Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noelle is sad. Instead of taking her somewhere fun, I took her to the vet. She is just getting her annual exam, so no worries. A nice lady came to the parking lot to take Noelle inside. Noelle didn’t want to go with her and freaked out. Dragging and scrambling to get back to me. Noelle refused to walk and wanted her mom! The vet tech picked Noelle up and carried her inside.

I feel bad. My poor dog is all scared. She doesn’t like the masks. She doesn’t like being away from me. She got a bath today. This whole day has gone all wrong for her. Poor dog. Any ideas how I can make it up to her?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noelle just wants to sleep. The rabies shot takes a lot out of her. But, the vet said she's super healthy and her teeth look good, so that made me happy. Maybe in a few hours I'll give her a special treat.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Awww ... so sad to hear Noelle had such a tough day at the vet. The curbside visit is tough on all of us. Rex and Dewey had their visit last week and they were really sad going in by themselves too. I’m sure by the time we got home they forgot the trauma but it made me feel good to give them special treats and we played outside for a long time. I’m sure you are glad to hear Noelle is so healthy though!

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
Poor Noelle. How can she do her job of watching you when you don't come in with her? :(

I'm actually enjoying the valet service. My vet's waiting room is normally a seething mass of chaos: people with reactive dogs trying to hide in the corners, clueless people letting dogs on retractable leashes wander around sniffing noses, and the staff just ignoring it all. Now I don't need to worry about getting taken down by an errant dachshund. I just wait in the comfort and safety of my own car until the vet is ready.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I would give Noelle a super treat and play her favorite games.. She will perk up. Asta.too needs a rest time after shots.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
I hope she cheers up quickly. Poppy is usually better once she is safely back in the car, which means it is all over for this visit. If she is very upset we have a cuddle and silly song till she has calmed down, followed by a silly game to wipe away bad memories. But you and Noelle are so attuned you will know exactly what is right for her, even while she is feeling a bit bleugh.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Aww poor Noelle...Renn went into the vet for his annual in the same manner, lol but he came o ut all happy and couldn't wait to get into the car. LOL He slept very well all afternoon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had my dogs to the vet for their annual physicals and bloodwork last week. No issues with either of them, even though the vet is not their favorite place. They went off fine with the tech who met us in the parking lot. However, both of mine are shown frequently and very used to being around many different people and situations. Since I think Covid is going to be with us for a bit, I suggest people get their dogs used to masks. At some point in the future, hopefully, we will be able to resume some trials. However, it is likely everyone will be wearing masks. One of the first things I did was put a mask on at home in the house for a little bit. The first time I did it when feeding when I knew they were focused on their bowls, and then again in my yard when I was training. Neither of my dogs had any reaction at all and could have cared less, but all dogs are different. If you will be taking your dogs to the vet, groomers, etc. they may have to be able to handle people wearing masks. Put a mask on at home where your dogs are comfortable with you. If it stresses your dog, use treats and desensitize as you would with any other training issue...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being a service dog, Noelle spends her entire life at my side. Even when free running in the yard, Noelle runs up, puts her paws on my lap, sniffs my breath, and then goes back to playing. Her reaction to a masked stranger taking her leash made sense. Noelle is fine with people wearing masks, but doesn't want someone taking her away from mom. And I'm cool with that. If she barked at everyone wearing a mask, or showed fear, that would be a reason to desensitize for sure. She was just sad.

We played ball today and Noelle loved it. She just had a long drink and is lying down in front of the fan. And she's smiling. So, I think I'm forgiven for making her sad.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Poor Noelle! I am sincerely hoping that I will not need to take any of our four to the vet any time soon. Actually, I am thinking of changing vets because the one nearby has a tech take your dog even for routine shots. I like to stay with my dog throughout the visit to provide reassurance. Years ago my vet and I were close friends and often traveled to dog shows together. Because of our relationship, I was even able to assist for surgeries.

There is a vet who does home visits. I'm thinking of having her come to do routine stuff. We are both members of the local kennel club.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Poor Noelle. STOLEN then poked and prodded by strangers - what if Mom NEEDED her? Luckily dogs are pretty forgiving.

I took Annie to her spay at a clinic she had never been before. The vet had me stand in the window with the window open so that we could chat during the pre spay exam. I watched her, pretty confused/nervous but enjoying the attention (apparently she gave the vet kisses in the hall), walk into the room. Then when I spoke to the vet through the window she instantly went. Oh, ok, my human is here. Pet me, veterinary humans, all is fine!!! It was kind of amazing to watch the body language change from friendly but nervous to friendly and confident. Maybe I should work on it, but I dont really want her happy to be stolen by strangers.

I think the standing in the window was a great compromise- the vet got to ask me questions, Annie was happier, I was happier. I wish more vets would use the idea in their own practices.

·
Premium Member
23,246 Posts
Steak!!! fixes many things. I hope she has calmed back down. We've been to the vet for a few things recently with all of the dogs. The only one who really didn't want to leave with the tech was Lily on the day of her dental. When she came out she dragged the girl through the parking lot looking at every person to find me. When she was close enough that I could call her name without screaming she was very happy!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Poor Noelle, that must have been so stressful for her and you. Do you think this will set up a fear of going to the vet in the future?

I took my elderly cat in when the shut down first occurred. She seemed to tolerate it. But I know Babykins is stressed going under normal circumstances so I hope I don’t have to take her in. She had her rabies vaccination just before shut down but she’s due for two other ones and I’m waiting till things have settled down.

I was surprised that Babykins isn’t affected by masks, either my mask or others. Maybe other dogs are?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts