Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From puppyhood, Sammy seemed to have separation anxiety, which I worked very hard to overcome. We had a great schedule and with my supervisor's assistance/understanding, he was alone at home for 3 hrs., had 45 minutes with me and then alone for 2 1/2 hrs. This schedule worked so well for him and he rapidly got to the point of not barking/going easily into his room, when I had to leave.

Like most, I am now working from home. My college aged son is home all day and I care for my 5 yr. old grandson daily ( that is for another post!). I am very worried that Sammy is going to have extreme separation anxiety when life goes back to normal. Although I do try to get all three of us out regularly, so Sammy has to spend some time alone, this doesn't happen very often.

Sammy is now trembling, rolling over in front of the front door and even trying to paw my shoes off when I get ready to leave the house. He is very distressed when left alone. Also, my supervisor is retiring this July and when school resumes, I do not know if my new administration will let me come home mid-day.

How are your poodles dealing with the quarentine? What steps are you taking to make the return to normal easier for them?

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I am lucky somehow as my husband is a recluse - so Asta is used to having someone at home. He still misses me. He will whine a bit when I leave and is much joy when I come home and he greets me at the door. Stay at home orders mean I stay home more, which he loves. He knows his job as a psych service dog and wants always to be near me.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
I just came across this Bark article on using lockdown time to work on separation anxiety - it may give you some ideas: Separation Anxiety Training

Reactions: Liz and Dogs4Life

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Aw. That's really hard. Change isn't easy for dogs, and some struggle with it more than others.

I think your present lack of routine might be contributing to Sammy's current anxiety. You could try sticking to a schedule, even if that means putting Sammy in his cozy place for a short rest even while you're home.

Does he have a good chew habit? If not, now's the time to get him hooked on stuffed Kongs or another safe and tasty chew that he enjoys. Keep these special treats for alone time only. (One trick that worked with my last girl was to put a handful of treats in her crate as we were getting ready to go out. Rather than anxiously watching us get ready, she'd spend the whole time wanting the treats and would happily hop in when we finally let her.)

And is hiring a dog walker an option for the future? If so, again now's a good time to start researching your options so Sammy has plenty of time to meet the walker (once it's safe to do so) and get to know him or her before it's back to work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You to everyone that replied. I did watch the video re: separation anxiety and it was helpful. I think we spoil Sammy too much. My son plans his college classes around Sammy, I plan my work schedule around Sammy and our social lives are planned around Sammy.

I could hire a dog walker, but between my son and I, we can juggle the situation. And, although sammy is very good with other people, he knows they are not "his" people. I'm just worried we will never be able to leave Sammy alone EVER, ever as in for more than 30 minutes at a time!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, Sammy has no chew habit. I have offerred kongs filled with peanut butter, boiled chicken, veggies...he will leave the kong to be with me or work. We did obedience training for months. He didn't care about the kong/treats but worked very hard to complete tricks. He loves to learn new things. I had to keep giving him directions and treats while waiting his turn during our classes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, Sammy has no chew habit. I have offerred kongs filled with peanut butter, boiled chicken, veggies...he will leave the kong to be with me or work. We did obedience training for months. He didn't care about the kong/treats but worked very hard to complete tricks. He loves to learn new things. I had to keep giving him directions and treats while waiting his turn during our classes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and... I hate to write this, but Sammy will not eat unless I am in the room. Most times, he wants me to hand fed him. which I refuse to do. But, he doesn't eat at all unless I'm sitting right next to him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts