Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We are currently on vacation in hawaii and left milo with a good friend. He has stayed with them for a day but never this long. It’s another week before we pick him up. First few days, he was great. Then he peed in their bedroom which is shocking since i dont remember the last time he peed in the house. But he then got comfy, they have another dog (age 7) that hates him at first but now getting along. He wont eat his kibble though i have been feeding him kibble for a month prior to us leaving to get him used to eating kibble everyday. So my friend have been cooking for him, i am not concerned, i just want him comfy. Its been rice,ground meat and veggies. I know,i know, not super balanced but again i am not too concerned since its not in the long run.

So today she told me he hasn’t pooped in 2 days. I told her to give him some pumpkin and that should be ok. She said he seems a bit depressed and probably missing me a whole lot. I have one of my shirts with him. He plays but not terribly sociable at the moment which is off for him since he is a confident dog.

I guess i cant do much, but if anyone got any tips, i,d appreciate it. As much as i am enjoying hawaii, i miss him terribly and if it wasn’t for quarantine, i would have brought him with us.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Aloha, asuk! I know what a painful separation this is for you and Milo. My tip is to have your friend exercise your boy as much as possible, both physically and mentally. She sounds like she's doing an amazing job of caring for him and keeping you informed.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I’m sure he’ll be fine. I suspect the constipation is due to a change of diet, and especially rice, which can constipate.

Ideally she should have stuck with the diet he was on. Now that he’s had cooked food, he might not want to eat gis kibble. I would skip the rice and add pumpkin as you suggested.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
This is the hardest part of traveling! I would have your friend cut down a bit on the rice since it does generally bind up the bowel. Pumpkin is always good for balancing things. She could also try giving him a bit of pasta since it will help get some calories in him.

He will be super happy to see you when you get back and a couple of weeks of pilly eating isn't going to hurt him in the long run.

Hawaii is wonderful! I was there for well over two weeks way back in 2001. I would love to go back, especially to the big island. Kilauea was pretty quiet back then.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Aww poor boy, well not really sounds like your friend is trying to keep him happy. Maybe some walks and mental play. I think I would try and feed him his kibble maybe with some of the lean beef mixed in and cut out the rice. When my dogs have the funds I give them the boiled ground meat n rice. He probably just misses his home and will soon perk back up. Enjoy your vacation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Aw that’s too bad he’s missing you and you’re of course missing him. Sounds like everyone has good advice. The best thing is he will be so happy to see you!
I hope you enjoy your last week!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arrived back to Canada today and I thought Milo had forgotten me. Well, he didn’t, so much excitement when he saw us and the kids at the door, though he mostly lost his mind when he saw me..lol. No barking, just it seems his whole body was wagging from excitement. My friend was spectacular with him, I am thankful.

Hawaii was awesome, but I am glad to be reunited with milo.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
You were so very lucky to have a good friend to care for Milo while you were gone. It sure is nice to come home to them, isn't it. Our puppets really love us and show it every time they see us. Glad you had a good trip.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Welcome home! I am not surprised that you got a great greeting from Milo.

Reactions: asuk

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is the hardest part of traveling! I would have your friend cut down a bit on the rice since it does generally bind up the bowel. Pumpkin is always good for balancing things. She could also try giving him a bit of pasta since it will help get some calories in him.

He will be super happy to see you when you get back and a couple of weeks of pilly eating isn't going to hurt him in the long run.

Hawaii is wonderful! I was there for well over two weeks way back in 2001. I would love to go back, especially to the big island. Kilauea was pretty quiet back then.
Pumpkin is my go-to. Feeling for Asuk, missing our standard poodle Charlie. Our son and daughter in law were severely injured in a road accident in Thailand and we had to cut our camping trip in Arizona short, drive to Revelstoke to leave our dog with our daughter and drive to Calgary to pick the kids up at the airport. Non stop driving for medical appointments, meal cooking, housekeeping here.We could not bring Charlie the Poodle because this is a no pets apartment. Hard to sneak an 80 pound Poodle in and out of the elevator... missing dog alot. He stopped eating for 2 days, but seems ok now. But doing bad things like destroying a big metal and plastic lawn sprinkler that he has ignored for the past 8 months of our extended visits.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts