Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering about SA. I brush and comb my 6 month old Standard Cash every day and a couple days ago I noticed a crusty area of skin near his foot. It didn't look like a scab from a cut, but a just a small, about 1 cm diameter of crust on that area.

I'm not one to rush off and take a dog to the vet for nothing, but I do tend to ponder on things for a while. I have been reading that SA usually sets in after 18 months. Is there any possible chance that this could be the beginning of it, even though he is only 6 months old? I truly hope that it is not, but since he is not from the best of breeders, I don't want to take any chances.

He tends to be a fairly itchy dog. He doesn't go crazy itching, but he will stop while we are working sometimes to get that itch on his rump or neck.

If this was your dog, what would you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Itching isn't a "symptom" of SA, but could indicate other things such as allergies or other skin infections. Watch for patchy fur and excessive dandruff.

I would monitor the area, and do checks all over the body, and if it remains or gets worse, take him into the vet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When a dog has SA, you KNOW it has SA. Hair will start coming off in tufts. There will be a smell :scared:. Once you smell an SA dog, you will never forget the smell. This isn't SA. Probably nothing and at the worst, ringworm....so keep an eye on it in case it is ringworm you want to get that sorted out chop chop!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts