog leash for one of my stuffed animals, and when he was burning it, a melted drop fell off right on to my hand and severely burned me.

Then I have a bunch of scars on my elbows and legs from basketball, soccer and rugby.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
o.o
gonna reiterate the thankfulness of my helicopter mom!!

ohhh I do have a skin biopsy scar :D see I'm as cool as you scarred guys >.>

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I couldn't even read all of FD's story--I would have fainted without even being there.

I have a scar on my chin from tripping on a concrete step at my grandma's house when I was 6. I got three stitches. I don't remember much about the whole incident.

I have a scar on my left index finger from when I was 4. I apparently thought that opening a box of tea bags with a paring knife was a good idea. Where was my supervision??! :doh:

I have a crescent shaped scar on my left hand from being scratched by an old english sheepdog when I was about 5.

I have an appendectomy scar that is currently lost in a roll of fat.

And I have so many cat scratch scars on my forearms (some of them almost 20 years old) that I've been asked by more than one doctor if I cut myself. :scared:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL!!! this is great!! hahaha.

Well Keith, does it help that this was, my only encounter with needing stitches in my whole life (so far.....), and a helicopter mom wouldn't make a difference cos I was living away from home with my fiance and was in town anyway.... hehehe! And yes, I still don't *quite* believe that was *really* my knee!!! omg!? It truely didn't hurt much, sure it ached and hurt, I was hobbling along cos I knew there was damage and I wanted to keep it to a minimum, but yeah... When I got home I found my jeans wouldn't go up over my knee properly to see it, so I drop my pants and looked, and it was probably just as well I was standing in front of the bed cos I just yelled for hubby (then fiance) to bring a flannel, sat down, lay back and blubbered to myself cos OMG it looked sooooooo bad! It didn't FEEL bad, but I couldn't look at it! The adrenaline of seeing it had me up and pumping again, laughing at how I was making hubby wait a min while I find my camera before we rush off. lol! I figured I had to laugh, or I'd have been a mess... ewwww!

Pics people, post pics!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
My only noticeable scar is an inch and a half long scar right on top of my bicep. I had a horrible job in college - working at the only Salad Works on a campus of 10,000 girls (still have nightmares). My boss washed the floor in front of the oven without warning us, and I go rushing in to put some "fresh rolls" in the oven to warm (a.k.a. defrost), slip, and just missed falling face first into the oven, instead only burning my arm. It was very Hansel and Gretel.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
OMG, FD! When you do something, you do it all the way!! I have a 9 inch long scar on my right thigh from an over exuberant greeting from my kid brother's 65 lb. poodle mix, Rainbow, now long gone. She liked to greet me with gusto, I had her when she was a young pup and my brother was finishing college. Wearing shorts to his house was stupid of me. I knew that dog would body slam me the minute she saw me. I'm glad to have my ragged dog nail scar because it reminds of that silly, peppy, shaggy pooch who literally ruled my brother's house and all our hearts. I always think of her around the 4th of July because she was so frightened by fireworks. And speaking of fireworks, in the good old USA there would have been some had someone take such a grizzly fall in a mall, can you say, "LAWSUIT"?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts