Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bathe Rio (13 weeks) once a week, though find that mid week or even 2 days after bath I can smell a pee pee kinda smell. I know he pees on his hind legs sometimes and try to wipe it through out the week with a warm wet cloth.

Can I clip some of this hair off? Would it help?? What about that stringy hair of the end of his peners? Can I snip that?? The hair seems to get all nasty and hard because of all the dried pee on it. Sorry if this sounds strange, it was just a though on how I could make things a little less smelly....

Also- I have NO idea what a "real" sanitary clip is, he hasn't yet been to the groomers, just me bathing and lots of brushing, nails, ears, and a little scissor trimming up the bum.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes you can cut the hair of his peepee. I definitely take the hair off. Once a week bathing is a bit much for a pup. Caring for their privates is just like keeping a baby clean. Their are some waterless cleaners that may help with the legs versus all the baths unless you are just doing the legs.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Some dogs do better with the 'pee string' left on; it can help direct the flow downward for those that hit their front legs! But personally I much prefer a nice clean one on them and buzz 'em down short, so yes you can definitely trim it off!!

Trimming the hair on his legs probably won't make any difference to him peeing on them, but yes if you want to, you can do it! Poodle hair grows back well, you can cut it as much as you want to experiment!! lol

A true sanitary clip is shaving out the whole groin, including up to just in front of the shaft on boys, and trimming around the anus too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts