Poodle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well since anything over 15" us supposed to be a standard per the AKC I think this is where you get into the oversized miniature poodles are miniatures per their pedigree but standards per the size limits.

I think the OP is going to have the best luck finding a healthy dog in that size range by looking for a large miniature poodle. But that opens a whole nother can of worms since many BYB’s don’t know what a miniature poodle is and advertise their toys as mini’s.

ETA: Our small standard is about 20 inches and 32 lbs at 17 months old. She is very petite in general, and is not a "good" standard.
What do you m
Well since anything over 15" us supposed to be a standard per the AKC I think this is where you get into the oversized miniature poodles are miniatures per their pedigree but standards per the size limits.

I think the OP is going to have the best luck finding a healthy dog in that size range by looking for a large miniature poodle. But that opens a whole nother can of worms since many BYB’s don’t know what a miniature poodle is and advertise their toys as mini’s.

ETA: Our small standard is about 20 inches and 32 lbs at 17 months old. She is very petite in general, and is not a "good" standard.
Might I ask what you mean by not a “good” standard? We are looking into an 18month old who is small at 33 lbs and quite shorter than our other two poodles are 45 and 55 lbs.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
What do you m

Might I ask what you mean by not a “good” standard? We are looking into an 18month old who is small at 33 lbs and quite shorter than our other two poodles are 45 and 55 lbs.
This is a very old thread and you're unlikely to get a response. I recommend starting a new thread to introduce yourself and ask any questions you might have. This is such a knowledgable forum. I'm sure you'll be able to get whatever information you're looking for. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What do you m

Hi and Welcome!

I'm afraid that you've landed in a 7 year dormant thread. These members haven't posted in years.

May I suggest that you copy the portion you're addressing and start a new thread in your own name? You're request for information will be better seen there.
This same area "Poodle Talk" or "Member Introductions" would be good choices.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a "runt" of a toy litter. Everyone had assumptions bc she was so small. I fell in love the moment I saw her. She was the absolute best dog I've ever owned! I think people tend to associate a "runt" with weakness or inability to thrive and I've never had an issue. She lived a very heathy and full life. I like the "runts" the best because sometimes I feel like they're so much more loving and cuddly!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What do you m

The poster who resurrected this 7 year old thread to ask a question of a no longer active member has not reposted, but to try to answer their question "Might I ask what you mean...", I think the person being queried was not referring to the size of their dog at all in relation to being a "good" standard. Their spoo was a rescue of sorts so they had no health or pedigree background on the pup, That's my guess on what they were referring to. This is what I've gathered by reading thru the whole thread and by looking at the posting history of the person being queried (Pluto).

My only concern would be in relation to this statement from the post resurrecter "...and quite shorter than our other two poodles...". If the spoo they are considering is proportionally smaller overall, that's like to just be a smaller standard. If the spoo is shorter because the legs are disproportionally short, that's a genetic issue and would need to be looked into. There are two ways a genetic short leg issue can go.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts