Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia gets a shank bone for a snack several times a week, served still frozen and outdoors during the summer. I've noticed that sometimes, instead of digging in right away, she rubs her nose against the ground first. She makes small lines leading toward the bone. At first I though perhaps she had the equivalent of brain freeze, but that didn't quite seem to explain it as she will do it regardless of how frozen the bone is. Today I tossed the bone poorly and it ended up near some dead leaves. Per usual she intently rubbed her nose against the ground, but because of the loose debris, she managed to cover the bone with a mound of leaves. Job done, she's now dosing on the porch and will consume the marrow later.

Does anyone have any insight into what she's doing or why? Maybe it's to prevent the food from spoiling by keeping flies from laying eggs?

·
Registered
322 Posts
She’s trying to bury it for later, probably. My terrier does this all the time, especially when she’s not ready to eat it yet. And Fluffy did it to his kibble when he was younger. We had to remove the blankets from his kennel while he ate in it. Dogs are weird.;)

·
Super Moderator
4,319 Posts
Aw! Yep, burying. :)

I've seen dogs do it when they're not hungry, and also when they're anxious about the value of the item. I stopped giving Gracie bones, because they caused her so much anxiety. She'd get up in the night to "re-bury" them (i.e. bring them to bed and nudge the blankets over them.) She also did it once with her kibble when we tried feeding her in the car at a concert. There was just too much excitement going on outside. So she gave the floor mat some good nose swipes. Lol.

It's possible Mia doesn't need quite as much food as she's getting older.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Five hours later she has returned for the buried treasure. Of course it required a good shaking to remove some (hardly any) of the dirt. As long as she's happy...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really didn't click for me until today when there was enough debris to cover the bone. Even then all I thought about was the cartoon dog digging with her paws (and Mia's certainly not against digging holes) and thought, nah.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts