Poodle Forum banner

Safety of puppy kinder classes

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Skylar 
I would feel more comfortable at that age going to a member owned dog club, whether AKC or non-AKC because they require proof of vaccinations and people who go to these kinds of training facilities are more likely to take their dogs to the vet for good care. With places like petsmart and petco, the people coming for lessons are also probably on top of keeping their dogs up to date with vaccinations and health care. The problem are the random dogs which people bring to the store: probably most are vaccinated but you never know. If you do go I wouldn’t potty my dog near the store and I would carry your puppy into the store and only put them on the floor in the area fenced off for classes.

You can also ask your vet.

I will add there’s lots of new puppies at both my AKC and non-AKC club - members are taking their new puppies not only for puppy classes but they are taking their puppies to classes with their older dogs and asking the rest of us to hold and pet their puppies and letting the puppies sniff friendly older dogs for socialization.

Would I be correct in assuming that these same guidelines would apply to taking her to a groomer? I expect a grooming salon could be even less safe than a training class, since they don't check for vaccinations at all.
Most grooming salons do and keep record. I first took my dog to Petsmart for grooming because my neighbor raved about it. They not only kept records but remind you when your dog is due for a booster and to get it done and bring in evidence before the next grooming session. Probably not all places are as careful, but some are.

Reactions: Eric
Thanks, good advice. Actually I just had my other dog in a class at the local obedience training club. I would prefer to take my puppy there, but they only run one puppy class at a time, and it just started, too early for us to participate. That means I'll have to wait at least another 6-8 weeks for the next one. Probably that is what I'll do - I'll just train her the best I can on my own in the meantime.
If I were you, I would sign up for that puppy class at your local obedience club. Go without your dog and watch, get the hand outs and be prepared for when you get your puppy. The trainers will be happy to work with you to help you catch up.

Reactions: Eric and Newport
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.