Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, Rudolpho International Dog of Love (AKA Rudi) passed on to his great reward.

Rudi, a Toy/Mini poodle mix, came to us 8 years ago from the Boulder Humane Society. Already a geriatric dog, the BHS estimated his age at around 9 yrs old, though it was likely that he was already much older.

Rudi was found wandering the side of a highway, filthy, matted and intact. He was a mish-mash of parts: high in the rear, crooked front legs, exceptionally long in the body, horribly ewe necked and so roach that the center of his back was the highest point of his body. His teeth were so rotten that they eventually all had to be pulled (his tongue hung out of his mouth after that). He was an ugly dog, but we loved him. Shockingly, evidence points the fact that he was probably used as a breeding dog since for long after he was neutered, he still tried to "date" anything that was white and fluffy. :)

Rudi instantly bonded with our family, becoming the particular companion of my husband and daughter, Clare. He was fiercely protective of Clare and woe be unto the unsuspecting boy or man who made what might be construed as a threatening move towards Clare. Rudi would launch all 7 pounds of his toothless, flying furry at the offender. Rudi slept in my daughter's bed and kept faithful watch over my husband as he worked from home. He was a good friend and a good travel companion.

As time passed, Rudi's eyes got cloudy. He lost his hearing and was more frequently incontinent. He often limped and struggled with his arthritic body. Finally the decision was made and we took him in.

As my husband cradled Rudi's body on the car ride home, I asked him, "How are you doing?" He replied, "Fine. He's only sleeping."

God speed Rudi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am so nsorry to hear of your loss - this is a poem that has given me comfort in the past:

Gone From My Sight
by Henry Van Dyke

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I am so nsorry to hear of your loss - this is a poem that has given me comfort in the past:

Gone From My Sight
by Henry Van Dyke

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"
I love that poem, my mom read it at my grandma's funeral.

I'm sorry for your loss Cbrand. He sounds like a special little guy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This gave me great comfort on my Spottie's passing.

'One last word of farewell, dear master and mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loves us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.'

Eugene O'Neill, from his Dalmatian, Blemie's, last will and testament

RIP, dear Rudi. I am so sorry for your family's loss.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Rudi could not have ended up in a better home than with you and your family. I know you will all miss him terribly.

RIP Rudi.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Carol- my condolences to your family. What a great number of years you gave the little dude. he could neve rhave dreamed of better

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you'll miss him. But you gave him a wonderful life, the best years of his life. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this time.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. You offered him kindness and love when he needed it most. You offered him peace when his time came. You honored your friend.
My condolences to your family.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Rudi sounds like he was such a strong little soul. My condolences to your family in his loss. :angel:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
sorry for you lost , I know how it is to loose a special dog :(

·
Registered
708 Posts
So sorry:( I know your heart must ache, but have peace in the fact that he lived a happy late life with a family he loved and that loved him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts