Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the Royal Canin Hepatic canned food is unavailable in the UK at present. For the last 18 months I have kept at least a month's worth in stock, but as there had been no issues in all that time ran it down a bit, and now of course wish I hadn't! My vet is hunting stock or alternatives for me, but if anyone knows anything about what is going on do let me know! Push comes to shove I will use the recipe I worked out for her back when it all started, but she has been doing so well I don't want to change anything if I can avoid it.

• Wow
Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
I don't know what's going on either, but I've noticed Chewy is periodically unable to fill my order for the Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein kibble that Galen's vet wants him eating. Last month I needed to substitute two small bags of kibble and a bag of the hydrolyzed formulation for small dogs instead of the large bag we have on auto ship. Fortunately his innards seem to be behaving themselves right now, so I'm able to stretch his dinners with small quantities of the puppy kibble Ritter eats. Still, it's a worrisome situation.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Unfortunately there are shortages on a lot of things, I have a full bag in my cupboard of prescription food for the cat and the dog when I order the next. On the megacolon cat group I belong to there has been shortages of that food, it takes me 9 weeks to go through a 8.8 pound bag.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I had to switch puppy Theo to an all stages food for a month. The FreshPet puppy food he ate was out of stock everywhere, on line and at the stores. They were building a new factory - I presume that was the problem. However there may be problems securing ingredients at industrial volume and prices for all the manufacturers.

I'm sorry it's the prescription food which is not easy to sub out for something else. Can you vet give you a recipe to use?

·
Super Moderator
11,729 Posts
Oh no! Looks like this is a widespread issue. :( Not sure how much help they can actually offer, but might be worth contacting them:

To better serve you while our team works to resolve the supply challenges, we have expanded our customer care service operations. If you need an alternative diet recommendation or help locating a product, please contact our Nutritional Advisors at 800-592-6687 or via Live Chat.

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been in touch and was assured they are shipping as much as usual and it is down to high demand due to Covid puppies! So there is an epidemic of liver failure amongst all these newly acquired pups... I suspect that what is really happening is that people have seen things going out of stock and are double ordering, which is what I was doing up to a few months ago when I decided my animal food stockpile was getting silly. I really just need them to tell me when it will be available so I know whether to use my last half dozen cans to transition her onto the dry with added chicken stock, but at the moment all I am getting is not-our-fault platitudes.

• Sad
Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I have been in touch and was assured they are shipping as much as usual and it is down to high demand due to Covid puppies! So there is an epidemic of liver failure amongst all these newly acquired pups... I suspect that what is really happening is that people have seen things going out of stock and are double ordering, which is what I was doing up to a few months ago when I decided my animal food stockpile was getting silly. I really just need them to tell me when it will be available so I know whether to use my last half dozen cans to transition her onto the dry with added chicken stock, but at the moment all I am getting is not-our-fault platitudes.
I think you are right. Silly to think all these puppies have lived failure.

·
Premium Member
5,407 Posts
Petfoodindustry.com writes in a blog that these periodic shortages can be possible for another year, for all the reasons we're now familiar with.
Global shipping, supply disruptions affecting pet food |PetfoodIndustry.com

Pet food, pet owners are resilient
“Just as the health crisis has proved stubborn and unpredictable, the turmoil in international commerce has gone on longer than many expected because shortages and delays in some products have made it impossible to make others,” wrote Goodman and Bradsher.

Fortunately, pet food is not as dependent on other products, though it does often compete with the human food supply chain for some of the same ingredients and materials. Even with ingredients used mainly or only in pet food, like some meat or poultry meals, many companies have been able to find replacements to plug shortages—notwithstanding the mad scramble that can spur in terms of reformulating products and relabeling packages. And while producers’ and suppliers’ costs are definitely higher than pre-pandemic, most pet-owning consumers seem willing and able, so far, to absorb higher prices, judging by continuing pet food sales growth.

Bottom line: The waters ahead for pet food certainly don’t offer smooth sailing, perhaps not for another year or so. But, like the consumers who continue to buy more of its offerings, the industry remains remarkably resilient.

FWIW, I did find this chart provided by Purina which gives some alternatives for specialty diets, naturally to be discussed with your vet.

Font Line Screenshot Material property Software

76828_Nestle_VET4098F_544 (mullerveterinaryhospital.com)

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks RnP, that is useful. I think I may get a bag of the RC dry hepatic, as the nearest formulation. The canned foods seem to be the most affected at the moment.

eta:
I have ordered a couple of the small bags of dry hepatic as a back stop. After placing the order and paying for postage I thought of Poppy’s Denamarin - I have around 6 weeks in hand but it is pretty essential. When I checked that was out of stock in places, so I ordered a couple of boxes of that too. So now I am contributing to the shortages, no doubt!

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good observation - coming from Italy, so would be clobbered with custom charges too, if and when it eventually arrived! Latest response from RC:
"Unfortunately, we would be unable to comment on when stockists would receive new stock of this item, I understand this will be frustrating, however, I can assure you that we are working as fast as possible to get supply back in stock, we do hope to have stock soon.

Thank you for your understanding and patience."

ie: We may be the manufacturer and supplier, but we don't know when or where there will any available again.

The "we would be unable to comment on" is a particularly interesting bit of circuitous tautology, I think!

A second trawl through all the online sites turned up a couple that will notify when it comes back into stock, so at least I will get a heads up when it does.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Even Science diet has had trouble keeping their prescription diets available. That being said the shelves in Walmart have been quite bear since around March of 2021 and now quite noticeable.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
It’s the same for Beckie’s food. I make sure to start calling vet clinics around at least 4 weeks before she finishes the bag.

I hope you can find some somewhere. Sometimes the smaller vet clinics have one or two bags, as they don’t sell them as much.

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pets at Home have it again, listed as in stock for delivery. I have ordered 2 cases, which will see us through three months - now to see whether they really have it or it is just a mistake in the listing...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts