Poodle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
And a coffee cup poodle is even smaller than a teacup.
That would be a demitasse Poodle.

You guys crack me up.

Reactions: mimi4neeyah

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run a small rescue and we have been requested to help 4 "King" poodles in China which were purchased off a meat truck. They would have been horribly butchered otherwise. Obviously we want to post them in a valid way and assure that they are placed in the environment they need. So my understanding is that they are actually Large Standards? Should they be listed as mixes although they are purebred poodles? They are truly beautiful and sweet yet we had not been familiar with this breed before and everything I research is sketchy. Any assistance to assure they are placed correctly would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
The chances of you rescuing actual, purebred Poodles from a meat truck are so slim that I would call it impossible. You are almost guaranteed to have Poodle mixes... maybe even street dogs.
Rescue from Northern Ontario, or anywhere local.
Don't be bringing in mongrels from China.
In North America, there is no such thing as a King Poodle.

Also, this OP is from 2011...

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
If you are keen to describe them correctly, I would think "large poodle mix" would be the most accurate way. That does not potentially misrepresent them as pure-bred standard poodles, but allows for any degree of poodliness. Grooming them with a basic poodle trim would show how close they are to poodles in type.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Doesn't it, in unofficial terms, refer to Standards bigger than the AKC acceptable size, or no?
There is no "acceptable size". Most standard poodles range between 22 and 27 inches at the shoulder. Males are usually taller than females. That said, a poodle qualifies as a standard if over 15 inches. Poodles between 15 and 18 inches are almost always oversize miniatures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no "acceptable size". Most standard poodles range between 22 and 27 inches at the shoulder. Males are usually taller than females. That said, a poodle qualifies as a standard if over 15 inches. Poodles between 15 and 18 inches are almost always oversize miniatures.
Thank you for your assistance.
If you are keen to describe them correctly, I would think "large poodle mix" would be the most accurate way. That does not potentially misrepresent them as pure-bred standard poodles, but allows for any degree of poodliness. Grooming them with a basic poodle trim would show how close they are to poodles in type.
We are only placing them as pets and they are altered so there is no breeding involved, yet we definitely want to describe them correctly and this is not our breed. Thank you very much for this suggestion and will be the way they are posted for adoption to assure that no one misunderstands what they are. A good groomer can do the basic poodle trim and the adopter should be well pleased with their Large Poodle Mix. Have a great day!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I run a small rescue and we have been requested to help 4 "King" poodles in China which were purchased off a meat truck. They would have been horribly butchered otherwise. Obviously we want to post them in a valid way and assure that they are placed in the environment they need. So my understanding is that they are actually Large Standards? Should they be listed as mixes although they are purebred poodles? They are truly beautiful and sweet yet we had not been familiar with this breed before and everything I research is sketchy. Any assistance to assure they are placed correctly would be most appreciated.
Uuughhh, the myth of "meat dogs" needing to be rescued from China....no one is breeding poodles for meat dogs, this is retail rescue. Just like all those purebred Goldens that magically happened to be running as strays in Turkey.....Makes great conversation for cocktail parties "oh my dog was rescued from China" as if a dog rescued from China is so much more special. There are many, many Standards (or other poodle varieties) here that are posted in rescue groups weekly for adoption, are they less special than dogs from China? No need to bring them in from overseas. Or the various diseases that dogs brought in could be bringing in (and have) to dogs here.....

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I almost despise rescues. They will do almost anything to get their hands on dogs.
I remember that 'Turkish Street Poodle' woman well. I haven't heard from her since she and I 'talked' in the CBC forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uuughhh, the myth of "meat dogs" needing to be rescued from China....no one is breeding poodles for meat dogs, this is retail rescue. Just like all those purebred Goldens that magically happened to be running as strays in Turkey.....Makes great conversation for cocktail parties "oh my dog was rescued from China" as if a dog rescued from China is so much more special. There are many, many Standards (or other poodle varieties) here that are posted in rescue groups weekly for adoption, are they less special than dogs from China? No need to bring them in from overseas. Or the various diseases that dogs brought in could be bringing in (and have) to dogs here.....
No one said they were being bred to be slaughtered. If you were to go there and see for yourself what is happening you might have a different take on it. Thank you for your response to one who has been saving dogs locally and now from China for over 20 years. Personally I have no time for cocktail parties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I almost despise rescues. They will do almost anything to get their hands on dogs.
I remember that 'Turkish Street Poodle' woman well. I haven't heard from her since she and I 'talked' in the CBC forum.
Yes, I just helped a lady in hospice whose dying wish is that her dog be cared for. She had been so ill that he had not had shots, or any care for two years so the expenditure is far more than any minimal donation that will be given when he is adopted after he is groomed, gets all necessary shots, sonogram and Xrays, bloodwork, and next week a neuter, micro-chip and dental. We have put him on medication to help his grieving for his master and if his owner is able we will see that she gets to see him in hospice before her last moments. He will not be adopted elsewhere until she passes and she will know that our rescue has committed to his full lifetime. Strangely enough this has always been a calling for me to assure that not only the dogs but the people who need our help are given comfort and compassion. So sorry that you almost despise rescue yet I support your right to believe as you will. Thank you for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
Fostering rescue dog Charlie was a true blessing. Not only did she help me move forward in my grief over losing my beloved senior, she blossomed in our house in a way she couldn't have in a shelter environment.

Connecting Charlie to her forever home was a true honour, and I'm grateful to the selfless folks who got her out of a cage and into my care.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I used to meet a man and his Standard at our local park. Our two Poodles were identical. Then I didn't see him for some time, a month or so.
When I caught up to him, he told me that he'd just got out of the hospital from a breakdown.
But in the meantime, his girlfriend had taken the dog to a rescue that I had had dealings with and disagreed stupendously with the owner and her flaky ideas on raising dogs.
They had the dog rehomed in the blink of an eye.
Of course! A REAL Poodle... not geriatric... not medically disadvantaged... just a $2,000 dog given away for free.

And a heartbroken ex owner...

·
Registered
382 Posts
No one said they were being bred to be slaughtered. If you were to go there and see for yourself what is happening you might have a different take on it. Thank you for your response to one who has been saving dogs locally and now from China for over 20 years. Personally I have no time for cocktail parties.
No parties maybe, but the cachet of saving all those poor foreign dogs that would go to slaughter if they weren't brought back here from China that just happen to be purebred Standard Poodles.....what's wrong with saving all the dogs here?

To put a backspin on rescue...I've been told by rescue rah rahs that my having purchased my purebred dogs from a responsible breeder was irresponsible of me and made me a horrible person who really doesn't care about dogs because my purchasing my dogs condemned a shelter dog to death since I bought instead of rescued.... So why the need to go to China for dogs when I am absolutely sure dogs here might lose out on a home to a dog from China because they come with a better sob story appeal to people...Are they less deserving?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts