Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So he had his next set of puppy shots today an d is really sore and whiney. He weighed in at 5.8 lbs. Does that seem a little small? He is projected to be 15" (he is a mini) so he will be on the bigger side of minis. I am thinking of increasing his food. I don't have anything to compare him to since my other mini was 1 when I got her. He was 4.8 lbs 3 weeks ago so he gained a little. Does he need to gain faster?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I don't have the answer to your question but here's the stats for Nickel, Ryker's littermate. Maybe this would help others to answer your questions.

Nickel came to us on May 4 weighing 5 lbs. He just had his 3rd set of shots two days ago and he weighed 8.7 lbs at the vet's clinic and measured 12 inches tall. I'm feeding him 1/2 cup of Taste of the Wild Wetland kibble plus Missing Link puppy supplement plus 1 teaspoon of pumpkin, twice a day. I use Zuke's mini treats and Natural Balance roll as training treats.

Oh, have you checked giardia? Nickel came in with giardia and didn't eat much before being treated. But once it's treated (after 2 rounds of treatments), his appetite really picked up and started to grow A LOT.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has a great appetite and I have not seen any signs of Giardia. He is very active and plays with our other dog a lot and runs around the yard . He is getting 3/4 cup of Orijen puppy and some small treats when we are training. I think I will just up the food and give more treats. I can't believe there is a 3 lb difference. He might just be the runt lol

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If he has a great appetite and stays very active, then there's no worries :) It sounds like he's fitting in well. Glad to know that Nickel's littermate is settling in a wonderful home. Looking forward to more pictures.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow... that's a big mini! Lincoln was 8lbs at around 8-9 months old, and now at 1.5 is 13lbs. But he's also pretty tall and leggy, and no fat. LOL

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm not sure how tall Darcy is, but he weighed in at 7.6 pounds at the vet's on Saturday. He seems to be a good weight for his height, not too skimpy and not too chunky. I will have to measure him and see how tall he is now! He is just over 14 weeks now.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Oh, I thought Nickel's growing too fast and worried that I am overfeeding or something (even though the vet said he's not fat and we can still easily feel his ribs). Good to know that there's a big Panda out there ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
You can feel Pandas ribs really easily too and when he is wet he is skinny under all that fluff but he just keeps getting taller rather than getting any fat on him lol. His legs are scrawny. I give him whatever he will eat as he doesn't eat much and is still ribby, I guess he will fill in with time He is steadily putting on 200-500g a week though so is obviously eating enough :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts