Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
So cute - love the poodle pics and it looks like you have a fine one there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My kids call him Heart Boy because when he was born it looked like a heart on his head. We bred Sandy a one time breeding before having her spayed in the next couple of months . I had her DNA health test, brucellosis done and had a vet check her out. I choose not to do the hips because her sire and Mom (who is now 12) didn’t have issues and she doesn’t have issues and those exams aren’t guaranteeing anything . Sire if the litter is fully tested. So we had a litter of 5. I would like to say it was a completely healthy litter but we have a boy who is still struggling (more on his story later) but he is strong and with people who are more experienced than I am at the moment. I am hoping to get him back and keeping him. We are also keeping a girl but I have 3 to choose from so I’m hoping to narrow it down soon. I love them all and would keep every single one if it was up to me ?. The other two girls have homes already.. so it’s for sure I have to pick. Its just Heart boy that doesn’t yet. If it doesn’t work out with my other boy puppy ( it depends on a how he does and if we are the best home for him ) maybe I could convince DH to keep him.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Wow! It's been awhile since we've heard from you! Sandy became a mom of 5! WOW! How about a pic of all of them.......who did you breed her to? What color was he? Sandy was always a gorgeous girl, so I know she had gorgeous pups! What seems to be the problem with the little boy you mention? Hope he is now thriving!
C'mon girl give us some updates! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bred her to Int/UKC Rosie’s Gift to Kassel. He’s a light apricot/cream abstract ( darker than Sandy) . He is such a sweet heart. He did friendly the whole body tail shake when we met. My girl isn’t even a big tail wiggler so it was funny to see one that is so different.

They were 4 weeks on Thursday. Here is a picture of them all sleeping ( without the 5th boy) from a few days ago. I just got new dryer yesterday so I’m putting it to use and so far I love it ( kool extreme) .

Ok the story on my little one that is currently being called Roo. Right before Sandy was bred I took her to get more heartguard meds because I misplaced mine. I thought nothing of the test so I didn’t wait for results (she didn’t go off heart guard) before we made the 7hr drive to the breeder. Well later that week I got a email telling me that sandy was borderline positive for Anaplasmosis a tick disease. I had a found a tick on her the week before and she did have a upset stomach for few day and she got over it and didn’t think anything about it. She’s a expert at trash raiding so I thought she might have gotten into the trash.

So I called the breeder to see if maybe we should wait until I find out more but when I called she told me that Sandy was bred...

63 days later my 4 was born. That was so amazing and scary at the same time. I had four and then when Sandy wanted to go out and potty the next morning she started pushing #5 out. I was totally shocked and I took her back in and she wouldn’t push so Obgrabed DH and suppliesband took her back out. So #5 was born outside. A girl.

My 2nd born was a tiny boy that couldn’t nurse. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and so quickly I checked his palate and he was a clefty. was pretty surprised because it’s not a known problem in poodles. We tried to syringe him that night and probably got a tiny amount down him. The next morning after #5 was born we took him to a repo vet as soon as they opened 2 hrs away. Not many vets know about cleft palate puppies. The vet told me most breeders will have them put down because they are difficult to raise and even they might have other problems because it’s a midline thing. Also that it was most like something environmental that caused it. Our clefty boy is so strong and made it through the night with a will to live so we told us to teach us how to feed him and we will give him his chance. So for the next 3 weeks every 2hrs I tubed him. He was growing so slow and so shaky that I took him to University of Florida to see if he has hydro. They told me he probably does but was to small to say and too small to do any test on him. I was really worried about it because the sooner they go on meds the better they do. With that in my mind and with school coming up I tearfully ( ok I cried like a baby lol) decided to give him to a rescue that deals with cleft palate babies and hydro . One of the ladies works for a vet and is able to get any meds that he might need . He is doing well and if turned out his main problem was that I was going by my originals vets advice. Feed and wait for the gain before going up. So I was feed 1ml per ounce of body weight. The risk of feeding too much is a big one because palate puppies can aspirate very easily. He has aspirated once at the rescue and developed pneumonia. They pushed his food too much. They put him on oxygen and meds. Currently he is off the oxygen and still on meds and he is doing well. I am so worried for him. You get really attached when you feed them so often. We do have first right to adopt him back so if it seems that’s best for him we will bring him home when he is ready.

We are having so much fun having puppies. I know it’s going to be hard when they go To their new homes. I haven’t advertised Heartboy anywhere yet but I don’t have any doubt that I will place in a special home.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last picture that I had of Roo with his brother Heart at 3 weeks. The nickname came because I didn’t want to choose names to call them by to hopefully lesson the attachment . It didn’t help. They have weird nicknames now. Roo was called LittleBoy ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Awww what a pretty little boy he is!( his Sire is gorgeous!) It sounds like his cleft was a birth defect not caused by heredity but by an chemical accident huh? Will he get surgery for his cleft in the future? It is nice you are so close to his caretakers that you can visit often as you like! Hope the little one keeps thriving!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I visited Roo today and shaved his face. He’s starting to look like a poodle. He is being tubed every 3 hrs until he bigger. I’m really blessed that the rescue is only about 15 minutes away from me and they have invited me to come over anytime.
Thinking good thoughts for little Roo. So glad you were able to find a rescue to help him and that you get to visit him. I studied cleft palates as an undergrad as part of my speech program, but never thought about this in relation to puppies!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She tried giving him gelatin dog food while I was there but it got stuck in his nose area . She quickly brushed it back out. Right now he doesn’t really open his mouth for food so if you shove it in there he clamps down and sends it up. They have several cleft palate dogs that learn how to eat and drink and they do fine even without surgery. I think with the way his palate opens up like a crack it makes it easier for food to get stuck so I think he should get surgery when he is older. The main thing right now is he is a bit uncoordinated with his hind but it could be he needs muscle build up. The only good thing about going to UF was that I got a new picture of his palate (attaches) .

His midline defect I think is more likely caused because Sandy was fighting the tick disease. The rescue has never gotten a poodle in before which is why they don’t know how to trim. They get a lot of French bulldogs and bully type breeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His weight is up to 22 ounces and my smallest one at hone right now is 38 oz so he is still a bit behind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on my little clefty baby (not the puppy in the first post) if anyone was following. I was notified by the rescue that while tube feeding he started fighting then passed away. They tried cpr ? . He was so strong that even though he didn’t have good odds I was thinking he was going to pull through.

We are having a necropsy done hopefully we will have some answers as to what happened.

Here he was the day before he passed. Still uncoordinated but he was sooo much stronger than the week before. Before he could hardly stand up without loosing his balance. He wouldn’t even look up. To see him looking so good and happy that was such a blessing but at the same time brings much sorrow. He was almost out of the danger zone. RIP Little Boy aka Roo.

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTI1NTMxMDUwMTgwMjI2NTozNjc5NTExODcyMDQ4NjI=

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s sad . This past week was the first week of school for the kids and I was so busy that I didn’t get to visit. Something that I really regret . The video was the first time I saw his tail wag. Sniff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts