Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard them mentioned before, bu I've ever seen one. Does anybody have a pic, or know where I can find pictures of a Roach Backed Poodle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In your opinion...is Helmet Roach backed?

Sorry...the pics are the most recent I have....but he was playing with my friend's pup.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It is just incorrect skeletal structure of the spine. Every breed has a "standard" of how it should look-like, including a top-line (how top of the back should look -like). With some breeds (roach) line could be normal - for poodle it is not.

It is not a defect - it is just not how poodle should look like. It is unattractive and gives a dog an appearance of defensive, shy posture - complete opposite of what poodle is all about.

The poodle on the photo (black one) is obviously coming from completely inexperienced breeder, for many more reasons but just "roach" back ...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I think the one in the photo is soaken wet though, which may explain why it looks so icky, but I can see what you mean about the shyness the back gives it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Fluffyspoo - No, black poodle has many structural faults unfortunately : (. No matter if it is wet or not...
I know nothing about this little black guy, I just googled roach back to find a picture for this thread... he looks so sad, :( the poor little soul!
I have to admit I do love the look of a nice perfectly straight top line, but it doesn't change the fact that all poodles are sweet and deserve to be loved!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
watch video about the body they show a red dog with a roach back , if you watch the first video they show it standing and you can see its roached back along with a straight front which is a fault.

http://www.dog.com/dog-breeds/poodle/

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Hey, thanks for linking that, Roxy! I just watched all the chaptures and had no idea all the specific things that were judged. I only new about the tail and feed, having no idea about the shoulders, eyes, chin, ears, ect.

It would seem like finding the perfect dog to show is pretty tough!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hey, thanks for linking that, Roxy! I just watched all the chaptures and had no idea all the specific things that were judged. I only new about the tail and feed, having no idea about the shoulders, eyes, chin, ears, ect.

It would seem like finding the perfect dog to show is pretty tough!
There is no such thing as the perfect dog ;) All dogs will have faults but some minor and some severe. This is where the points are added up.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That is a great video! Everyone who thinks conformation is just a beauty contest should watch it. It really explains how conformation affect movement.

I think it's funny that people think Poodles, especially show poodles, are a froo froo breed. They're one of few breeds, where the show dogs can actually still perform. Even the little guys are built well and are muscular. Show Labs, Border Collies and GSDs could never do a job. Poodle breeders deserve credit for that, they've maintained the dogs well.

I also found the black and white show clip interesting. Everyone always says show people have exaggerated the clip in the last decade or so. The dog in that clip had more hair than I've ever seen!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That is a great video! Everyone who thinks conformation is just a beauty contest should watch it. It really explains how conformation affect movement.

I think it's funny that people think Poodles, especially show poodles, are a froo froo breed. They're one of few breeds, where the show dogs can actually still perform. Even the little guys are built well and are muscular. Show Labs, Border Collies and GSDs could never do a job. Poodle breeders deserve credit for that, they've maintained the dogs well.

I also found the black and white show clip interesting. Everyone always says show people have exaggerated the clip in the last decade or so. The dog in that clip had more hair than I've ever seen!
I agree there are only a few breeds that can still do their job( the show dogs) Breeders have kept poodles in great condition.

If you guys buy any book by anna katherine nicholas ( poodless) you can see a lot more hair on poodles back in the day than now. We made our tops knots bigger but the hair around the chest used to be HUGE lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Heatrher - of course all dogs deserve to be loved !!!!!! Every god's creature deserves love ! I hope I did not sound "unloving" about poor black poo : (((- I was just discussing the structural faults : ((. I would take him/her any day in my home to love !

Unfortunately, not all structural "faults" are that benign when dogs are bred without planning or expertise. What might look as just far from standard can also become a big problem for a dog. If hips and shoulders are not well placed and developed - dog might end up with VERY painful joints . Also, if eyes are too protruding they are exposed to injuries and infection. If dog has overbite or underbite it can make chewing difficult and even cause sores in the mouth. I can go on and on with how much "looks" are actually important for the health and function of any dog.

Roxy - thanks for the video posting - great educational tool about confirmation as well as sturdiness of the poodle : ))))) !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wishpoo, you made a great point, it was also pointed out in the video Roxy posted. People who breed "just pets" would have you believe that showing and the official standard are just about looks, but it's so much more than that.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts