Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Our poodle has had regular groomings since before we brought her home. The sooner they get positively acclimated to this process the better. I recommend finding a poodle-savvy groomer who will help to ease your puppy into all the new sights, sounds, smells, and sensations. Ideally they'll give you "homework," too (e.g. running the back of the clippers over their coat while feeding treats, always always in short, happy sessions - we started with less than a minute).

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Oh please start the grooming right away. It is so important that the pup is groomed right from the start. Groom the puppy often. I did not do much grooming when Asta was a puppy and now is a 5 year old terror to groom - you don't want that to happen, believe you me.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
How do I know if my new poodle is ready for his 1st grooming?
How old is your poodle? When you say grooming do you mean bathing? combing and brushing? clipping? Is your poodle matted?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think many breeders typically have introduced puppies to grooming tools and grooming within the first 6 weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Maizie was done by her breeder several times before I got her when she was 10 weeks old. I waited until her shots were complete for her first grooming shop grooming. I asked the groomer to make it a positive experience for her, so she just bathed her and did her FFT. The next time she got her first clip (pictured). After that, I only had her groomed professionally once and it was a disaster (not her wonderful original master groomer), so I took over and did it myself.

Frosty was also done several times by his breeder and then I took over. He has never been to a professional since his breeder.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts