Poodle Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about that directory one, but the dogfoodadvisor site is of limited value. It grades foods based on on the labels, and that is not the full story on any food.
I would advise against using Blue Buffalo, they have had quite a few recalls. We see quite a few dogs that are not able to tolerate it- mine were the same (dogs and cats). My one dog who could eat literally anything, had terrible gas and bad smelling stool.
I've not used the Poodle-specific one, but have always been happy with the Royal Canin in general. They have done a lot of research into their foods.
If you want/need to keep up with home cooked food, check out resources like Hilary's Blend. They sell multivitamin supplements but also have free recipes on their site.
You should consider food geared to puppies or all life stages while she is pregnant and nursing.
I dont know if they have that here in ireland! but i knew someone who worked in the factory of royal canin and said that it was processed the exact same way as pedigree chum as they were both made in the same factories, i know here in ireland our food labels have to be acurate or will be heavily prosucted but it could be different in other countries as long as people dogs are fine with it i dont see a problem but ive had great results with that site in finding the best food especially for fussy sensitve eaters! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding dog food recommendations, I tend to be somewhat dubious of what I snarkily call the "paleo for dogs" trend. Dogs are not wolves, nor are they humans. They have been scavenging the remains of human meals, including bread and grains, for thousands of years. Dogs don't need grain free diets. Dogs don't need gluten free diets.
personally i think it all depends on the dog, my whippet could eat any kind of food/dog food i give her and would be fine, my lurcher has a sensitve tummy so had to go through a lot of brands that suited him and previously my welshie was tested for allergies due to skin issues and did have a grain allergy and that did come up on a test that was done at the vets. Now with my poodle I just want to make sure shes on the right diet for the best health and coat I can get!
(also sorry for going off topic from what the original thread was :LOL:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
personally i think it all depends on the dog, my whippet could eat any kind of food/dog food i give her and would be fine, my lurcher has a sensitve tummy so had to go through a lot of brands that suited him and previously my welshie was tested for allergies due to skin issues and did have a grain allergy and that did come up on a test that was done at the vets. Now with my poodle I just want to make sure shes on the right diet for the best health and coat I can get!
(also sorry for going off topic from what the original thread was :LOL:)
I have studied this website religiously. I think I know it off by heart :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dog Food Advisor, I think, is the place to start. It can guide you to a better food for your pet. After all, the label is really all any of us have to go on. I send people there because so many foods are better than Pedigree and Ol' Roy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone feed this stuff? I'm trying to get the girls back onto dog food they were previously eating cesar wet and dried food mixed together but they've seem to just stop eating it all together. So I've just been making them chicken and rice but it is not ideal especially if i ever have to leave them with someone. I have heard good things about Royal Canin but I never knew they made breed specific foods. any reviews??

View attachment 481423
This is all I’ve every fed my girl since I brought her home. I think she likes the little pieces and the taste. I’ve tried to use other small bite stuff but she’s refused to eat the other stuff. And as a bonus, her poos doesn’t stick. I’ve tried Hills & those produced stinky poos. 😂

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
490 Posts
My dogs breeder feeds Royal Canin Puppy (and Pro plan) and sent us home with a bag. I switched him to Primal raw mixed with Nature’s Logic Rabbit because that’s what my older dog eats and I have “no kids” income lol. I trust the hek out of my breeder though so if she says Royal Canin is alright and works for her puppies than I believe her. Also I do really like the tiny pieces in the Royal canin puppy, neither one of my dogs will crunch kibble (they swallow it while for the most part) so small pieces are important.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts