Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get comfy - sorry this is long LoL - Guess I talk to much ROFL
**dunno why the angry face got stuck up there??? I'm not angry LoL***

So I just have to brag on my baby!! We are taking her to a puppy class taught by another trainer in our area on Saturday mornings. Hubby HATES getting up early on Sat but he usualy gets over it by the time we get to class. Anyway the class has an off leash play time every week, which is really why we signed up. Saleen has thus far been a big weenie about playtime. She hasn't been allowed in the big dog yard to play with dog's her size, she has to stay with the little dogs and even then she was still a little afraid and wouldn't really interact with them. I don't know what happened today?? Walking in the door she was being a butt pulling on her leash and trying to get to and play with some of the other puppies who were comming in at the same time we were. John works with a lady who is bringing her doberman pup and for some reason these two wanting nothing to do with moms and dads and only wanted to play with eachother. We had to sit on the other side of the room to get Saleen's attention. When it came time for us to go out in the yards for playtime Saleen was trying to run and chase and wrestle with the little teeny dogs. The trainer moved her to the big dog yard since she is pretty much the tallest kid in school now lol. Oh my gosh.. her and the dobe puppy went tearing around the yard knocking people over, jumping, wrestling, getting all the other dog's involved. It was GREAT! Saleen then decided to show all the other puppies how to get into the swimming pools they had set up for the dogs and splash around. She had a blast! I almost cried, it was like my baby's little light bulb clicked on and she discovered playtime was FUN even if Jazz wasn't with her, and there weren't any other poodles to play with.

After puppy class we met some snowbird frinds and my mother for coffee at this outdoor shopping center, we call it the commons, where dogs are allowed. She was on her best behavior and of course got lots of attention from people passing by. After that we went and had lunch at one of the cafe's that had outdoor seating. Saleen discovered what cheese fries were and was happy about that. LoL. Other than occasionaly begging for a cheese fry she layed quietly next to my chair and watched the world go by. She got up with permission to say hello to a couple of people who wanted to pet her and then she layed right back down. She even stayed put when a lady with a crazy chihuahua type mix walked by and it barked at her lol. GOOD GIRL!!

After lunch we popped over to petsmart to buy dog food. Two weeks ago we took Saleen into the store and she was so skitzy that we had to take her back out and were unable to purchase what we needed. I figured though that it was more important to make sure she didn't have a bad experience than getting dog food that we really didn't have to have at that moment. Today though, there was no such fear. She was a little nervous around the aquariums but figured out that they were ok pretty quickly. She pranced her cute little self all over the store greeting people and showing off what she has already learned in training. Yay for good puppies!!! She even greeted the dreaded store manager, who is a lot nicer to me now that I don't work there lol, and was a happy, waggy, good good puppy for that. I bought her a toy for being so... She also got a pink gentle leader which she isn't as happy about as the toy, but well... she got over it pretty quickly.

I'm just so pleased with Saleen, my scaredy cat puppy who didn't like me seems to have done an about face. :peace: Whooooo!!!

Tomarrow we are planning a trip to the dog park and see if she feels like expanding her social horizans anymore. I've been working with her at the park on a long line so I can control the situation better. The first couple of trips she was a wimp and would run around crying but wouldn't come back to me if another dog was chasing her so I couldn't do much about it. That was solved with the long line and now I can give her loads of cookies when other dog's come by... seems to be paying off ?

Can't wait until next week, I'll try and take pictures of puppy class and all the super fun that happens!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yay for Saleen! All your hard work and patience is paying off. You must be having so much fun with her as she comes out of her shell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts