Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Sam (14 week spoo) is doing well, he is learning the rules of the house and is calming down a bit, after a lot of effort on our part to teach him not to chew on us and everything else. I would like to ask everyone's opinions about two issues:
1. How do we help Sam to calm down when he sees other dogs or people nearby? He loves to play with other dogs, even overwhelms some who are shy with his rambunctiousness...and he loves people, especially kids, he wants to play with them too, or at least be petted. He does not hurt either, except for general puppy mouthiness. He is not aggressive, just very playful. He never growls at other dogs or people. But he is almost impossible to control when he sees either.
2. Ears and shots. At his vet's visit to get his bordatella shot, the vet noticed a bit of wax buildup in one ear and prescribed cleaning it with peroxide and gave us drops to put in it barring infection. I have also used alcohol. I am not seeing any real improvement, and at times notice an unpleasant smell. Could there be a larger problem such as ear mites, or is that due to the wax buildup? He does scratch at his ears. Which is better for cleaning ears, alcohol or peroxide? Sam will visit the vet again on the 29th for his last shots. Is that a reasonable time for them? He will be between 15 and 16 weeks. This is the time that this vet recommends for his rabies shot.
Thanks so much for your advice, you guys are the best!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Basically you don't have his attention so you will need to work on attention exercises at home and gradually work up to having his attention with distractions.

Have you tried using a prong collar on him? That will help.

This is what I used for basic ear cleaning: Epi Otic Advanced - Ear Cleanser for Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds It sounds, though, like he might be working on an ear infection. He may have food allergies. As far as shots go, I spread my Parvo/Distemper out 4 weeks apart usually: 8,12, 16 I NEVER give rabies in conjunction with any other vaccine because the rabies shot is such a hit to their immune system. I usually wait until the puppy is well over 6 months old to give rabies.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, cbrand, for your advice. Do you know of any resources for that attention-building work? We have been working on "watch me" but see little progress. And is the ear-cleaning liquid available in stores too?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The EARS sometimes flare up from teething and shots. Use acetic acid based cleaner (vinegar) to neutralize that ear. Wildness and bouncy, playfulness is in poodle genes. They will outgrow it but you gotta keep training as he grows.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I like the book Competition Obedience: A Balancing Act. I think every dog owner should have this book even if they never plan on showing in Obedience. There is a whole section on teaching attention.

Here is a link about teaching attention.

Attention

It has some good points. Personally I throw in a collar POP if I say the attention word and I don't get it immediately. But then..... I'm a carrot/stick sort of trainer.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
working on attention-

are you using the clicker with thim at all? If you do it will help you reward for the times he is giving the correct response..

make sure you work on the 'watch me' away from other distractions so it is very solid- and THEN go out where there is a distraction and work on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts