Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here go running???

I'm not a runner. What is the point??? lol. Paris loves running though.

For some totally unknown reason though, on the 1st of December, I started the "Couch to 5km" program, where they reckon they can get anyone from being a couch potato, to running a full 5km (OR 30 mins) without a break. Reading their forums on there, it's amazing the number of people much older, heavier, and less fit than me that have gotten out there and have completed it, so here I was, sitting at the computer and just decided I'd do it too.

I don't know WHY, I'm definitely not someone who enjoyed running. But it's something I can do with no money, with my dog, whenever I feel like going out and doing it. So I am.

The first day of the program on Dec 1st nearly killed me, I am sooooooooooo not fit! 8 separate bursts of 60-second running was just WAY more than my jiggling body could cope with! Paris thought I was nuts.

Yesterday, I completed my first run of 5 mins straight! Paris thinks it's great!

In theory, next week I might be tackling my first 20 min run!

Dare I say it, I'm now enjoying running.... heh.

Boxing day tomorrow, and I tackle those 5 min runs again. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
FD, I wish I would have known you were doing this.....I would have joined you in your efforts (from mile away of course). I have always wanted to do a 5K run. I too am WAY out of shape, but send me the info if you can maybe via PM.

At any rate....I am rooting for you GOOOOOO FD you can do it!!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I want to start running not to lose weight, but to put more on! It's hard to be a groomer when half the dogs are stronger than you! I just can't modivate myself to do it.. I'm really hoping that I'll run when I get my poodle, like I keep telling myself I'll do. (it's part of my new years resolution)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alicia, just check out www.c25k.com for all the info. I've just tackled the 3rd day of week 4, but I'll be repeating it all next week cos there's no way I've conquered it yet! I was actually expecting to have to repeat a lot more weeks up until now, but have managed to get through the first 3 totally fine! Looking on the c25k forums, many many people have a lot of trouble with week 4 and have to repeat too.

Give it a go, I find it's soooooo much easier when you have a schedule to follow. 5km is *daunting*, but heck, I can tackle some lil 60 second runs. Yes they nearly killed me, but I DID them! And I can run for 5 mins now! hehe. I can't wait to get through my second round of week 4 next week and start tackling longer runs!

haha yeah fluffy, some of the dogs are mighty strong! I've always been a big girl though, and while I'm not an overly active person, I've never had a sedentary job or anything either.
Yes I'm overweight, but to be honest I'm not concerned about the weight. I'd like to loose some inches, sure, but I really just want to be fitter and healthier all around. Weight loss from that would be a bonus. lol!!

And yes, a poodle is good motivation! They certainly love doing it!!! But if you get a pup then it's not a good idea for it to be pounding the pavement with you until it's older anyway, so maybe you need to start into running now and do it for yourself!!! ;)

FD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah, the running thing will come later with the poodle. The boyfriend and I want to rescue a corgi, and THAT dog will need some running lol. Can you run earlier with shorter dogs like corgis? (not for like.. 10 miles.. like around the block a couple times)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it'd be fine for the lil guys, they need exercise as much as the big ones! A nice fit corgi would be awesome. lol!!!
The first few weeks the longest spurt of running is 3 mins, with walking inbetween, I'm just on week 4 now and doing the 5 min runs is HARD, so hence I'm doing it again next week! lol! But it's a gradual build up of exercise, so I think it'd actually be good for the dogs too, cos it'll build THEM up to pounding the pavement too.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flyingduster:
I just want to say, "Way to go!"
I think that it is awesome, what you are doing.
I may try it myself.
I currently use our elliptcal 30 minutes 3x a week, I may have to step it up.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should also point out that even for the people that are already fit, it's recommended they follow a slow build up like the c25k program too, cos just because you might be ABLE to run the time/distance, your joints and body certainly aren't used to pounding the pavement/tredmill; and we all know running is a high impact sport! Building it up gradually like the program does is great.

There are some on the forums who use an elliptical with the program too taxtell, for the low impact aspect!

And I'll also say that reading the c25k forums has helped cos I found out about 'chi running' before I'd even started, and so far I've not had a single problem with sore joints or anything (which I have gotten simply by pounding out the miles walking before). Chi running is simply being aware of your posture, and having a good posture while running so the whole running thing doesn't pound your joints.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't run and doubt that I will try though I do want to get really serious about working out again after baby is born. Not that I was working out or in good shape when I got prego but I was several years ago really enjoying it and feeling great.

Im impressed that you're doing this though. Awesome :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, here I am tackling 'week 4' all over again, and if my darn shoe lace had have stayed tied up then I might have made it.... Maybe I wouldn't have anyway, but if I tell myself that I COULD have, then I know I can do it next time, right?

I'm running on the beach now! I was running at some local football fields, simply cos they were tucked out of the way where few people could see me jiggling my way around the grass, panting and puffing with a white poodle looking at me like I'm nuts. heh. But now my running spurts are getting longer, I mean 60 seconds around a side or two of a football field was fine, but 5 mins of it is dead boring, so we have progressed to trying out the beach....

Remembering it's summer here too, so it's warm sunny mornings (I run at 6am, I get up when hubby leaves for work) running along the packed sand at the beach with waves crashing beside us.... I'm starting to rather enjoy this whole thing! The only problem is the OTHER dogs at the beach.... Paris is good, but another dog rushing up to us to play with her is difficult for her to not want to go and play with, and running with that going on around my legs proves to be hard work! I keep Paris on a lead so she has no option once we're beyond the crowding dog to simply leave it behind, but ugh is it ever a pain in the ass until we're past it, and it happened a few times this morning!!!

I am thinking I'll get up WHEN hubby leaves for work, rather than 6am, and that 15 mins earlier might be enough that there'll be fewer people running their pets on the beach. There was another runner with his dog, but his dog was as good as Paris, and knew to stick with it's running owner so it wasn't worth much more than a look from Paris!

Onward and upward; it's a rest day tomorrow, and back into it on thurs!

FD

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Thats wonderful!!! Awesome for you!! I actually tried that this summer. I just wasnt into it, and i hate running. I am Not a morning person, and i too had to get up at 6am to run. We dont have nice beaches here, so i had to run around our boring "neighborhood" (up and down just 1 street). Riley doesnt like running with me either, so it was just me.
Once im done with school this spring i am going to go to the gym. I used to go and it helped alot (i used to be really fit when i worked for years at a horse farm!!!). I have Zero time right now though (work at 7:30 and then straight to school every night till 10 at least). Sigh.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not really a morning person either, but I'm usually buggered by the evenings, or busy, or make excuses etc etc etc. Hubby starts work at 6am though, so he gets up early, I usually don't get up until I HAVE to in the mornings, and then I'll often push it another 5 mins. :p

So for my runs, I set my cellphone alarm for 6am, and leave the phone sitting at the other side of the room when I go to bed; it's an irritating alarm that wakes all the animals too (the cats go racing up to my phone when it goes off "looook, LOOOK! It's making NOOIIISSESS! MUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM; LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKK!") and I HAVE to get out of bed to be able to turn it off cos I leave it on the other side of the room. By the time I turn off the alarm, I'm out of bed, so I simply throw on running clothes, tie up my hair, grab my key, mp3 player and Paris, and we leave the house. I'm at the beach within 15 mins of me stumbling out of bed to turn of the alarm; I haven't had TIME to make excuses!!

If I lay in bed thinking about getting out, getting dressed, getting sorted, and going for a run; I'd never do it. I'd roll over and sleep for an extra half hour! This method gives me no option, cos I refuse to let myself make excuses. The odd time I have seriously wanted to go back to bed, I have simply stood up tall and told myself that I WILL go out, and I will do the 5 min warm-up walk cos that's easy and fine, if by then I still really don't want to run, then I will allow myself to turn around and come home again. Of course, by the time I've gone to the trouble of getting that far, I go for a run anyway. :p

It's all mind games, and I know my mind well, and how to trick it ;)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
ugh, I HATE running on the beach, I Have done that once lol. It only took once time and I never attempted it again. I dunno how the beaches where you live are but we have really lose deep sugar sand and even walking is difficult at times lol. When John and I were dating I lost like 10 pounds the first month because all of our dates ended at the beach and we would just hold hands and walk for what seemed like forever... or as long as it took to finish our frozen drinks and be compelled to return to the beachside bar for another or find a quite place to sit and... well nevermind LoL. Anyway the point is that beach sand can do wonders for your legs and butt and abs just walking on it a couple times a week (even if you're drinking lol). I can imagine just how awsome it would be for you to jog in it. I was SO SORE after the one time I did it, it was unreal LoL.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't run on the soft stuff, I keep an eye on the tides, and run on the packed hard sand, I barely leave footprints so it's easy! lol. The soft stuff furthur up is a b*tch to walk in though, I don't even want to imagine running in it!!!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OMG, the horse place i used to work at is actually a theraputic riding facility. We had sand arenas that we would ride students in for an hour. For years a walked/jogged (when the horses trotted) for hours a day in sand for multiple classes (on top of the cleaning of the place and caring for the horses)! Loose sandbox type sand. My legs were amazing! I hate sand!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I DID IT! lol. I completed an entire day, to the book, of "week 4"! :D

The c25k program is designed to have three days of running a week. Each day of 'week 4' is the same (3 min/5 min/3 min/5 min runs, with 90 second and 2 min walks in-between) but I so far haven't managed to do the entire 3/5/3/5 combo for various reasons, and so I have re-done the whole of 'week 4' again this week. Today was the second [running] day of the [second attempt at] week 4, and I DID it! I'm so pleased I managed to tackle all that running! lol.

I didn't run on the beach this morning, cos the tide was in too far for me to be able to easily run on the hard sand without risk of the odd wave getting us, so instead we ran along the track and sports fields above the beach, which included a small sandy dune that I actually managed to RUN up during the last couple of mins of the final run! I used to have trouble *walking* up that soft sandy dune, I can't believe I ran up it! lol. I figured I'd end up stopping half way up, but I decided I'd keep running up it as far as I could, and it turns out it was pretty easy, I kept my pace the same but just took stupidly tiny steps, and just kept jogging up and carried on jogging past it! I had a wee happy dance with Paris at the end of the last run today, I was just so happy to have done it all (and with the energy to still do a happy dance! lol)

It's hard to believe I can run, easily, for 5 mins straight (albeit very sloooowly!) cos I'm still thinking of how on the 1st of the month I was huffing and puffing at 60 second runs.

I will do another 'week 4' run on saturday morning before me and Paris go on a wee road trip for a couple of hours to visit some family for the day (hubby is working and wants to stay home anyway), and that'll be my 'week 4' completed, and then on to week 5 of the program next week (and back to work next week too).

The scary thing is that the third running day of 'week 5' involves a run of 20 mins straight.....! We shall see if in another 9 days I can do it!

Loving it.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That's awesome! Keep up the good work FD. I was walking everyday and even jogging some until the flu came along an kicked my butt. I need to get back into the swing of things. You're absolutely right about the mind games.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just realised, the other thing about this whole thing is that I'm consistently exercising a fair bit, three times a week, for nearly 5 weeks straight now, without a problem. Now, I've always been one to go out for a walk, but generally only if I felt like it or found the time or whatever. Me and hubby do walk a bit in our pursuits for the next photo, but I haven't really done this sort of consistent and progressive exercise in.... ever. lol!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts