Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Rios first groom... he was there from 9:30-2:00. When she called me she said he seemed to have enough so they never got to clipping his body, just face, sanitary, feet (just in between the pads) cleaned his ears and clipped the nails.

His coat was very curly when I came to get him, after a bath and blow at home he is much straighter! At first I thought she didn't bathe him at all!

I made an appt in 2 weeks to do the body clipping, I'm a little worried about the amount of curl in his hair when I picked him up, not because I love him straight, but because when she does do his body, I want the best cut she can manage... Should I say something? I could walk and find someone else, but to drive an hour then wait how many hours it takes with my 3 year old and drive after might be a little much... I'm really hoping this lady turns out to impress me more this next time. There was a white standard that was on the table when I came in, her hair looked pretty straight. Do you think since my Rio is a puppy and maybe harder to handle she just didn't bother as much?? She did say she didn't want to traumatize him.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Just got back from Rios first groom... he was there from 9:30-2:00. When she called me she said he seemed to have enough so they never got to clipping his body, just face, sanitary, feet (just in between the pads) cleaned his ears and clipped the nails.

His coat was very curly when I came to get him, after a bath and blow at home he is much straighter! At first I thought she didn't bathe him at all!

I made an appt in 2 weeks to do the body clipping, I'm a little worried about the amount of curl in his hair when I picked him up, not because I love him straight, but because when she does do his body, I want the best cut she can manage... Should I say something? I could walk and find someone else, but to drive an hour then wait how many hours it takes with my 3 year old and drive after might be a little much... I'm really hoping this lady turns out to impress me more this next time. There was a white standard that was on the table when I came in, her hair looked pretty straight. Do you think since my Rio is a puppy and maybe harder to handle she just didn't bother as much?? She did say she didn't want to traumatize him.
9:30-2:00 and all she got to was bath/dry, face, feet and nails? Really? I bet he is curly because they cage dried him.

·
Registered
356 Posts
OMG - FIVE hours in the groomer's ? ? ? ?? Absolutely unbelievable and sad. Very sad.

I'm betting that he was cage dried too and that's why his coat is still so curly. Ten lashes to that groomer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Live and learn, don't beat yourself up about it, but seriously, DON'T go back and give her a second chance! For Rogan's first groom I stayed there the whole entire time... watched, and learned. The groomer was very open to me staying ( I realise some groomers can or will not accomodate this) but quite honestly, it's the only way I was willing to do it. I wanted to learn and I wanted her to show me! I was lucky I guess. Since then I've been doing all his grooming myself.. it's fun, and easy to learn with a little practise (remember hair grows back!) AND you'll save tons of $$! Plus ... sounds to me like you'll do a better job at home then this groomer does in FIVE hours! Thats insane! :doh:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Just some time perspective....

Since my last post in this thread, I went down to do some work on Sabrina. I:

Shaved 2 feet.
Gave her a sanitary trim.
Brushed her out.
Blew the dust out of her coat.

Note.... I am very slow. My time? 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
See thats what happened to me at PetSmart. And to boot they charged me full price for both dogs and no clipping because they said I had them groomed so well:rolffleyes: - so $120.00 for 2 baths and they were not blown out. They were damp when I picked them up. I would find someone else.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just some time perspective....

Since my last post in this thread, I went down to do some work on Sabrina. I:

Shaved 2 feet.
Gave her a sanitary trim.
Brushed her out.
Blew the dust out of her coat.

Note.... I am very slow. My time? 30 minutes.
:top: 30 min! that sounds about right! nice job! Sounds like me, 2 feet at a time usually...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See thats what happened to me at PetSmart. And to boot they charged me full price for both dogs and no clipping because they said I had them groomed so well:rolffleyes: - so $120.00 for 2 baths and they were not blown out. They were damp when I picked them up. I would find someone else.
That's what this lady said, that he didn't have a single mat so he really didn't need to have his body clipped! His puppy frizz is in full affect and I was really looking forward to getting some of it cut off. :( She charged us $50.00 for 5 hours of waiting! I felt so bad with the little guy ran outside immediately to pee, like he HAD to go for some time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm getting more and more mad every time I look at him!! It doesn't even look like he's been washed since he is so curly!! I almost feel like she just took me for someone that doesn't know any better so she didn't have to give my dog the full service. I called her right after the appt and made the 2nd appt... and now I'm thinking (pretty sure!!) I'll be canceling. I really want to be able to talk to her and make this work, but so many times have gotten sh8t on before I realize I've given someone too many chances and I should have known better :(

Sad sad... Looks like Rio might have to suffer from a few hack jobs done by muah.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would definitely call and let her know your concerns. Tell her exactly what bothered you, and see if she can fix it in the future. She may have thought that since he was a puppy, she didn't want to stress him out by blow drying him or something like that, I dunno. I don't know if you should go back, but definitely tell her.

That groom sounds sloppy though, I'd complain. I'd love to see pictures though. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm wondering if she even attempted to force dry him.. normally puppies hate it, but you have to get them used to the sound and the feeling of it so they don't freak out when they're older. I'd look elsewhere, that's way too long for a puppy groom (fft+bath)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I agree with all the other advice, but in paticular TALK to the groomer first!
Maybe he was a real ass to blow dry (??) so she cage dried him, and note that it'd take a long time for long hair to dry purely in a cage dryer so perhaps that is why he took sooo long.

But in saying all of that, I personally disagree with cage drying a pup (or any poodle/bichon type coat) at all, and hand dry all my pups FOR that very reason, just turn it down low and take off the concentrator nozzle if they're silly; they won't learn from being cage dried! FFT on a wriggly puppy might take 20 mins to do and won't be perfect if he's a wriggler (I prefer an inperfect first groom as long as we can play around and work up from there!), and bath shouldn't take more than 5-10 mins too. Drying a wriggly spoo pup could take an hour or more, and again it may not be perfectly straight etc, especially around the head and ears (finish on a good note; if the pup is letting me dry their head and ears by then, then we don't push for a perfect job right away, as long as they're not wet and curled, a touch of dampness around the edges we can cope with!) but even with all of that it wouldn't be more than 2 hours... Cage drying a long coat could take a number of hours though.

Have a chat to the groomer, tell them your concerns and if she convinces you enough you can give her another chance, otherwise cancel. Personally I much prefer someone came and talked to me (or even emailed me!) about something they weren't happy with rather than cancel and disappear, never to be heard from again... She might be defensive and not like it, but then you'll know and cancel. She could also be very apologetic and promise to fluff dry him properly and not draw it out so long next time too...

·
Registered
235 Posts
When she realized she wasn't going to be able or willing to do a full groom on him did she at least call you to let you know? It generally doesn't cost more than $20 here for a fft and not over $35 for fft, bath and brush and there is usually a puppy or first time trim discount. Maybe $50 for bath, brush and fft is normal elseware though. Do only poodles with matts get clipped? No, so that reason for not grooming him is just silly. Maybe there was another reason but it really does sound like you got taken to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So before anyone thinks the face was meant to be a close shave it wasn't, we do like it a little scruffy (eeks I know, I'm in the minority on this one!) Sorry, not great pics, it was hard to get detail with my flash and I couldn't get Rio to stay still to take it w/out the flash (blurry)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the pictures show how curly he is... I at first thought he wasn't bathed when he brought him out, but didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure if it was standard or not to bathe before clipping. Once I got home and did the "sniff" test all over, I could tell he was washed, just not brushed out and dried real good. It is hard to see in the pictures, I think it doesn't look too bad in the pictures...

Ok--we'll now I can go give him a good brushing and try to get some of the satisfaction I was looking for earlier :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where are you located? Perhaps someone can recommend a groomer in your area.
I'm located in the middle of nowhere. I've looked and looked today and the next nearest groomer is about 30 min away. I called her and she also has you drop the dog off 9 in the morning and said they are usually done by 1, sometimes later. Is this normal with grooming places?? Are these groomers just overbooked so they have them all come in and wait turns?? She also said she does both cage drying and hand.... I'm thinking the other lady did all cage. In the places like under Rio's neck, between legs and behind are very curly, it makes sense that he was curled up getting dried the whole time.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If she cage dried him the she obviously did not brush him. He would of matted up very quickly if you didnt brush him. Personally, if i had to go home and brush my dog the same day he was groomed i would find another place (well, id call first and if i dont get a good reason or apology i wouldnt go back). I would want a price break on my next groom too as she didnt even brush him out (i might be forgiveable on the drying/clipping, but not brushing).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts