Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made Rio's first grooming appointment for next week. He just turned 4 months and is *almost* potty trained. The groomer said to bring him in at 9 and it will take up to 4 hours before we pick him up. I'm concerned about potty breaks, food and such in 4 hours. I can try to potty him right before, but I would think as his schedule is going he would need to go again in the 4 hours. Do they bring the puppies out?? Such a newbie to all of this. Should I bring toys or anything for him while he's there??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
At our groomer, the dog is in a kennel when they are not on the table or in the tub. They give her water, but no potty breaks or food. By the time we pick her up, she is usually in a big hurry to go.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wouldnt bring any food or toys. You could ask your groomer for an "express" service where they can usually get them out in 2 or more hours. Its for dogs that stress out easy or for owners that are finiky...i mean that in the nicest way too. If for any reason i couldnt groom Mister anymore i KNOW i would be one of those very needy clients and would stay the whole time with him ha ha...
All should go well though just make sure your specific on what kind of clip you want on Rio. And dont forget before and after pics :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Don't bring food or toys, just take him out before and immediately after. You can ask them to let him out since he's a puppy, they should be able to do that. Some groomers do anyways, but others don't. I'm sure if you ask they could do it, but even if they don't I think he'll be fine. :)

(Ooh, yeah like Mister said, take before and after pics!! )

·
Registered
741 Posts
im sure your groomer will make sure she gets a break to pee... 4 hours does seem like a long time for a 4 month old puppy.... what size is rio. i can groom a standard in less than 4 hours

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rio is a Standard, at 4 months (just turned today!) he's already 30 pounds! Is this big? He seems very big to his age to me!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It doesn't seem as if it should take four hours to groom a 4-month old. I groom my 16-month old in full continental in three hours.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
We don't take dogs out to go potty at our salon unless they're OUR own pets. It's a liability if the dogs get off leash, but we have grates at the bottom of the kennel so if they pee they're not stepping in it.. but if they poop.. Well, we just hope they dont' step in it. It's really fun when a dog in say, a long coat, is done after a long grooming session, poops in the kennel, and steps ALL over in it. :doh:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hmmm . ....I personally always do express grooms on new pups - I think the grooming experience is stressful for them and that 4 hours is WAYYY too long to be in my shop. IMO, there is absolutely NO reason to keep that baby for 4 hours.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah, we don't even keep full grooms on adult dogs for 4 hours, a full cut on an adult standard doesn't even take that long. xP

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
When I took my Poms it took persmart 4 1/2 hours. And they did literly nothing to them because they told me I had done a great job maintaining their coats. And charged me $120

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The shop I work at cage dries longer haired dogs while they work on another dog to save time. It could be similar in the place you're going to. I doubt it takes a full 4 hours to groom your one puppy (that would be outrageous!!), but they may need to get him in at a certain time and may not begin grooming him immediately. And they may have to set him aside to finish up another dog, etc. It takes a bit longer than if you did it all in one sitting, but it's more efficient when they are grooming multiple dogs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the cage drying is what she does...

Gosh now I'm second guessing the appointment. We live in a small town so there are not many options, but I might try to look a little more... I really don't want his first to be a bad experience.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Other than this one place there are several "mobile grooming" here. Has anyone had experiences with these? Do they tend to cost more than a reg groomer?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I personally think that a poodle MUST be hand dryed to achieve the fluffiness and get the curl out of the coat. If you let a poodle cage dry, then the curls/waves in the coat are impossible to straighten out to get a smoth finish in the cut.

I do both grooming in my home AND (in the clients' home) mobile grooming and I can tell you that I do charge more for mobile grooming - about $20 more.

If I were you, I'd look a little further for a groomer. I have clients come to me from over an hour away, even though there are a ton of groomers all around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts