Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve only colored Sandy one other time when she was younger with chalk so this was a different learning experience. I used crazy liberty permanent dye. The first time I did her legs and today I did the rest. You can tell how the first time I let it sit a lot longer and did better coverage. Today I ran out of time ( had to pick up kids from school) so I was rushed.

Tomorrow I’m getting 3f blades that will hopefully take a good amount off hair on her body so she can have a more of a pony doodle look. Amazon was out of 4f and 7 is just too short. Then I will go back and redo the dye on her mane and tail. It’s very splotchy .

If I could go back and do a redo I would do less time on the legs so it’s not so in your face loud. Hopefully they will fade some overtime.

Nova is like “ What happened to you?” and keeps taunting her by pulling on her poofs then running off.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
She's very colorful - pretty colors, they remind me of My Pretty Pony toy's colors. The hearts came out well defined, I would think that's difficult to do. Good job.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Before I tried out my new shears it looked like this 🤪.. very ink blob like. The other side came out dyed better. So it was a good excuse to start using them .

09D3BBFF-495C-4195-96E0-3C4CB2419343.jpeg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finished her shave today. Not the best picture but you can see I took a lot of hair off with the 3f . I like the length as it doesn’t show any skin. It was very slow going even though her hair was clean and fluffed. Next part I’m going to retouch up on the dye on ears tail and mane. In a few days though. Unfortunately I have to get housework done 😢.

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
The anklet poms and heart came out really well in your 2nd touch up! The tail is a nice blend of color and poofy. I might try to poof up the pony mane and shape it a wee bit more (if I had the skills to that, which I don't). This was a fun thing to do with your poodle and I can't help smiling when I see Sandy's photos; hope you share more.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We haven’t gone out in public yet. I’m almost nervous too. There are a lot of color haters. We will traveling next week so I will find out. I wasn’t sure if I liked it at first when I had just the legs done (I was like ahhh my eyes that’s too bright) but once I put hearts I really love it. It just made it complete looking.
When she lays down straight you can see the hearts on either side.🥰
The ears I was going to trim anyways because Nova my puppy has torn them all up.

I’m not sure if it will make it look better by making the mane more of a narrow strip or leave it wide. I don’t want to shape it too much as that makes it less pony like. The whole mane does make her have a shorter looking neck though.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That is a colorful groom, good job! I think it looks very pretty. It’s funny how color sparks strong reactions in people. Color in human hair has become more mainstream, maybe we’ll soon see that tolerance extended to animals. AKC now is allowing it in agility as a pilot, times they are a changing!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I used to color my dog for holidays at nursing home and school visits. Everyone loved it. Some patients would be so upset if my visit time coincided with a time when they would be off site...I usually made an extra visit just so they could see the dog. Mel, continue to enjoy what you are doing. You probably will never know how much joy, seeing a colored poodle brings to people's lives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts