1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this How to Find Non-Toxic Dog Toys and Tell If a Toy is Safe

I never even thought about this before!

Here's another link Popular Dog Chews That Are Actually Dangerous to Dogs

I disagree about the bones and Himalayan Yak Cheese Chews. Maybe they could be a problem with older dogs or dogs with poor teeth, but Sisko has never had a problem with chewing on both bones and Himalayan Yak Cheese Chews. I also disagree with them saying rawhide can be good for some dogs, but maybe it's true that some dogs have never had a problem with it, but I wouldn't give it to Sisko.

What do you PF Peeps think about these??

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it is highly dependent on the dog and the dog's personal method of consuming things. I do not give non-raw bones because I worry about teeth, but I know many dogs do fine with them. I'd prefer antler over beef bones though. I think yak chews are fine. Misha's not a big chewer so I have to stick to more easily edible things. He gets bully sticks, cow ears, dried trachea, esophagus, and tendons. He's not a swallower. But all of these items could be potentially dangerous to certain dogs. My favorite chews for Misha are probably the dried cow ears. They have a nice rate of destruction and aren't oily at all so they're super clean. But for some dogs they wouldn't last 5 minutes! They last Misha about a week. I think with a dog like Misha I'd be fine giving rawhide if it's completely natural rawhide. He would consume it slowly enough that it'd be fine. But I think most dogs consume it too quickly. You can get pork skin rawhide alternatives that are more digestible and are similar in consistency.

Bottom line, each dog is different. Don't let your dog have something if it seems unsafe for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts